why are these going for so much?

Michael K

Maxell 7" metal take up reels (2) sold for $203.50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265537457432

mibm@...

Hi Michael

Good question, but I think you have to consider both those who had the money and just wanted to buy no regards as to wether similar are cheap and they want NOS and will never use them and also anyone with a bit of a collecter in them.

Also someone could be meaning to only collect take-up reels for real. Just the take-up reel. Recently I came upon this one by Sansui which I have not seen before. Sansui apparantly also made take-up reels.

Some people want to collect one of each reel, and NOS metal reels may be holy grail to them.
I bought two metal take-up reels in Japan not too long ago.
Technics RP-7M

I also bought a Technics RP-7HM last year with a big center hub. Also in box. I use mine so I don't buy NOS and never open. I was just lucky mine came with boxes.
It it there but very small on this page:
I scanned that for the guy who runs that site. I have the original japanese brochure. Yes, Panasonic made Technics test tapes too - I have at least one.

For my reel deck collection there is / were Aiwa, Akai, Bang & Olufsen, Grundig, Philips, Pioneer, Revox, Sony, Studer, Tascam, Teac, Technics decks and most with a branded take-up reel.
Obviously for Studer I use a Revox take-up reel, meanwhile for the Aiwa I trashed and the two Grundig TK5 i still have I never got a proper take-up reel.
For decks But I managed to get some take-up reels for decks I do not have. Panasonic (box only or reel only I can't remember, that auction sucked) Braun 22cm.
Adding to that there are accessories by companies like Maxell who never made decks but made takeup reels, and I have Maxell, TDK, Quantegy, Ampex, Scotch, BASF and AGFA off the top of my head.
The most iconic design to me which unique and pretty while still being perfectly functional is Technics. Also Sony design with the small holes in a circle is also very clean design. I have had reels that are not good in use as threading is difficult because of the deisgn. I think good and bad take-up design is worthy of its own thread - with pictures :)

-Mikkel