IOTA 2022

Marc (M0KYB)

Did anybody else have a go at the IOTA contest?

Conditions were not brilliant, very little heard from north or south America, Asia or Oceania but lots of European activity.
I entered the 12-hour section in Single Operator, Low Power, All Bands, SSB. Finished with a little sprint at the end, 51 contacts in the last hour.
Ended up with just under 300 contacts in total, 52 different islands, 90 multipliers. Results below.

73
Marc

Den (M0ACM)

Hi Marc.

Well done on mounting an IOTA station (/P or QTHR?).

My plan was to do my 'usual' IOTA session too....

I came away into the Cotswolds with a /P 100w SSB station with a view to entering the 12h section.

Starting on 20m, I worked the States, Cyprus, North Africa and lots of EU stations - including Ian YBY with his French callsign!

Unfortunately, although I THOUGHT I had come alone, I found I had an unwanted stowaway - a Gremlin (that I had not fed!)...

I became aware of worrying EMC issues with my sigs having random effects on the control board of the motorhome fridge and on its main control panel. In addition, even tho they were ALL off, there were random effects with the ventilation fan and in different LED light circuits!

The effects varied with the band but one or other of the gremlins took centre stage every time!! They only 'behaved' when I went QRP.

At that stage, I wasn't being heard even in near EU so bearing in mind the QRO++ competition, I folded .... and found other fun things to do!

Shame, but it has created a whole gamme of new challenges on which to focus before my next 100w outing.

Acme

Neal (M7TDV)

Hi Marc. For me, no, or not a proper go at it at least. Unfortunately most of my spare time is being taken going back and forth to do visits at the hospital and will be for some months yet. But on a positive, I did have a few minutes on the radio and managed Market Reef which is a new one for me on 10m, so I was pleased with that one.

You've managed a good selection. Very well done.

Neal

Marc (M0KYB)

Oh dear Den, what a shame! I do like this contest, everyone was well behaved, it seems a bit more civil than CQWW for example, less aggressive.
Does that mean you'll be selling the motorhome now ;-), no point hanging on to it if it's going to mess up your contests!

Marc

Graham (G4OED)

Well done Marc,

Thanks for the contacts.

I entered the same category as you, but assisted.

113 QSO’s, 24 islands (5 continents), 42 multipliers. Total score (I think) 44,310.

I am always surprised how far I can get with my compromised aerials.  I use a loaded vertical of about 7m for 40m and fan dipoles in the loft for the other bands.  Only the 10m dipole is the correct length.  The ATU makes the 17m wires to work on 15 and 20m.

Den, good luck with the project… or maybe you should sign /disco!

73
Graham G4OED

On 31 Jul 2022, at 21:17, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Did anybody else have a go at the IOTA contest?

Conditions were not brilliant, very little heard from north or south America, Asia or Oceania but lots of European activity.
I entered the 12-hour section in Single Operator, Low Power, All Bands, SSB. Finished with a little sprint at the end, 51 contacts in the last hour.
Ended up with just under 300 contacts in total, 52 different islands, 90 multipliers. Results below.

<IOTA2022.jpg>

<IOTA2022b.jpg>

73
Marc

Den (M0ACM)

Ça me fait rigoler !
Pour citer le Gérérale, lui-même : NON !!

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022, 9:50 AM Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:
Oh dear Den, what a shame! I do like this contest, everyone was well behaved, it seems a bit more civil than CQWW for example, less aggressive.
Does that mean you'll be selling the motorhome now ;-), no point hanging on to it if it's going to mess up your contests!

Marc

Marc (M0KYB)

The IOTA 2022 results are now published :

https://www.rsgbcc.org/cgi-bin/hfresults.pl?Contest=IOTA%20Contest&year=2022

Very pleased to report I came 2nd in my category, beaten by MI0I. Well done to everyone, it looks like quite a few club members put in a good performance.

73
Marc

James (M1DST)

All help towards keeping the SCC.