Introduction & request ...

Philip Perkins

Greetings!  My name is Philip Perkins. I have been doing astrophotography for 30+ years (images on www.astrocruise.com) and have given three talks to Swindon Stargazers. Now I want to get into radio. I had good education on the basics as part of an advanced Radio Relay tech course while in the Army. I am studying the RSGB manuals and currently I'm half way through the Intermediate manual. All straightforward and logical. I want to take over my late brother's callsign of G3PPB and OFCOM have agreed this is possible when I have passed the full exam. Simultaneously I want to put up an HF dipole in my rear garden - details in the attachment. A few years ago I would have done this myself, but now I'm a bit too ancient! Is it possible that someone could help me? That would be absolutely wonderul if so!  73s, Philip

Gareth (G4SDW) <headstone255@...>

Philip, good luck with that idea.

I suggest that you do not waste time with Foundation and Intermediate
licences on your way to the Full licence, "In your journey through life,
remember this role, keep you eye on the doughnut and not on the hole!"

(I, for one,have been firmly opposed to the Foundation licence since its
inception and have never QSOd with such a licensee)

Here in Chippenham we have a licensed G4 TV repairman who does
all of our amateur aerial installations, and, depending on where you are,
he might be prepared to travel.

73 and best wishes,

Gareth G4SDW (1983) ex-G8DXY(1970)

30+ years (images on www.astrocruise.com ( http://www.astrocruise.com ) ) and
have given three talks to Swindon Stargazers. Now I want to get into radio. I
had good education on the basics as part of an advanced Radio Relay tech
course while in the Army. I am studying the RSGB manuals and currently I'm
half way through the Intermediate manual. All straightforward and logical. I
want to take over my late brother's callsign of G3PPB and OFCOM have agreed
this is possible when I have passed the full exam. Simultaneously I want to
put up an HF dipole in my rear garden - details in the attachment. A few years
ago I would have done this myself, but now I'm a bit too ancient! Is it
possible that someone could help me? That would be absolutely wonderul if
so!  73s, Philip

Darren G1ERM

Philip,
I could help with the installation.
I think you need these things doing:

(1) eye bolt fitting to the Apex.
Is the flat roof with chippings? If so, I'm wondering if it is OK to put a ladder on it. If the chippings can be brushed aside that would be OK. It would be good to use some board on the flat roof to spread the ladder's weight.
I'm assuming there's room to work around the skylight in the flat roof.

(2) hole through wall into extension/shack for coax.

(3) 7.6m mast - I see you have this in the very corner of the garden. Could this be supported by anything, maybe attached to the rear of the shed? Or do you have an idea for how this can be fitted?

(4) ground rod. I'm aware of these    https://www.screwfix.com/p/earth-rod-3-8-x-4/28044    being used, see the reviews where using for ham radio is mentioned. I haven't done this job myself, but I have a friend who has done this successfully with these Screwfix rods.

Darren, G1ERM (Swindon).

Philip Perkins

Wow Darren, that's beyond fantastic! :}
Comments in line below:

At 15:44 10/04/2022, you wrote:
Philip,
I could help with the installation.
I think you need these things doing:

(1) eye bolt fitting to the Apex.
Exactly! If possible (and not too much of a pain), an insulator attached prior to the eye bolt, and a swivelling eye bolt, or even a swivelling pulley?  I am considering using the ZS6BW antenna, in which case there will be about 3m excess cable at both ends which I would like to 'dog leg' down to nearer ground level (via nylon cord), and attach to wall with a cleat hook - to enable antenna to be lowered for repair, etc.

I don't know about the apparent need for 40 feet of ladder line - whether the antenna can still work if this is cut short, or if not whether the ladder line can be 'concertinerd' in the air. I will ask the supplier.

Is the flat roof with chippings? If so, I'm wondering if it is OK to put a ladder on it. If the chippings can be brushed aside that would be OK. It would be good to use some board on the flat roof to spread the ladder's weight.
Yes, chippings on flat roof, but quite loose, so can be brushed aside and a board placed firmly to support the ladder.

I'm assuming there's room to work around the skylight in the flat roof.
I think it's OK - we've had cleaners doing the facias and soffits up there just a week ago. They are around here frequently so I'll ask them about ladder placement. I think our long extending ladder should be fine. I can't actually lift it at the moment - I'm going in for spinal surgery tomorrow but should be responding again by Wednesday / Thursday.

(2) hole through wall into extension/shack for coax.
Exactly. Anchored in some way of course - I don't know whether it's OK to put the coax directly thru wall or if there should be an external connector. Probably the latter because I may want to look at fitting a lightning arrestor.

(3) 7.6m mast - I see you have this in the very corner of the garden. Could this be supported by anything, maybe attached to the rear of the shed? Or do you have an idea for how this can be fitted?
Yes! it can be supported by the back of the shed (actually a 'summer house-} but preferably with a stand-off to take it as far into the corner as possible (not actually into the hedge). Hopefully the base can just be a hole in the ground - filled perhaps with that 'fast-crete' stuff. Again, insulator and pulley at top of pole, then 'dog leg' down the pole to be extended with insulator and nylon cord and tied off with cleat hook.

(4) ground rod. I'm aware of these    https://www.screwfix.com/p/earth-rod-3-8-x-4/28044    being used, see the reviews where using for ham radio is mentioned. I haven't done this job myself, but I have a friend who has done this successfully with these Screwfix rods.
Yes, I've seen these and I think it should be perfectly good. They also supply the earthing cable.

These are my thoughts, but may be flawed - heck, I've never done this!
As I say, I will pay handsomely for time and materials. I am happy to source anything required, though you may know better what's needed.

We're at:
52 Ashley Piece
Ramsbury SN8 2QE
Tel: 01672 520515

There's a small road to Ashley Piece directly off the B4192 from Swindon - SatNav should take you there.
73s!
Philip

Darren, G1ERM (Swindon).
_._,_._,_

John Claridge 2E0JJC

Hi Philip

In you email you say....

"(2) hole through wall into extension/shack for coax.
Exactly. Anchored in some way of course - I don't know whether it's OK to put the coax directly thru wall or if there should be an external connector. "

You may wish to consider what I now wish I had done from day one of my first antenna installation. That is to put a pvc tube through the wall so that it is easy to install more coax cables. You can temporarily seal it with a squirt of expanding foam or something similar.
I now have three coax feeds each with their own hole...guess who is not pleased. 😀

Just a thought.

John. 2E0JJC

At 15:44 10/04/2022, you wrote:
[...]

Den (M0ACM)

Philip.

I understand you will not pick up this input till later in the week. I trust by the time you read this all will have gone well with your op - but remember what I said earlier .... no flying forward rolls off the roof for 6 weeks !!

Here's my next two penn'th rearding the aerial plans to support both John and Darren's very useful  inputs....

Strongly agree with John. A 50mm hole through the shack wall sleeved with a pvc pipe will allow several coaxes through as the station develops - all for just one drilling session.

A push fit blanking cap on at least the outside of the tube with a slot for coaxes on the protruding outside of the pipe with a simple to remove draught stopper IN the tube... all highly recommended. I can photo mine as a guide before we get practical!

Ladder line is a ('fussy') feed line type which is balanced only when it is in free space. IF you NEED to use it - like you would in a G5RV and if it NEEDS to be a certain length (again as in a G5RV),  it MUST be kept away from itself and any metal poles etc, timber/brick which may become wet..... you get the picture. No folds on itself either (you can do that with coax but not balanced feeder).

I don't know the aerial you are looking at but I will pitch in alongside the comments re the benefits of an EFHW.

The WSPR map I sent you of qsos  (including to VK) was in fact an inverted L EFHW. They are much under-rated and simple to put up, use and maintain.

Fully agree the need for the (easy to diy) 49:1 unun for the EFHW and the common mode choke (I can rehash my recent talk on those if required)- both easily mounted at ground level at the bottom of the L.

Pulleys and halyards with insulators on the poles also help maintenance as will the rotating  scaffold clamps to mount the poles - for which I sent you my photo last week. Anything in my book to prevent the need to climb on roofs or use ladders later!!

When you mention GROUNDING ... THAT starts to open a whole new can of worms!

The equipment IN the shack ALL need to be cross bonded to each other. No doubt about that. However taking that bond to EARTH and taking some other part of your external aerial feed to EARTH is a whole new ball game...

Q1: Does the aerial really require GROUNDing (as opposed to a counterpoise/radials) ?

If REALLY necessary then Q2: what type of electricity supply do you have to your property (TT, TNS or TNC-S)?
If the last, BEWARE providing external earth pathways without more detailed planning for possible consequences beyond your control!!!

As for lightning, I realise that up in Rambury you are closer to heaven than we poor souls trying for DX from the bottom of Swindon (!) but lightning protection - while potentially another discussion all by itself (!) may be a simpler matter of the Lightning app and  unplugging when required / not in use. Further thinking on this can be left till later maybe?

Darren: I suggested to Philip t'other day that I would be happy to do a site planning recce after Easter. Happy to join you at mutually convenient time if you like.

Good to see this level of positivity and support coming from Members via this forum.

73 all

Den.

Darren G1ERM

Philip, hope all has gone well with the op.
I use an end fed antenna and I find it simple, discreet and effective.

Den, yes, site visit would be good. I'm away 18th-24th but generally ok outside of that.
Darren.

Den (M0ACM)

Yes. Hope all wasxgood with you Phillip.

Yes, Darren, some time in  the last week of this month sounds good once Phillip gives us the green light for that.

73 both

Den