SOTA Activation from Switzerland

Marc (M0KYB)

Hi all,

I am taking my HF radio with me to Switzerland tomorrow and will be activating a SOTA (Summits-on-the-Air) summit while I am there. Not sure which day this week yet, I will put the details on this thread as soon as I know.

I will probably go for summit ZH-004 (Bachtel) near Zurich, height of 3658ft (1115m), see link below:

https://sotl.as/summits/HB/ZH-004

I will be operating as HB9/M0KYB from SOTA reference HB/ZH-004 using a Yaesu FT-840 on 20m or 40m, 50W into EFHW wire with 7Ah LiFePo battery. I will hopefully be on for 1-1.5 hours. It would be great if I could work some club members from the summit.

I will keep you updated.

73
Marc

Graham (G4OED)

Hi Marc,

On Google Maps, it looks like a very civilised summit!!

73
Graham

On 29 Mar 2022, at 00:16, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am taking my HF radio with me to Switzerland tomorrow and will be activating a SOTA (Summits-on-the-Air) summit while I am there. Not sure which day this week yet, I will put the details on this thread as soon as I know.

I will probably go for summit ZH-004 (Bachtel) near Zurich, height of 3658ft (1115m), see link below:

https://sotl.as/summits/HB/ZH-004

I will be operating as HB9/M0KYB from SOTA reference HB/ZH-004 using a Yaesu FT-840 on 20m or 40m, 50W into EFHW wire with 7Ah LiFePo battery. I will hopefully be on for 1-1.5 hours. It would be great if I could work some club members from the summit.

I will keep you updated.

73
Marc

Marc (M0KYB)

Hi Graham,

Yes, in comparison to some of the other summits in Switzerland you are definitely right! I didn’t want my first to be too stupid. I will be hiking up though, a stiff 90min hike with a 10kg rucksack. One of the summits there is 4600m or about 14000 feet!!

Marc

elwyn.carter@...

Marc, I will do my best to listen out for you, once I now date and time.

I have worked Sweden the other day , don’t know what power he was running though.

Hope you have a great time

Elwyn.

Yes, in comparison to some of the other summits in Switzerland you are definitely right! I didn’t want my first to be too stupid. I will be hiking up though, a stiff 90min hike with a 10kg rucksack. One of the summits there is 4600m or about 14000 feet!!

Marc

Bob G0VTA

Take a camera, I can feel a club talk coming on!

On 29 Mar 2022, at 14:31, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Hi Graham,

Yes, in comparison to some of the other summits in Switzerland you are definitely right! I didn’t want my first to be too stupid. I will be hiking up though, a stiff 90min hike with a 10kg rucksack. One of the summits there is 4600m or about 14000 feet!!

Marc

Den (M0ACM)

That sounds like a cracking idea, Bob !

U upfor that MT ??

Den

Marc (M0KYB)

I’ll see what I can do guys, I do have a camera with me …

Marc

Marc (M0KYB)

Having a practice run in my daughter’s garden in Zurich. If anybody is on their HF radio, calling CQ on 14.275.

Marc

Bob G0VTA

Listening now?

On 30 Mar 2022, at 13:19, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Having a practice run in my daughter’s garden in Zurich. If anybody is on their HF radio, calling CQ on 14.275.

Marc

Bob G0VTA

I believe I heard you Marc but my antenna is nothing to write home about and you were down in the noise. Bob, G0VTA

On 30 Mar 2022, at 13:19, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Having a practice run in my daughter’s garden in Zurich. If anybody is on their HF radio, calling CQ on 14.275.

Marc

Marc (M0KYB)

Hi all,

I will be activating Burglen HB/ZH-006 today, hopefully between 12.30 and 2.30pm if all goes well.

20m band, probably somewhere around 14.275 or thereabouts.

https://sotl.as/summits/HB/ZH-006

Hopefully talk to some of you!

73
Marc

elwyn.carter@...

I will see if I can hear you Marc.

Elwyn

I will be activating Burglen HB/ZH-006 today, hopefully between 12.30 and 2.30pm if all goes well.

20m band, probably somewhere around 14.275 or thereabouts.

https://sotl.as/summits/HB/ZH-006

Hopefully talk to some of you!

73
Marc