locked Antenna Query

Philip Perkins

Following up on antennas, I'd be very grateful for a bit of advice: is the HF dipole in the attached plan likely to perform  reasonably well, or should I go for the ZS6BKW? I would like to work SSB DX on 20m, 40m, perhaps 80m if possible. The potential issue with the ZS6BKW is that it requires 27.5m length whereas I only have 21m (see attached plan).
Also I'd be really grateful for help installing the antenna - in case there are radio friends able to help, (I am in Ramsbury SN8 2QE) otherwise I'll continue searching for local aerial installers... As mentioned, I will pay handsomely for time and materials.
And apologies that I will be slow to follow up from Monday thru Wednesday as I am having an L4 Discetomy on Monday (which is why I'm a bit physically incapacitated!)
Thanks very much, 73s!

Viv Williams

Hi Phil,
      Following on from your email  and your wish to work on the bands 80 ,40 and 20 metres  I would suspect that a straight HF dipole using the space would be on 40m. I suspect that with a good ATU you could probably  tune on the higher bands, especially  15m  but it will  not tune on 80ms.  The ATU  will need to be a discrete unit as the one in the rigs only tune to  around 3:1 SWR.   My suggestion would be to use a fan dipole with 40m and 20m elements.  I use this arrangement and it tunes with an ATU on all HAM bands from 40m upwards to 6 metres.  The performance is good .No ATU is required if you are only using 40,20,15,10m. If you look on QRZCQ you can see some of the countries I worked in using this arrangement.
      With regard to the ZS6BKW and G5RV I have only tried a G5RV a couple of years ago. The performance on the lowest band was good but on the higher bands  I needed to use an ATU  and the performance  in my view was noticeably less than a  dipole on that frequency . However I  did make QSO on all bands 40m to 10m. You also need to use a balun at the point you move from ladder line feeder to co-ax.
    Another alternative is to look at using an END  FED  antenna.  Lots of choices here  and they are easy to make. Only very limited experience  myself but they appear to work and load well.  I believe no ATU is needed .My experience was that the rig tune could just tune out  the  small SWR .

You will need to have passed Foundation to take the Intermediate exam, and to have passed Intermediate to take the Full exam so my advice would be take the foundation exam as soon as you are able.   Using 10 watts on HF can be surprising  and on FT8 you can work the world.  The club can help you with this.

Hope this helps.

Regards

viv

M0IEP.

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 at 13:38, <ppml5@...> wrote:
Following up on antennas, I'd be very grateful for a bit of advice: is the HF dipole in the attached plan likely to perform  reasonably well, or should I go for the ZS6BKW? I would like to work SSB DX on 20m, 40m, perhaps 80m if possible. The potential issue with the ZS6BKW is that it requires 27.5m length whereas I only have 21m (see attached plan).
Also I'd be really grateful for help installing the antenna - in case there are radio friends able to help, (I am in Ramsbury SN8 2QE) otherwise I'll continue searching for local aerial installers... As mentioned, I will pay handsomely for time and materials.
And apologies that I will be slow to follow up from Monday thru Wednesday as I am having an L4 Discetomy on Monday (which is why I'm a bit physically incapacitated!)
Thanks very much, 73s!

Philip Perkins

Hi Viv, Many thanks for your generous help - very good advice. I'm fully prepared to use an ATU where necessary and have the Foundation Exam already booked. I will progress as fast as I can to the Full Licence. This has nothing to do with Watts, it's purely so that I can take over my late brother's callsign of G3PPB which is very important to our family. OFCOM have provisionally agreed, but of course I need the full licence to do that.
Many thanks, 73s
Philip

Gareth (G4SDW) <headstone255@...>

(Replying in the group rather than continuing privately separately
in case others have had their appetites whetted)

Philip,
I have just had a phone call from the other chap who has said,
regrettably, that he has "hung all his ladders up" and is not doing
any more work on rooves. I am, after all,
71 years old and I think he's five years older!

With regard to other comments, you have hinted that you had in
the past some professional contact with matters of radio. Becuase of that,
and whilst the thrill of revisioning is still with you, I recommend that
although you must take the Foundation and Intermediate exams (and the
Devil take the RSCB**** for those abominations) DO NOT TAKE OUT THE
ASSOCIATED LICENCES because you will be sidetracked from your goal
which is to study for a Full licence. Keep the momentum going of studying.

**** The RSGB, in its panic to fill its membership coffers set up these schemes
but the only effect has been those still with M3 licences after 10 years; licences
which in my opinion are little removed from CB radio, and so the RSGB has
become the RSCB Just my tuppence worth.

73 de Gareth G4SDW.

PS. If you, or others, want some private email tuition to get over the hurdles,
then please feel free to email. Although I have forgotten much of it, my teenage
interest in amateur radio led me to read electronics at Uni. '69 - '72
Best wishes

On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 01:38 PM, <ppml5@...> wrote:

Following up on antennas, I'd be very grateful for a bit of advice: is the HF
dipole in the attached plan likely to perform  reasonably well, or should I
go for the ZS6BKW? I would like to work SSB DX on 20m, 40m, perhaps 80m if
possible. The potential issue with the ZS6BKW is that it requires 27.5m length
whereas I only have 21m (see attached plan).
Also I'd be really grateful for help installing the antenna - in case there
are radio friends able to help, (I am in Ramsbury SN8 2QE) otherwise I'll
continue searching for local aerial installers... As mentioned, I will pay
handsomely for time and materials.
And apologies that I will be slow to follow up from Monday thru Wednesday as I
am having an L4 Discetomy on Monday (which is why I'm a bit physically
incapacitated!)
Thanks very much, 73s!

Marc (M0KYB)

Hello Phil,

I agree with Viv's comments and can confirm that a multi-band EFHW (End-Fed Half Wave) 40/20/15/10m can be very effective. I used one for the first 12 months with 10W in 2020 and managed to work more than 75 countries that year. They are cheap and easy to make or buy. In fact, the club (via Tony, G4LDL) has several high quality 49:1 transformers in stock from a recent bulk purchase if you would like one, they are £25 I believe. They basically bring the high impedance of the antenna down to around 50 ohms. You will need a good common mode choke a few feet below the transformer to stop any current coming back down the coax. The wire would be around 21m (circa 65 feet) long. If you wanted to, a coil can be inserted at the end to make the antenna work on 80m, this would extend the length of the wire by another 8-9 feet or so. I now have a Hex Beam for HF but I use the EFHW for 40m at home and often take it with me for portable operation, it is easy to take down and put up with less than 10 minutes work.

With regard to Licenses, I'm afraid I do not agree with Gareth. The introduction of the 3-License system was in my opinion a good idea. It has allowed almost 4000 people to become Licensed and more than a quarter of them have progressed to Intermediate and Full Licenses. I progressed through all three stages in a period of 6 months. Whilst not all the new recruits will meet Gareth's high standards, any new blood to a dying hobby is welcome and the vast majority of new Licensees I have spoken to are sensible, enthusiastic and eager to learn more. The full exam is not everything, as Gareth admits himself "I have forgotten much of it", and for that reason it is best to take all 3 exams as quickly as possible.

Incidentally, it is possible to take all three exams on the same day if you wish, it will just be a long day ...

Also, the RSGB have been consulting on the option for people to choose the Direct-to-Full License option in the future. The result of the consultation can be found here :

https://rsgb.org/main/about-us/committees/examination-standards-committee/direct-entry-to-full-licence-rsgb-consultation/

Nothing has been announced but my guess is it won't be long, perhaps in the next 6-12 months.

Best wishes,

73
Marc

Andy Sharman G0UWS/M1G

Sent on behalf of Den M0ACM although a view I also share as a moderator.

I have to admit that when I saw Gareth's initial comment knocking the Foundation Licensing-to-Full Licence model, I felt extremely uncomfortable with that opinion.

However, personal opinion is just that and so is free speech in the UK ...to a point.

I did receive some PMs after the initial post asking "what the #@*& ?" and alluding to the supposed extinction of dynasaurs, however, in the interests of gaining opinions on the topic from elsewhere, I opted to sit on my hands for a few days.

Regrettably, the tone has now become much less an opinion about a scheme - which as Marc has said from personal experience - has done the hobby massive amounts of good, and more a rant by one licensed amateur about (and deliberately re-naming) the national voice for UK Radio Amateurs.

THIS is not productive; it is not helpful to others and is not the reason for the existence of this forum.

Whilst we respect that you may have a personal opinion on many things, Gareth, THIS forum is not your conduit to express that negativity.

LET THIS NOW BE THE END OF THAT NEGATIVE THREAD. Thank you.

Den (moderator)