Re: CQWW SSB 2021 edition

David (G7IXU) <david.welch.g7ixu@...>

Some fantastic results there, congratulations to everyone.

I too dipped in and out, not sure how many hours, certainly less than 10, my results were:

QSO’s: 53

DXCC: 32

Zones: 10

I’ll just be submitting a check log.

Station is a Yaesu FT-950 at 100w, into 40m and 20m dipoles connected to a common centre at 15’ to 18’.

I didn’t manage any new countries but was impressed by the pile ups for Aruba and Reunion Island. No chance of breaking through, so well done Dom for bagging both of them … and others. Happy to get 3A3A and Z60A.

I think I could do with some tutoring on getting the best out of the FT-950’s DSP features. 40m and 20m were packed solid and I was constantly battling the high pitched sounds of stations just off the station I was trying to listen to.

What logging programs were you guys using, were they counting up your score as you went along?

Best 73

David G7IXU

From: sdarc@groups.io <sdarc@groups.io> On Behalf Of Marc (M0KYB)
Sent: 01 November 2021 14:16
To: sdarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [sdarc] CQWW SSB 2021 edition

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Dom (2E0WHQ) wrote:

Really interesting looking at the QSO Maps. It looks like both Marc and I were pretty much working the same areas, despite the difference in power and antennas

Yes, I agree, don't think my results would be vastly different with 50W to be honest. The directionality of the hex beam made all the difference. The SPID rotator worked as hard as I did, constantly turning. Alt J in N1MM+ to automatically turn the beam to the exact heading of the station being worked. It is not a superfast rotator, 100 seconds to do a full 360 degrees @ 13.8V. I will have to feed it with the full 18V next year to get an extra 10 seconds of turning speed ...

Shame I didn't get to work Australia or New Zealand, I could faintly hear them but was not able to work them. I also heard Antartica, but couldn't break through the pile-up.

Marc

Join sdarc@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.