Backpackers

April - M7APR

Hi all,

wondering where people go for the backpackers contest as looking for a new place as have a new antenna set up that needs some space.

many thanks

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Hi April,

There is a trig point above the Uffington White Horse, which is at 261m. It's a little exposed up there, but If the weather is fine, then it might be a good space to setup. It has a good unhindered 360 take-off from there.

73
Dom, 2E0WHQ

April - M7APR

Thank you, looks like a good site, do you happen to know what the access is like for 4x4 as doing the hill topper section, mast is kinda a bit too big to carry uk there by foot haha

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Personally, I'd say nil, if you're going right up to the trig point, it's a proper 'backpakers' site, although I've heard others claim to have been up there, but I'm really not sure how they made it in a vehicle, as I'm sure there are signs saying not to leave the track. You might be able to get to it around the back by coming up the other road which runs parallel with Dragon Hill. That road is fenced and gated, but it doesn't look too much of a yomp.

G6UAJ Paul Longstaff

I think that this is(or was) a national trust site.

20+ years ago, I chatted to a chap in a landrover on the site. He had permission, and had a key to access.
Ground disturbance(ie guy stakes etc) was strictly prohibited.
I used to access the North side, on the Ridgeway track, as it had vehicular access, back then.

Paul G6UAJ

On 10/06/2022, 23:11 Dom - 2E0WHQ <domwilko@...> wrote:
Personally, I'd say nil, if you're going right up to the trig point, it's a proper 'backpakers' site, although I've heard others claim to have been up there, but I'm really not sure how they made it in a vehicle, as I'm sure there are signs saying not to leave the track. You might be able to get to it around the back by coming up the other road which runs parallel with Dragon Hill. That road is fenced and gated, but it doesn't look too much of a yomp.

Marc (M0KYB)

Hi April,

I use Uffington on Tuesdays for the FMAC and UKAC contests. I operate from the disabled car park, just below the summit which is accessible by car quite easily. You can strap your mast to one of the fence posts just a few metres next to the car park. Fantastic take off to the north and the west from there but not so good south and east as the hill behind you is in the way. I would imagine you'd do ok from there.

73
Marc

Marc (M0KYB)

Are you able to join us this Tuesday for the 70cm FMAC April? We could really do with as many members as possible taking part, the club is in 2nd place currently and every point helps!

73
Marc

April - M7APR

Thank you for the advice, I’ll give it a go tomorrow, I’m  going to do the 70cm ones as well, normally do quite well but been busy with work recently