Sent: 27 October, 2017 15:15
Subject: Re: [sar-l] TFR Go-Dove Auction 131 of 26 October

Hi Peter,

Regards,
André, Cape Town
Converted from Horribly Oversized to Nano in 1978
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_locomotive_history
http://grela.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=12115

Sent: 27 October, 2017 00:12

Hi All,

Auction 131 closed today and all except four of the loco and rolling stock lots were sold.  These were:

Lot 4: 3 wagons at Port Shepstone, KZN, (also unsold at Sale 130)

Lot 14: 2 wagons at Noupoort, NC, (also unsold at Sale 130)

Lot 64: 7 derailed wagons at Groenheuwel, WC, (also unsold at Sale 130)

Lot 81: 2 locos (20-089 & 34-075) collision damage) at Flonker, EC.  (Only 20-089 was included in Sale 130 (as unsold Lot 81)).  The highest bid price was R107,500 which did not meet the reserve.  My thanks to John Middleton who provided me with details of the accident as follows:

“These locos were those involved in the horrendous Flonker accident 18/8/2016 when an unmanned 34.075 ran away from a loop further up the line (it had failed and been parked - still havn't seen any explanation as to why it wasn't chocked or why it ran away) and crashed at very high speed into 20089 on a train of ore empties. 20089 was actually on a driver training run and there were 4 people in the cab, it was stationary at the time and 3 managed to jump and were injured but the young trainee driver was killed.”

Prices realised varied between R1,438/t (Lot 21, 1 derailed wagon at Pendoring, Brits, NW) and R6,222/t (Lot 31, 15 Class 7E locos at Richards Bay).  The average return was R3,677/t.

I mentioned in my previous email that the 7E locos in Lot 31 were of the 7E1 and 7E3 variants. Having taken a closer look at the pics I see that examples of 7E4 are also included (rebuilds of 7E3’s with Hitachi microprocessor control and improved rheostatic brakes), along with E7253 and E7255 classified as 7E6. This latter classification is not included in the amendments to John Middleton’s book and amendment lists (presumably done later), so I would be grateful if John, or anyone else, can let us know  the differences of a 7E6.

Regards

Peter Bagshawe