Re: GUI Development...

Michael Durkin

Not sure if i retrieved every thing needed .. but on openSUSE

sudo zypper in python-Kivy

KC7NOA

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 9:21 PM Marty Wittrock <martywittrock@...> wrote:
Edouard,

I set up an environment for Kivy on Win10 and installed the knobs GUI in Kivy (along with everything else they offer for examples). Here is how I installed it for Win10, you CAN install it for Linux as well:

Windows 10 Install:
------------------------

Installing the kivy stable release

Warning

Kivy 1.11.1 is the last release that supports Python 2.

Now that python is installed, open the Command line and make sure python is available by typing python --version. Then, do the following to create a new virtual environment (optionally) and install the most recent stable kivy release (1.11.1) and its dependencies.

  1. Ensure you have the latest pip, wheel, and virtualenv:

    python -m pip install --upgrade pip wheel setuptools virtualenv

    Optionally create a new virtual environment for your Kivy project. Highly recommended:

    1. First create the environment named kivy_venv in your current directory:

      python -m virtualenv kivy_venv

    2. Activate the virtual environment. You’ll have to do this step from the current directory every time you start a new terminal. On windows CMD do:

      kivy_venv\Scripts\activate

      If you’re in a bash terminal, instead do:

      source kivy_venv/Scripts/activate

    Your terminal should now preface the path with something like (kivy_venv), indicating that the kivy_venv environment is active. If it doesn’t say that, the virtual environment is not active.

  2. Install the dependencies (skip gstreamer (~120MB) if not needed, see Kivy’s dependencies). If you are upgrading Kivy, see Updating Kivy from a previous release:

    python -m pip install docutils pygments pypiwin32 kivy_deps.sdl2==0.1.22 kivy_deps.glew==0.1.12
    python -m pip install kivy_deps.gstreamer==0.1.17

    1. Install kivy:

      python -m pip install kivy==1.11.1

    2. (Optionally) Install the kivy examples:

      python -m pip install kivy_examples==1.11.1

      The examples are installed in the share directory under the root directory where python is installed.

    That’s it. You should now be able to import kivy in python or run a basic example if you installed the kivy examples:

    python kivy_venv\share\kivy-examples\demo\showcase\main.py

    Now...to install the garden.knob Kivy app, you do this (I cut/pasted it from the link I sent this morning - I just posted how to do the knob install for Kivy):

    For those trying to install the knobs for Kivy under Windows 10, all you have to do once you have Kivy installed is to do the following on the Command Prompt:    garden install garden.knob      ...this will install the garden.knob app using the Kivy installer for apps from Github and located in the 'kivy-garden' subdirectory on Github. Once you have that installed, you can download the entire folder from https://github.com/kivy-garden/garden.knob and then locate it (copy paste using Windows File Explorer) under the Users\<your username>\kivy_venv\share\kivy-examples\      subdirectory. Go to that subdirectory in the Command Prompt and then on the command line type the following: python example.py and VIOLA - you'll see the knobs appear on a panel and you can play with them..! HAVE FUN WITH IT..!!

    And so there it is...You'll have a Kivy environment and all you need it Python 2.7 to make it happen (it's necessary since Kivy is based on Python). Check out the other apps and demos they have...There is one demo you can try with this command on the Command Prompt:

    python kivy_venv\share\kivy-examples\demo\showcase\main.py

    That will show you A LOT of other examples to use with Kivy, too.

    Have fun with it, I know I will be with SDRAngel and the Lime..!!

    73 de Marty, KN0CK