GM3SEK - Clean Up Your Shack - Mains Filter Build Cost

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Edited

Hi All,

For those that attended the excellent video talk 'Clean Up Your Shack' by GM3SEK on Thursday and for those that didn't, I thought I'd price up the cost of making one of the mains filters. The pricing includes everything, except the 13A Socket Strip as most people are probably already powering their kit via one of these. All the parts can be purchased from just 3 suppliers, Mouser, CPC and Screwfix (for the mains cable). Mouser are able supply both the types of ferrite cores and the Schaffner mains filter. They offer free shipping as do CPC. For the 13A 3-Core cable, I chose Screwfix, as they are local and I can pick up the cable direct from them. I also chose a 10m drum as I'm planning to make 2 filters, so will need at least 6m of cable, so it makes sense to buy a 10m drum as I'm sure I'll use the remaining 4m for another project.
To make 2 filters, the total cost of parts, delivered would be £127.74 (including the 10m drum of cable), so if you half that, then the cost to make 1 filter would be around £63.87. So, if you bought just enough cable for 1 filter, it would probably cost you about £60.

All the individual links to the parts are below:
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/623-2643167851
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/623-0431177081
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/631-FN2030-16-06
https://cpc.farnell.com/ce-tek/gr17012/abs-enclosure-170x170x75mm-ip65/dp/EN84544
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/pg-11-black/pg11-cable-gland-black/dp/CBBR7352
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/9518-5a-white/plug-13a-with-5a-fuse-white/dp/PL10199
https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-3183y-white-3-core-2-5mm-flexible-cable-10m-coil/721jy

Right, time to order my parts and get building.

73,

Dom, 2E0WHQ

Simon (G4WQG)

I built one of these filters last year and can confirm that my noise level reduced by a couple of S points across 80-30 meters.

Well worth the money and time..

Image.jpeg

Simon L S Harris
G4WQG

[...]

Andy Sharman G0UWS/M1G

Hi.

Every interesting, any thing to reduce noise has to be a good thing.

Might take a look into this.

Andy Sharman

Paul - G0EPC

I was also so impressed with the presentation, I thought I would order parts to build one. Thanks Dom for providing all the relevant links for the parts, so there was no excuse not to!!
However, my prices for the parts are all higher than those you have quoted above, not sure why for the same quantities!! 50p to 60p per part.
Anyway, orders confirmed from suppliers by email.

Paul - G0EPC

I completed the construction of my box this afternoon. It went together easily and quickly.
Picture below. I just need to set up some trials now to see how effective it is!
Paul
G0EPC

Dom - 2E0WHQ

My parts from Mouser finally turned up today, so hopefully I'll get my build started in the next few days. With luck, let's hope my build quality looks as good as Simon's and Paul's.

Andy Sharman G0UWS/M1G

Hi Paul.

Very interested to see how you get on. I am thinking of ordering the bits but not pulled the plug yet. Noise around my QTH not that far from you of course can be pretty bad at times.

Regards

Andy Sharman

Paul - G0EPC

Andy,
I need to "clean up my shack' first before trying it! I have so many cables behind my desk that need sorting, and then I'll know that I have connected to the box correctly.
As soon as I have done that, I'll share the results with you.
Regards
Paul