Motorola CDM channel steering from Allstar #cdm #rim-maxtrac-rm

Danny K5CG

I am using Allstar with the simpleUSB interface connected to a pair of CDM1550LS+ radios via a RIM-MAXTRAC-RM

My goal is to be able to switch between low and high power with a command. The only way I can see to do this with the functions available in the accessory pins is to use 2 channels on the same frequency, one high power, one low, and using channel steering to switch. If there is a better way I'd appreciate a hint.

Assumption: Pin 6 on the accessory connector is GPIO5 on the transmitter fob.

In the CPS codeplug for the transmit radio I have the two conventional channels (one low power - ch1, one low - ch2) added to the "HOME" zone. If I leave accessory input pin 6 unassigned I can switch channels from the front panel on the transmitter using the up and down buttons. I've tried setting up pin 6 as Channel Select 1 (Input) as a High input and now I can't switch channels from the front panel. Maybe this is expected because the input is asserted.

In simpleusb.conf I added the following line because it is the only GPIO pin I'm using and setting the value off by default.
gpio5 = out0

I'm using the script /usr/local/sbin/bcd_control_usb_fob.sh (set for non-inverting) to switch GPIO pins.

[root@46679 sbin]# ./bcd_control_usb_fob.sh 1
Entered Channel 1
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO1=1"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO5=0"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO4=0"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO1=0"
[root@46679 sbin]# ./bcd_control_usb_fob.sh 2
Entered Channel 2
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO1=0"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO5=1"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO4=0"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO1=0"

I've also tried using the inverted logic in the script with both High and Low input settings on pin 6.

I'd really like to understand the logic from the radio back to the node to understand what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Danny

Danny K5CG

Another clue. When GPIO5 switches from 0 to 1 or vice-versa the radio puts out a "boop" sound (error?) as if it is being told to do something that it is not allowed.

[...]

Bryan Fields

On 6/24/19 11:06 AM, Danny K5CG wrote:
I am using Allstar with the simpleUSB interface connected to a pair of
CDM1550LS+ radios via a RIM-MAXTRAC-RM
You will need a level converter off the GPIO pins of the CM119/CM108 interface
for 3.3 to 5v logic.

In the CPS codeplug for the transmit radio I have the two conventional
channels (one low power - ch1, one low - ch2) added to the "HOME" zone. If I
leave accessory input pin 6 unassigned I can switch channels from the front
panel on the transmitter using the up and down buttons. I've tried setting up
pin 6 as Channel Select 1 (Input) as a High input and now I can't switch
channels from the front panel. Maybe this is expected because the input is
asserted.
What is the accessory configuration in the codeplug set to?

In simpleusb.conf I added the following line because it is the only GPIO
pin
I'm using and setting the value off by default.
gpio5 = out0

I'm using the script /usr/local/sbin/bcd_control_usb_fob.sh (set for
non-inverting) to switch GPIO pins.
Can you share your script?

[root@46679 sbin]# ./bcd_control_usb_fob.sh 1
Entered Channel 1
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO1=1"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO5=0"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO4=0"
Executing - /bin/asterisk -rx "rpt cmd 46679 cop 61 GPIO1=0"
Looks like you wrote it to just convert it to binary IO, correct?

I'd really like to understand the logic from the radio back to the node to
understand what is going on.
Have you tried just toggling the lines with a 5v level?

73's
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net

Brett Friermood

Just noticed now that you are using the -RM "repeater maker" version. That one does not support channel steering as noted on Scott's webpage.

To get channel steering you would need to use the non -RM version which does support it.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM Danny K5CG <k5cg@...> wrote:
I am using Allstar with the simpleUSB interface connected to a pair of CDM1550LS+ radios via a RIM-MAXTRAC-RM

Danny K5CG

Yes there it is in plain English. I missed that detail LOL

Thank you.

Just noticed now that you are using the -RM "repeater maker" version. That one does not support channel steering as noted on Scott's webpage.
To get channel steering you would need to use the non -RM version which does support it.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM Danny K5CG <k5cg@...> wrote:
I am using Allstar with the simpleUSB interface connected to a pair of CDM1550LS+ radios via a RIM-MAXTRAC-RM

Danny K5CG

Is there a schematic for the RIM-MAXTRAC-RM product? The schematic on the RB site is the same PDF as the non "RM" version.

If the GPIO pins are connected to the TX connector (only) then perhaps it does support channel steering for the transmitter. I can understand why there is a "no support" disclaimer because there might be no connections for the RX daughter board, which is fine for my use case. I am only interested in changing channels on the TX to change power output.

Short of taking my repeater apart to look at it under a magnifying glass... can anybody confirm?

Thanks
Danny

Scott Zimmerman

Danny,

The schematic on the RB site is the same PDF as the non "RM" version.
Correct. The only difference is that the RX audio and COS input pins are "cut" to the "main" radio and then routed off the board to the connector for the RX radio. In my mind the concept was simple enough to NOT require additional documentation. ;)

I can understand why there is a "no support" disclaimer...
?????? - We offer support, hence this reply. ;)

If the GPIO pins are connected to the TX connector (only) then perhaps it does support channel steering for the transmitter.
Correct.

I figured most folks that are using the -RM to build a repeater would NOT want the repeater channel steered on either radio. If they did, they could make frequency changes when they tuned the repeater or put the repeater into service.

Moral of the story: I don't build the "root" boards any different, I simply take a "regular" RIM_Mactrac and add the -RM RX board to it, thus the parts for channel steering are populated on the "TX" or "MAIN" module. Since you are wanting to change channels to change power, you can indeed do that with the functionality provided by the -RM.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
474 Barnett Road
Boswell, PA 15531

On 6/25/2019 1:24 PM, Danny K5CG wrote:
Is there a schematic for the RIM-MAXTRAC-*RM* product? The schematic on the RB site is the same PDF as the non "RM" version.

If the GPIO pins are connected to the TX connector (only) then perhaps it does support channel steering for the transmitter.
I can understand why there is a "no support" disclaimer because there might be no connections for the RX daughter board,
which is fine for my use case. I am only interested in changing channels on the TX to change power output.

Short of taking my repeater apart to look at it under a magnifying glass... can anybody confirm?

Thanks
Danny

Danny K5CG

Scott,

"?????? - We offer support, hence this reply. ;)"
Sorry, I was referring to "The RM version does NOT support channel steering." listed on the site, not your support which has been stellar.

"Since you are wanting to change channels to change power, you can indeed do that with the functionality provided by the -RM."
That is very good news for my application.

Thank you for the confirmation. I'm glad I asked.

Next I need to figure out what is wrong with the code plug in my CDM transmitter to make it work as expected.

Danny

> The schematic on the RB site is the same PDF as the non "RM" version.
Correct. The only difference is that the RX audio and COS input pins are "cut" to the "main" radio and then routed off the
board to the connector for the RX radio. In my mind the concept was simple enough to NOT require additional documentation. ;)

> I can understand why there is a "no support" disclaimer...
?????? - We offer support, hence this reply. ;)

> If the GPIO pins are connected to the TX connector (only) then perhaps it does support channel steering for the transmitter.
Correct.

I figured most folks that are using the -RM to build a repeater would NOT want the repeater channel steered on either radio.
If they did, they could make frequency changes when they tuned the repeater or put the repeater into service.

Moral of the story: I don't build the "root" boards any different, I simply take a "regular" RIM_Mactrac and add the -RM RX
board to it, thus the parts for channel steering are populated on the "TX" or "MAIN" module. Since you are wanting to change
channels to change power, you can indeed do that with the functionality provided by the -RM.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
474 Barnett Road
Boswell, PA 15531

On 6/25/2019 1:24 PM, Danny K5CG wrote:
Is there a schematic for the RIM-MAXTRAC-*RM* product? The schematic on the RB site is the same PDF as the non "RM" version.

If the GPIO pins are connected to the TX connector (only) then perhaps it does support channel steering for the transmitter.
I can understand why there is a "no support" disclaimer because there might be no connections for the RX daughter board,
which is fine for my use case. I am only interested in changing channels on the TX to change power output.

Short of taking my repeater apart to look at it under a magnifying glass... can anybody confirm?

Thanks
Danny

Bob M.

If the CDM operates like the GM300, when you aren't selecting any channel from the Acc Conn (i.e. if you are using active-low and let all lines float high), the radio reverts to the channel selected by the front control head. If you want TWO channels, then the CH1 select bit will give you either CH1 or the front panel channel. You might be better off to use the CH1 and CH2 select bits and ground one or the other, to definitively select CH1 or CH2 and not rely on the front control head channel selection.

Bob M.

Danny K5CG

Hi Bob,

I'm using GPIO5 to pin 6 as Channel Select 1 and with your advice I'll add GPIO7 to pin 14 as Channel Select 2.

Then I need to turn them on individually to change channels...
GPIO5(p6) active, GPIO7(p14) inactive for channel 1
GPIO5(p6) inactive and GPIO7(p14) active for channel 2.

When they are both inactive the radio defaults to the front panel.

Thanks for the tip.

Danny

Danny K5CG

That did the trick Bob!

I'm actually getting ch2 when I want to select ch1 but I can fix the inversion elsewhere.

SUCCESS!

Thanks to all.