70cm FMAC Tonight - Tropo #contest

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Hi All,

It looks like there might be some interesting tropo around for this evenings 70cm FMAC. As usual, it appears to be North of us, but you never know. Contesting aside, you might want to keep an eye on the Hepburn charts as it looks like the tropo may get even more interesting later this week and in to the weekend. It is of course just a forecast, but it has been quite accurate in the past.

This is what it's looking like for this evening:
https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nwe.html

Hope to catch as many of the club on as possible.

73

Dom, 2E0WHQ

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Well I don't know about anyone one else, but I think the Tropo was definitely doing me some favours this evening. Managed to work IO84 and IO83 easily on my vertical, which isn't normal. I also worked multiple IO92 and IO82 squares, with a total of 30 QSOs. Jeff, M0UHF was booming from Abingdon and Ian, M1CZI had a great signal too this evening. I've not put my log in yet, but I think is should be quite a good score.

Really enjoyed this evening. Be interesting to see how others did and what you thought about the conditions.

73

Dom, 2E0WHQ

James (M1DST)

Worked some distance for sure. Not quite as far as you I don’t think but tropo was certainly there. I lost 2 stations which called me and then after supplying their report, they were gone completely.

Used the beam and vertical tonight which worked ok.  I also heard a Hereford member telling another they had to get that 100 point deficit back tonight.

It’s all still to play for.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 at 21:18, Dom - 2E0WHQ <domwilko@...> wrote:
Well I don't know about anyone one else, but I think the Tropo was definitely doing me some favours this evening. Managed to work IO84 and IO83 easily on my vertical, which isn't normal. I also worked multiple IO92 and IO82 squares, with a total of 30 QSOs. Jeff, M0UHF was booming from Abingdon and Ian, M1CZI had a great signal too this evening. I've not put my log in yet, but I think is should be quite a good score.

Really enjoyed this evening. Be interesting to see how others did and what you thought about the conditions.

73

Dom, 2E0WHQ

G6UAJ Paul Longstaff

Some great claimed scores from SDARC in last night's UKFM. James M1DST looks to have done really well from home.

Paul G6UAJ

On 13/09/2022, 22:42 "James (M1DST)" <james@...> wrote:
[...]

Jeff M0UHF also has a great score from home.

Paul G6UAJ

On 14/09/2022, 09:47 G6UAJ Paul Longstaff <G6UAJ@...> wrote:
[...]

Marc (M0KYB)

Interesting evening, I didn't feel conditions were particularly special, still did well but got pipped by Grant G4ILI/P from Hereford (grrrrr).
Managed to set up just before the rain started, after that it pretty much rained continuously the whole evening and I got very wet packing up, at least it was not cold. I did guy the mast this time, that adds another few minutes to setup time. I heard nothing South or South-West, nothing from Ireland or Northern Ireland, nothing East either, most of my contacts were North / North West. I did get up to Durham and beyond with several contacts in IO84 and IO94. I made the mistake of leaving my calling frequency for 5 seconds and it was promptly claimed by someone else (I won't mention names ...). Then couldn't find another free frequency for ages.

I did try and use my Radiosport headset and footswitch but was persuaded by Graham's feedback pre-contest to go back to the hand mic. The output from the dynamic element in the headset is just not sufficient for the Icom 910. It is designed to be used with a DC-driven electret element (hence me putting a DC-blocking capacitor in-line). The element used is very much for DX-ing as well so the bass response is poor. I think I'll buy the Radiosport electret element and use that, at least the element is easily replaced. Also, when I use the Radiosport headset with the FlexRadio, your own voice is fed into the headset while transmitting which I really like. With the Icom you don't get that and because the headset is closed-back (all external noise is pretty much blocked out completely) you can't hear yourself talking at all, that feels very odd to me. Perhaps open-back headphones would be better when you're alone in the car ...

Marc

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Just uploaded my log from last night and added another 1,794 points to the pot. Here's my QSO map for the 70cm FMAC. Not bad for 35w and a Diamond SG7900. Tropo was definitely helping!

Can we have a club vote for Tony (G4LDL) to go away more often? Conditions always seem to be up when he's away! 🤣🤣

73
Dom, 2E0WHQ.

Den (M0ACM)

Nice plots, Dom.

As for Tony, maybe he just has a knack of choosing the best wx/condx to be away?

What we really need to do is to persuade him not to go more than "50 / 80 / add your own number here (!)" km from SN2 1RF -  and to take a radio !!!

Acme

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022, 11:23 PM Dom - 2E0WHQ <domwilko@...> wrote:
Just uploaded my log from last night and added another 1,794 points to the pot. Here's my QSO map for the 70cm FMAC. Not bad for 35w and a Diamond SG7900. Tropo was definitely helping!

Can we have a club vote for Tony (G4LDL) to go away more often? Conditions always seem to be up when he's away! 🤣🤣

73
Dom, 2E0WHQ.

Marc (M0KYB)

Judging by the claimed scores so far, cracking efforts from everyone. Early days but my current prediction shows:

SDARC:    7080
Hereford:   1913

73
Marc

Marc (M0KYB)

All logs are now in, my final prediction for the September 70cm FMAC is:

SDARC:    7721
Hereford:   3607

We are slowly getting there everyone!

73