CQ WPX Contest


Marc (M0KYB)
 

Anybody else taking part in the CQ WPX contest this weekend? Almost as good as CQWW, great opportunity to work countries you haven’t got yet. There will be 1000s of stations taking part.

You can operate up to 36 of the 48 hours as a single operator, or up to 24 hours with the CLASSIC overlay.

https://cqwpx.com/

Good luck if you decide to give it a go!

73
Marc


Dom - 2E0WHQ
 

Hi Marc,

As you know, I usually would be taking part, but COVID has pretty much killed my throat and my voice at the moment, so I think that might make it a little hard going. I might see how it goes, but I'm not holding out much hope. I was beginning to feel a bit better, until today and at the moment, I've just had to turn the heating back on and I'm considering spending the whole weekend in bed!

Good luck.

73, Dom.


Marc (M0KYB)
 

Sorry to hear that Dom, hopefully you’ll be on the mend soon. There seems to be more COVID around than ever …

Get better soon!

73
Marc


Andy Sharman G0UWS/M1G
 

Hi.

I really hoped to operate on this one, however the shack PC decided to die after the ARRL RTTY contest a month or so ago, luckily I had already uploaded the log.

Yet to replace the old motherboard so will be giving this one a miss.

But good luck

Andy Sharman


Neal (M7TDV)
 

I have found, in the shortish time I have been licenced, that these large competitions are a great opportunity for chances to work entities that do not so often present themselves. For a low powered station using mostly indoor antennas, having top contest stations with antenna arrays that can pull in my little signal on the air helps me tremendously achieve new logged entities... as long as I time my calls to them well.

My station setup aside, I am a little too slow and my hearing is not what it used to be to ever be a serious contender in any of the big comps. I had planned to work a few hours of the contest though to see what I could mange. "Plan" being the key word, which I clearly didn't do well, as just after my 7th contact my wife announced "we" had other things that had to be done :( So that was that, mostly anyways, although I did have a few minutes off and on through the day and made few more contacts. [note to self: plan way ahead for the next big comp and discuss with the wife]

I managed one new entity to me on 10m (which is my fav band) being Cape Verde D4Z. Not the furthest station I have worked, but very happy to have a new one in the log. Checking their QRZ page it's pretty clear they had the equipment to pull my little signal in. Quite a few south and central Americas heard on 10m too, but only managed to work a couple of them of which both the entities and the stations themselves were not new to be, being French Guiana and Brazil.

Sadly I know I we have other plans today, so don't think they'll be any radio time for me. If anyone is taking part in the comp, would love to hear how you get on, especially if you are working 10m. And of course, good luck!

73s
Neal


Tony (G4LDL)
 

Well done for giving it a go Neal.
As WPX is not something I normally do my HF antennas are down for general refurbishment at the moment.
Wrt to making sure that  "other things" don't clash with contests takes a while. 
For many years now I have put the 2 main CQWW weekends (CW & SSB) in the communal diary as soon as the last contest was finished. It is now understood that they are MY WEEKENDS! and I don't consider doing anything else. Don't have to take part in the contests of course but I usually do!

73 Tony, G4LDL.

On 27 Mar 2022 08:37, "Neal (M7TDV)" <ttblood@...> wrote:
I have found, in the shortish time I have been licenced, that these large competitions are a great opportunity for chances to work entities that do not so often present themselves. For a low powered station using mostly indoor antennas, having top contest stations with antenna arrays that can pull in my little signal on the air helps me tremendously achieve new logged entities... as long as I time my calls to them well.

My station setup aside, I am a little too slow and my hearing is not what it used to be to ever be a serious contender in any of the big comps. I had planned to work a few hours of the contest though to see what I could mange. "Plan" being the key word, which I clearly didn't do well, as just after my 7th contact my wife announced "we" had other things that had to be done :( So that was that, mostly anyways, although I did have a few minutes off and on through the day and made few more contacts. [note to self: plan way ahead for the next big comp and discuss with the wife]

I managed one new entity to me on 10m (which is my fav band) being Cape Verde D4Z. Not the furthest station I have worked, but very happy to have a new one in the log. Checking their QRZ page it's pretty clear they had the equipment to pull my little signal in. Quite a few south and central Americas heard on 10m too, but only managed to work a couple of them of which both the entities and the stations themselves were not new to be, being French Guiana and Brazil.

Sadly I know I we have other plans today, so don't think they'll be any radio time for me. If anyone is taking part in the comp, would love to hear how you get on, especially if you are working 10m. And of course, good luck!

73s
Neal


Marc (M0KYB)
 

Well that's another contest finished. I managed about 22 hours this time.

Unfortunately, half way through my FlexRadio gave up on me so I had to revert to the backup, my old Yaesu FT-840 (with knobs on the front, well fancy that!!) and separate manual tuner. I actually quite enjoyed using it again. Not sure what's wrong with the Flex, the footswitch stopped working so I thought there was something wrong with that but plugging a standard mic into the Flex did not resolve it ... so no transmit / PTT for some reason. I will have to investigate when I get back from Switzerland. I hope it is not serious, if it needs repair it will have to be shipped to Germany.

It was a very busy contest, hard work with lots of splatter and stations calling CQ on the same frequencies. I've not analysed which new DXCCs I bagged (if any) but I'm sure there will be some.





500 QSOs across the 5 bands. 325 different prefixes. 10m had some activity but not great, only flutterings at certain times. 15m was pretty good.

Off to sleep now, have to be up at 6.45am to go to London tomorrow!

Andy - Sorry to hear about your PC.
Neil - well done and get ready for the next one!
Tony - You have done WPX for the last 2 years by the way ...

73
Marc


Neal (M7TDV)
 

Very well done Marc, that is an amazing effort! You've clearly got some great operating skills.

Sorry to hear about your Flex. Fingers crossed it is something as simple as needing a reboot or reset.

I had a few more contacts during spare minutes here and there. Only a fraction of yours of course Marc, but hopefully if anyone new ever reads this post then they will see what can be possible with foundation power and indoor wire antennas. 42 QSOs across 4 bands (the white marker was a non-contest 12m QSO I had with Larry in Canada). Bonaire was another new one on 10m for me. One that got away that I really would like to have worked was 'St Kitts and Nevis' as I have never heard the entity before, even in my previous 11m history.

Green is 10m...


Tony (G4LDL)
 

Great job Marc. Unlucky having to change rigs in the middle as that really does screw up any rhythm you've got going.
Me do WPX! I go on and work a few if I can but never a serious effort but I ALWAYS put a log in. I consider it only fair both to the contest organisers and those I have worked even if it's only a check log.
Now CQWW - that's a different matter!

73 Tony G4LDL.


Graham (G4OED)
 

I worked as single band on 15m with the Classic overlay.  100 QSOs 87 Prefixes, claiming 20,880 points at 2.4 pts/Q.

New DXCCs were Cape Verde Islands, French Guyana and St Kitts &Nevis.

 Missed out on Martinique, Costa Rica and Nepal!

Interesting to contact all the unusual contest calls such as J42L, H25A, XO2O, ZZ7A to name a few.

73
Graham



On 28 Mar 2022, at 00:48, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Well that's another contest finished. I managed about 22 hours this time.

Unfortunately, half way through my FlexRadio gave up on me so I had to revert to the backup, my old Yaesu FT-840 (with knobs on the front, well fancy that!!) and separate manual tuner. I actually quite enjoyed using it again. Not sure what's wrong with the Flex, the footswitch stopped working so I thought there was something wrong with that but plugging a standard mic into the Flex did not resolve it ... so no transmit / PTT for some reason. I will have to investigate when I get back from Switzerland. I hope it is not serious, if it needs repair it will have to be shipped to Germany.

It was a very busy contest, hard work with lots of splatter and stations calling CQ on the same frequencies. I've not analysed which new DXCCs I bagged (if any) but I'm sure there will be some.

<CQ WPX 2022 Totals.jpg>


<CQ WPX Map.jpg>


500 QSOs across the 5 bands. 325 different prefixes. 10m had some activity but not great, only flutterings at certain times. 15m was pretty good.

Off to sleep now, have to be up at 6.45am to go to London tomorrow!

Andy - Sorry to hear about your PC.
Neil - well done and get ready for the next one!
Tony - You have done WPX for the last 2 years by the way ...

73
Marc


Graham (G4OED)
 

Oops!

Looking through the log tonight it appears that my recall of the DXCC’s was wrong.

New were actually Cape Verde and Saba & Eustatius.  I worked Reunion for the first time on SSB but already had had an FT8 contact.

French Guyana must be added to the “missed” list.  I can see a note I made of the callsign and frequency they were working, but didn’t go back to work them.  He ho.

Graham


On 28 Mar 2022, at 14:02, Graham (G4OED) via groups.io <grahperry@...> wrote:

I worked as single band on 15m with the Classic overlay.  100 QSOs 87 Prefixes, claiming 20,880 points at 2.4 pts/Q.

New DXCCs were Cape Verde Islands, French Guyana and St Kitts &Nevis.

 Missed out on Martinique, Costa Rica and Nepal!

Interesting to contact all the unusual contest calls such as J42L, H25A, XO2O, ZZ7A to name a few.

73
Graham



On 28 Mar 2022, at 00:48, Marc (M0KYB) <marc@...> wrote:

Well that's another contest finished. I managed about 22 hours this time.

Unfortunately, half way through my FlexRadio gave up on me so I had to revert to the backup, my old Yaesu FT-840 (with knobs on the front, well fancy that!!) and separate manual tuner. I actually quite enjoyed using it again. Not sure what's wrong with the Flex, the footswitch stopped working so I thought there was something wrong with that but plugging a standard mic into the Flex did not resolve it ... so no transmit / PTT for some reason. I will have to investigate when I get back from Switzerland. I hope it is not serious, if it needs repair it will have to be shipped to Germany.

It was a very busy contest, hard work with lots of splatter and stations calling CQ on the same frequencies. I've not analysed which new DXCCs I bagged (if any) but I'm sure there will be some.

<CQ WPX 2022 Totals.jpg>


<CQ WPX Map.jpg>


500 QSOs across the 5 bands. 325 different prefixes. 10m had some activity but not great, only flutterings at certain times. 15m was pretty good.

Off to sleep now, have to be up at 6.45am to go to London tomorrow!

Andy - Sorry to hear about your PC.
Neil - well done and get ready for the next one!
Tony - You have done WPX for the last 2 years by the way ...

73
Marc