Solar Panels & QRM

Den (M0ACM)

I have just thumbed through the SBC booklet that came yesterday with my 2022 Rates letter (it MUST be a quiet Sunday morning!!)...

They announced a scheme (page10) to support the installation of solar panels to private houses later this year.

Has anyone got solar panels, have good relations with neighbours with solar panels or who are involved in the industry of manufacture or installation of these (and their control gear) and who can comment on any QRM issues ?

Den.

Andy Sharman G0UWS/M1G

Edited

Rob G4XUT has had them for a number of years as had my father G3YCH, not aware of any QRM issues in these instances but I am sure there will be some.

Tony (G4LDL)

Try sticking the question on the RSGB Technical Groups IO (or whatever it’s called).

LDL.

I have just thumbed through the SBC booklet that came yesterday with my 2022 Rates letter (it MUST be a quiet Sunday morning!!)...

They announced a scheme (page10) to support the installation of solar panels to private houses later this year.

Has anyone got solar panels, have good relations with neighbours with solar panels or who are involved in the industry of manufacture or installation of these (and their control gear) and who can comment on any QRM issues ?

Den.

Bob G0VTA

One would imagine most of any noise would be generated by the inverter/s and switch gear rather than the actual cells?

On 13 Mar 2022, at 10:09, Den (M0ACM) <denf.acm@...> wrote:

I have just thumbed through the SBC booklet that came yesterday with my 2022 Rates letter (it MUST be a quiet Sunday morning!!)...

They announced a scheme (page10) to support the installation of solar panels to private houses later this year.

Has anyone got solar panels, have good relations with neighbours with solar panels or who are involved in the industry of manufacture or installation of these (and their control gear) and who can comment on any QRM issues ?

Den.

Cliff (G3MNJ)

Solar panels or more specifically the inverters associated with them have generated some comments in the Radcom's EMC column in recent years.

There is some information on the RSGB website under the EMC heading. See https://rsgb.org/main/technical/emc/solar-pv-panels/
The QST reference gives one persons experience with a solar installation in the USA.

Cliff G3MNJ

Andrew (M1CJE)

I have had a 3kW PV system for about 12 years now, 4 of my closest neighbours have similar systems. No problems identifiably caused by any of these systems.  As stated by Bob, any noise will be generated by the invertor not by the panels and should stop once it gets dark.  I think the reported noise issues that I have seen are related to the newer cheap Chinese inverters being installed more recently.  EU produced invertors do not seem to be a problem.

Andrew M1CJE

Den (M0ACM)

Thanks all for the comments. Useful to know.

Who knows what "CE"stuff the govt may sponsor in their new initiative!

Den

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022, 2:40 PM Andrew (M1CJE) <andrew@...> wrote:
I have had a 3kW PV system for about 12 years now, 4 of my closest neighbours have similar systems. No problems identifiably caused by any of these systems.  As stated by Bob, any noise will be generated by the invertor not by the panels and should stop once it gets dark.  I think the reported noise issues that I have seen are related to the newer cheap Chinese inverters being installed more recently.  EU produced invertors do not seem to be a problem.

Andrew M1CJE

Mike (G4HGV)

The IET has said that poor installation by "cowboys"  is often the cause of interference. They need to follow good practice such as using paired red-black cable (like speaker cable, a stuck together pair) when running dc cables and not to form open loops.
The IET (previously the IEE) has just brought out a series of codes of practice for installation ranging from small domestic systems to large scale PV systems. It's £59 to £69 if you're interested and follows the same style as the wiring regulations.

Discussion in the IET magazine has shown that particular makes of inverter/regulator are known to cause interference.
The majority of installations do not cause problems and I have not had any problem here in Blunsdon Towers from neighbours systems.

Following on from Den's comment about Swindon BC's initiative to work with one supplier/installer for a discount, once the details are know the club could perhaps vet the track record of "the chosen one" or ask the Council to make it a requirement that the installer uses the IET code of practice?