Topics

Topics for next SDIBP meeting

Hi everyone,

The next SDIBP (San Diego Independent Business Professionals) meeting is one week from this coming Thursday on June 20th. As usual, I am behind in planning this meeting, but rather than panic I thought I would solicit the group for ideas on topics for future meetings - both this next one and meetings for the rest of the year.  Do you have topics you would like to discuss, or a specific speaker or subject matter expert you would like to hear? - or maybe you would like to present some topic yourself? Please post your ideas on this thread. Off the top of my head, here are a few topics I think might be interesting:

  • Going Global - is it possible for independent professionals?  How to find and secure clients in other countries.
  • Differences Between Startup Founders and Self-Employed Professionals How are we different? How are we the same? What can we learn from each other?
  • Productivity tools and tips. Bring in your laptops and share your best tools for getting things done and tracking information about your business.
  • Brain Storming Tools and Techniques. Best ways to get new ideas about improving your business or solving problems for your business and customers.
  • Remote Working and Video Conferencing. Best technologies and techniques for remote working. Getting "non-local" customers and best practices for managing remote projects.
  • Cooperation and Collaboration. Working effectively with "stakeholders" on customer projects and getting their cooperations. Best tools and technologies for online collaboration.
  • Getting Things Done.  Project and time management technologies and techniques for self-employed practices.

I don't have any specific speakers in mind for these topics, but do any of them tickle your fancy? What are some of your ideas for topics you would like to discuss or learn about? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

Andrea Schwartz

Hi Rob!

I no longer have a time conflict with this meeting during the summer.

I have two ideas I would like to learns about. Not necessarily in line with your goals but I would love to have an individual from our group or someone who's not selling anything to us, tell us how they make money from Instagram (either by selling directly or becoming an influencer and having brands pay them), or make money from YouTube.

(The only person I know who does this lives in London and has a heavy Italian accent, so a video speech wouldn't work. And she started so long ago it was at a time when Instagram would assign followers to you so that you became an influencer)

Just my thoughts! Thanks for reading.

Andrea

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM, Rob Gordon
<rob@...> wrote:

[...]

Awesome Andrea - it will be nice to see you again and there is nothing I like more than fairly firm RSVPs.

I am not at all big on Instagram or any Facebook owned company these days - personally I think the signs that they are in decline are everywhere except on those platforms themselves.  Like you said about your friend, she started long ago when it was easy to get followers and become an "influencer" (I truly hate that word).

That being said, if more than a few people what that topic and we find someone who is good at it we can certainly cover it.   The Youtube idea appeals to me a bit more, mostly because it has lots of uses beyond social media and advertising and is easier to use than most people think.  If you (or anyone) knows someone who can cover that topic please let me know.

Unless someone comes up with another idea and speaker soon - like within the next few hours, I am thinking of doing the next one myself - the "productivity tools and tips" one where we bring our laptops and share our favorite techniques.   One thing most of us don't get all that often is the chance to work directly with others.  Whenever I do, I learn new things I could be doing better of more efficiently.  For example, Megan kept taking about Grammerly at our last meeting, and it really is a good spell checker I have been using more lately.  The only possible hangup - the battery on my laptop dies and I will need to find a new one before next Thursday.

It would be great if you could make it - I have learned that meetings don't need to be huge to be successful and with just a few others we can have a nice meeting.  I rather enjoyed the meeting Wendy hosted last week - there were six of us I think but I got quite a bit out of it.

Rob

CJ Gilbert

I am also looking forward to attending here as often as possible in the coming months.
I've had conflicts the last several meetings, and yet I will be there this coming week!

I'm happy to learn whatever topic you decide, and contribute and support you all as much as I can.

Talk soon,
__cj

--
.