Logging of QSOs when using repeaters on U/VHF

Neal (M7TDV)

Good morning all,

Apologies for these newbie questions.. I have searched for an answers previously but haven't found a satisfactory ones. I have just been thinking about this again this morning since noticing the Worked All Members 2022 challenge is up and reading the rules (thank you for setting it up by the way).

To date I haven't logged any QSOs via V/UHF repeaters. I know many people don't. But would be advantageous for me to do so to join in with the Worked All Members. So my question is simply do I log the input or output frequency of the repeater in my log? Or does it not matter? I have read that on some software and websites it doesn't matter as long as the band the frequency is on is the same. Sorry again for asking, I have my HF logging pretty much sussed now, but extremely new to the higher frequencies.

If it makes any difference to the answer, I use Station Master Cloud website to submit logs which automatically syncs with QRZ.com. I also periodically import/export between QRZ and LotW.

Separate but related newbie question, should net QSOs (e.g. like the Monday night ones) be logged, or is that a no? If yes, what sort of info should be put into the log?

Neal

James (M1DST)

Hi Neal,

The easy answer to this is you should always log your transmission frequency if only logging a single frequency.  Most logging apps with rig integration are smart enough to know your tx and rx frequency and log both.

Logging of a net is entirely up to you.  I'll let others hop in with opinions on what to log.  I'll give you a hint ref the club comp.  The more callsigns in your log that you work, the more points you score. ;-)

James
M1DST

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 at 08:34, Neal (M7TDV) <ttblood@...> wrote:
[...]

Den (M0ACM)

Hi Neal.

Well done on keeping the radar on re the WAM Award!  It only went up yesterday after James and I had tweaked one little Rule to make things even more flexible!

The thing about 'newbie' questions is that like yours, they are exactly the same questions that everybody else is likely to have buzzing round in their head - but don't feel it 'appropriate' to ask!

So your questions are very helpful to everyone. Lets get started.

So, to frequencies. WE are unlikely to be nit-picking on frequencies for WAM, but my gut reaction is that you log your TX frequency. WE will worry if someone does a cross-band QSO !!

As for WHICH QSOs to log ..... ALL of them count - whether in a net or not as long as you have heard them and they have heard you during the net. (Controllers: it may be worth participants being encouraged to declare Sig Reports for who they are hearing on each net)

Aah, I see James' response too, so you will see we are on the same frequency !!!!

Good luck all.

73

Den

elwyn.carter@...

Hi Guys, I have no problem logging all contact’s as I always have , I log all contest, repeater and simplex calls. I am old school I like to be able to refer back to a previous contact in  the log if I can’t remember the person’s name or location. Now I am on HF I like to keep a logs of all countries worked. I always log my transmit signal, and as mentioned before I still us a paper logbook.

Elwyn

G8EFK.

[...]

One other quick comment, how would I know if I worked all members , because as you know we have no Access to a list of club members because of Data protection.

Elwyn

[...]

The magic thing is you don't need to know.  The software works it out for you.  Just submit your log.
I can assure you though, you won't "work all members" as some don't ever use the radio.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 at 10:43, elwyn.carter via groups.io <elwyn.carter=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Two answers to that, Elwyn:

1. Let the software sort out who is or is not a member. Just upload the complete log*

2. We have been discussed this removal of the Members List and have (probably) agreed on a way forward which will be declared once agreed.

* Anyone who paper logs IS at a disadvantage there. Acknowledged.

However in 2022, the feeling is that this number is small within SDARC. Let us know here if YOU paper log so we can gauge the situation.

Den

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022, 10:43 AM elwyn.carter via groups.io <elwyn.carter=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Gareth (G4SDW) <headstone255@...>

Bore da, Elwyn! Sut dych chi?

I know that like me, you were licensed in August 1970 because I got G8DXY and
my oppo, with whom I sat the RAE at Colchester Tech, got G8EFU !
I continue to keep a paper log book, and continue to record everything,
including unanswered CQ calls and tests; the tests that are one of the things
that distinguishes the genuine amateur from the glorified CBer who
is operator-only with ready--made rigs. Amateur radio is primarily a
technical pursuit with operating only coming as a secondary
consideration to evaluate

73 DE Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 10:41 AM, <elwyn.carter@...> wrote:
Hi Guys, I have no problem logging all contact’s as I always have , I log
all contest, repeater and simplex calls. I am old school I like to be able to
refer back to a previous contact in the log if I can’t remember the
person’s name or location. Now I am on HF I like to keep a logs of all
countries worked. I always log my transmit signal, and as mentioned before I
still us a paper logbook.
Elwyn
G8EFK.

Den (M0ACM)

Diolch yn fawr, Gareth.

That makes 3 on paper so far.

Keep the feed coming folks so we have a gooder idea of numbers !!

73

Den.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022, 11:41 AM Gareth (G4SDW) via groups.io <headstone255=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bore da, Elwyn! Sut dych chi?

I know that like me, you were licensed in August 1970 because I got G8DXY and
my oppo, with whom I sat the RAE at Colchester Tech, got G8EFU !
I continue to keep a paper log book, and continue to record everything,
including unanswered CQ calls and tests; the tests that are one of the things
that distinguishes the genuine amateur from the glorified CBer who
is operator-only with ready--made rigs. Amateur radio is primarily a
technical pursuit with operating only coming as a secondary
consideration to evaluate

73 DE Gareth G4SDW (ne G8DXY) GQRP #3339

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 10:41 AM, <elwyn.carter@...> wrote:
> Hi Guys, I have no problem logging all contact’s as I always have , I log
> all contest, repeater and simplex calls. I am old school I like to be able to
> refer back to a previous contact in  the log if I can’t remember the
> person’s name or location. Now I am on HF I like to keep a logs of all
> countries worked. I always log my transmit signal, and as mentioned before I
> still us a paper logbook.
> Elwyn
> G8EFK.

Neal (M7TDV)

Thank you for answering, and to all others who have done so too. All very helpful.

A few have mentioned logging every transmission made. I have read in other places that some do not log certain transmissions, e.g. V/UHF when mobile (actually mobile in a car), mostly because of the difficulties in doing so safely. Does anyone log these, and if so how do you do so.. a good memory for callsigns and times and log it when stationary?

Neal

James (M1DST)

I never log mobile transmissions.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 at 13:49, Neal (M7TDV) <ttblood@...> wrote:
Thank you for answering, and to all others who have done so too. All very helpful.

A few have mentioned logging every transmission made. I have read in other places that some do not log certain transmissions, e.g. V/UHF when mobile (actually mobile in a car), mostly because of the difficulties in doing so safely. Does anyone log these, and if so how do you do so.. a good memory for callsigns and times and log it when stationary?

Neal

Den (M0ACM)

You are 100% right, Neal. The rquirement for logging /m went some 40+ years ago and most people do not, have hardly ever, logged /m unless it was a truly memorable qso with someone in some way special that was logged when parked up/home.

/P (ie stationary 'mobile' - dare I use the term "square wheeled" !) is different.

The key requirement on the road is SAFETY SAFETY and SAFETY (to amend Tony Blair!).

Especially with the changes in the laws regarding the use of phones and other mobile communications devices, GREAT care needs to be taken not only for your and others' safety but also not to demonstrate 'careless driving' to nic-nic or someone with a dashcam!

So in practice, my best advice is to remember as many of those you worked till safe to log the QSO. If you later log the QSO as /m, we will know how 'elastic' the time might be and deal suitably.

Hope than helps.

Den

Cliff (G3MNJ)

Well Neal your question certainly started a conversation.

As you know it is no longer a requirement to keep a log unless required to do so by OFCOM. So why bother? Years later one can look back and remember those we used to work. In my case G2, G3 and G8 with two letter suffixes. Days of 160m band mobile in a Ford Anglia with a huge whip on the rear bumper and a rig under the dashboard in the passenger footwell.

Modern day rigs and electronic logging mean the two can be integrated which means contacts can be uploaded electronically making it easier to claim awards. No longer having to wait weeks, months or even years for that elusive QSL card to come via the bureau.

Repeater contacts and the local club net? log them. Up to now I have only been entering my initial call to the net control station in the log. With this years WAM competition underway, Looks like I will need to revise my procedures.

Even in 1977 there were different logging requirements for home and mobile stations. I have just looked at an old licence. At home the licensee had to record the times the station was opened and closed down as well as all calls including CQ's and all entries had to be made at that time. Mobile, calls could be logged at the end of the journey and the requirements were slightly less onerous. A nod to safety?

Regards

Cliff G3MNJ

Mike (G4HGV)

Cliff you reminded me that I recently found my old mobile logbook (and the required additional mobile licence)! How times have changed.

I only have automatic logging on digital modes using WSJT-X, fldigi and JS8Call so unlikely to be entering WAM.