ICOM Memory Keypad Kit

James (M1DST)

Edited

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I considered designing a project to control my IC9700 voice memories.  Before embarking on a new project I always check if someone has already done it first.

The obvious contender is the SotaBeams ContestConsole but that costs £70.  Far too much for what it is.

I then came across a project from ON5IA which did exactly what I wanted.  Rather than reinvent the wheel, I decided just to use this project and move on.Mentioning it to a few club members who said they would like to build one, I had the PCBs manufactured and sourced all the components to populate it.  I then designed a two part case which protects the PCB.

I have around 10 kits available for purchase at £15.

For this you will get a kit of parts and a plastic case to solder yourself including the 8 pin radio plugs/sockets.

It should take about 90 minutes to build and there are only through-hole parts to solder.  You are also able to plug a headset into it including a footswitch without the need for a dongle.  You can just plug your existing microphone in instead though.Attached are some photos of the build and parts.Once they are gone, they are gone.  This was just a project for me which I scaled up to assist you as a single purchase would cost significantly more than the bulk price I achieved.If you want one, let me know asap and I will reserve one for you.

What is it, and why would you need it?

A (voice, CW, RTTY) keyer is a tool to record and play back messages. When you are calling CQ, you don’t have to endlessly speak or send morse, the keyer can do that for you.
Many Icom radio’s like the IC-7300 have a built in voice keyer with 8 memory slots. However, you can only activate these via the touchscreen when you are in the keyer menu (obviously).

This keyer menu takes up 50% of the display, and prevents you from viewing other interesting screens, such as the extended waterfall or the audioscope.

20201222_204735.png

20201222_205151.png

With an external keypad we can recall up to 4 out of the 8 memory slots, without having the keyer menu on display. An additional advantage of an external keypad is that you can install it in a spot that is best accessible to you. In case of a contest e.g.: just next to your PC keyboard.

It is compatible with most modern Icom radios (9700, 7300, 7100, 7800 etc) for the memory keys (voice, cw and rtty) and older Icom rigs like (910 etc) for the up/down and PTT.

IMG_3445.JPGIMG_3446.JPGIMG_3447.JPGIMG_3448.JPGIMG_3449.JPGIMG_3450.JPGIMG_3451.JPG

Tony (G4LDL)

One for me please James.
Tony, G4LDL.

On 15 Oct 2021 17:56, "James (M1DST)" <james@...> wrote:
[...]

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Hi James,

I was just about to build a very much simplified version of one of these, but your kit looks great, so put my down for one of them.

Cheers,

73,
Dom, 2E0WHQ

Andrew (M1CJE)

Hi James,

Put me down for one as well please.

73's
Anrdew - M1CJE

James (M1DST)

Ok, that’s 5 of you (some off list) confirmed so far.  BACS is ideal for me and I’ll out the details with each kit.

I have a few more cases to print today then to complete the final few.  Good job more filament arrives today.

If you know anyone else who might want them, please forward on the details.

Andy Sharman G0UWS/M1G

And me please James……

Andy Sharman

Dom - 2E0WHQ

For those interested, this will also NOT work with the ICOM IC-7000. I've just checked both the 7300 and 7000 manual and the pin allocations are different on the MIC plug. Obviously you could change the MIC plug wiring and it will work, but it won't be interchangeable between the 7000 and 7300.

73,

Dom, 2E0WHQ

James (M1DST)

Dom,

It is compatible.  You are free to wire the pins as you wish.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 at 12:59, Dom (2E0WHQ) <domwilko@...> wrote:
For those interested, this will also NOT work with the ICOM IC-7000. I've just checked both the 7300 and 7000 manual and the pin allocations are different on the MIC plug. Obviously you could change the MIC plug wiring and it will work, but it won't be interchangeable between the 7000 and 7300.

73,

Dom, 2E0WHQ

Dom - 2E0WHQ

Hi James,

Yes, that's what I said, you can make it for the IC-7000, by wiring the pins differently, but it won't be interchangeable (once built) with the IC-7300. I was just trying to point out that it won't be interchangeable between the two radios. I have both a IC-7000 and IC-7300, so it would have been nice if I could have used it on both. Having said that, I've just noticed that the radio plug is wired via a RJ45 socket, for some reason, I thought it was hard wired, but with RJ45 socket, that makes it simple as I just wire two separate plugs, one for the IC-7000 and one for the IC-7300.

Sorted! :)

Cheers,

Dom, 2E0WHQ

Tony (G4LDL)

Dom, are you sure? I seem to recall it would only work with the rear mic socket – why I don’t know.

73 Tony. G4LDL.