Special NoV (all licenses) - Queens Platinum Jubilee

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Just in case some of you haven't spotted this, at all license levels, you can apply for a NoV (Notice of Variation) to use the secondary regional locator ‘Q’ to mark the Platinum Jubilee of the Queen.

This can be used throughout June 2022 and you can apply online. You just need your Ofcom License Number, Callsign and Email Address. The NoV is generated instantly and can be downloaded as a PDF. They also email you a link to it.

So if you're feeling patriotic or just want a special callsign for the month, then just visit the link below. If you don't know your license number, then just log on to the Ofcom Website and it will have your license number there (assuming you've created an Ofcom account, which you all should have done for license revalidation purposes).

https://rsgb.org/main/operating/licensing-novs-visitors/online-nov-application/hmq-platinum-jubilee-nov/

https://ofcom.force.com/licensingcomlogin

I've applied for and received mine, but I'm not sure how practical using 2EQ0WHQ is going to be, as it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue!

73
Dom, 2E0WHQ

Den (M0ACM)

MQ0WHQ might be better, (tho 2 Qs in one call, sounds more like the M25 on Friday evenings!) but for MQ0... you need to ..... !!!

Acme!

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022, 5:09 PM Dom - 2E0WHQ <domwilko@...> wrote:
[...]

Simon (G4WQG)

My understanding is the the regional identifier is dropped and the Q replaces it..

So your’s would be 2Q0WHQ Dom.. If you don’t want to use the Q then you can use /70 after your regional call

Simon

Simon L S Harris
G4WQG

[...]

Interesting Simon, I'll re-read it, but I'm sure the secondary is used along with the primary; however I may be wrong, it won't be the first time I've misread something! 😁

And Den, yes, I really must pull my finger out and get my full license; just an annoying thing called 'work' keeps getting in the way!

73

April - M7APR

Done mine as soon as it come online, just the hassle of sorting out logs and a new QSL Card for the month. Is there any news about how it effects contesting at all?

Den (M0ACM)

Well, I would defo do it while you ARE working - cos for sure you'll NEVER have time once you retire !!!!!

Acme.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022, 6:05 PM Dom - 2E0WHQ <domwilko@...> wrote:
Interesting Simon, I'll re-read it, but I'm sure the secondary is used along with the primary; however I may be wrong, it won't be the first time I've misread something! 😁

And Den, yes, I really must pull my finger out and get my full license; just an annoying thing called 'work' keeps getting in the way!

73

Tony (G4LDL)

Interesting one.   The actual ITU allocation stand alone  “2” is for United Kingdom and its’ overseas territories/crown dependencies.

The E, I, M, W etc are the secondary “region” locators. (So what would the Falkland Islands be?  2V, 2FI?  Who knows.)

If the NoV for Q says it replaces the secondary locator then Dom’s call sign would become 2Q0WHQ.  Just let’s hope there hasn’t 2M0WHQ or 2W0WHQ been issued as well! One wonders these days.

Still mulling whether to bother with GQ4LDL or not.

April asked about contests.  I think  the answer would be to look carefully at the rules – although there might not be a specific answer depending on the contest.

I would think that for the AC contests there will be some guidance later on (hopefully!). It would only be of benefit using “Q” for ACs if ones score could be added to ones normal call sign as G4LDL and G4LDL/p for example. Getting too messy!

73 G(Q)4LDL,   G(Q)4L – NO! G(Q)8KWC.

PS. Definitely not going GQ3WH!!!!

Cliff (G3MNJ)

Found this on the RSGB website -

Suffix /70 permitted for Platinum Jubilee

Communications Manager | February 4, 2022

Following a request by the RSGB, Ofcom has indicated that stations wishing to retain their usual Regional Secondary Locator to identify their DXCC entity may use the suffix /70 to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.

We are proposing its use throughout June for those who would like to do so.

It is also permitted to use the /70 suffix with the GQ/MQ/2Q prefix if desired.

We would like to thank Ofcom for its support of the Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations.

CategoryFront Page NewsGB2RS Headlines, RSGB Notices.

Seems clear enough, Drop the E, M or W etc regional secondary locator and use Q or go /70.

Cliff G3MNJ

Mike (G4HGV)

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 11:27 AM, Cliff (G3MNJ) wrote:
It is also permitted to use the /70 suffix with the GQ/MQ/2Q prefix if desired.
So GQ4HGV/70 is permitted
Think I will stick with what I've got!

Mike G4HGV