Sent: 06 May, 2017 14:49
Subject: Re: [sar-l] History by Locomotive 266

The photo of the DS at the top of the article shows a very un-South African loco next to it! Les Pivnic says he thinks it was taken at the German factory in 1938.
Regarding the fate of the loco, I saw it standing at Braamfontein in about 1960. Perhaps it and the DS1 were transferred there together. I never saw either of them running.

John Faulkner

johnfaulkner53

The photo of the DS at the top of the article shows a very un-South African loco next to it! Les Pivnic says he thinks it was taken at the German factory in 1938.
Regarding the fate of the loco, I saw it standing at Braamfontein in about 1960. Perhaps it and the DS1 were transferred there together. I never saw either of them running.

John Faulkner

André Kritzinger

No. 266 - 1939
* Slovakia proclaims independence from Czechoslovakia.
* Germany occupies the remaining part of Bohemia and Moravia and Czechoslovakia ceases to exist.
* The Slovak-Hungarian War begins, and ends with Slovakia ceding eastern territories to Hungary.
* The last remaining Jewish enterprises in Germany are closed by the Nazis.
* A Heinkel He 178, the first turbojet-powered aircraft, flies for the first time piloted by Captain Erich Warsitz.
* The Second World War begins with the German Invasion of Poland.
* Jan Smuts becomes Prime Minister of South Africa again.
Regards,
André, Cape Town
Converted from Horribly Oversized to Nano in 1978
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_locomotive_history
http://grela.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=12115