Still cheaper than the vintage vinyl ...

Michael K

Don Resor

If you really must have it and are on a budget…..   $6.99

Don Resor

Sent from someone's iPhone

On Feb 12, 2022, at 10:24 PM, Michael K <mkaplan22@...> wrote:

Rick Price

Unless I'm mistaken, that recording gets you the music and the artist but not the original celebrated 1965 performance or the Robert Fine and Wilma Cozart-Fine recordings, which is the "magic sauce" that drives those auction prices, even for massively reissued 2 CD set.  (Of which I've acquired a couple of copies, apparently by accident.)

While not as quantitatively invested in vintage pre-recorded reels as Michael, I have enough of them to not wish to see downward pressure on their auction prices, although that doesn't seem to be much of a concern anymore.  Most of my reels are RCA and London, with only a few Mercs and Barclay-Crockers.  I was never in the right place at the right time and limited pretty much to whatever showed up in thrifts back when thrifts weren't keeping them for their own online auction platforms.

That said, you can also get the actual "apple doesn't fall all THAT far from the tree" Wilma Cozart Fine approved mastered CDs for around $20.00-$30.00 for the complete 2 CD set if you're resourceful.

In addition to the Merc 2 CD set, I have them on the original vinyl and part of them on an apparently well-thought-of Philips reissue SRI as well.

The recording and performances are (obviously) 100% worth all the fuss.  I can run the LP's or CD's off on one of my Pioneer 2-track RT's (1050 and 2022) and get most of the "head bump" or "analog richness" thrills that might (only arguably) be missing from the original issue Merc tapes and pocket the difference.

I don't have the 1995 RCA set.  If I'm mistaken and these are the Merc recordings, somebody please post a correction.  I don't see any credits for the Fine recording team, which would be odd if it is the same recording.

So little time, so much great music.

Rick Price

Michael K

I have the original 3-LP boxed set on vinyl, and it is indeed excellent. It preceded the tape issue by several years. The vinyl has been reissued by Acoustic Sounds for $110 (33.3 rpm) or $195 (45 rpm).

Rick Price

Thanks for that follow-up, Michael.  I hadn't thought to go to AS and search for them there.  That's a temptation, for sure.

Just for clarification, I meant to say "missing from the original Merc LPs and CDs", not "tapes".  Although this precipitated a bit of navel-gazing curiosity on my part as I consider the playback characteristics that were imparted by the Ampex machines (onto the LPs) or those same machines that were restored (for the CDs) encoding their own signatures on those respective media.

Interesting stuff to think about...

Rick P.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 06:12 AM, Rick Price wrote:
those same machines that were restored (for the CDs) encoding their own signatures on those respective media
I think it's recognized now that, in some cases, original vinyl pressings and original prerecorded tapes sound 'better' than the so-called audiophile reissues. When I visited Ken Fritz, we compared an Ampex-duplicated 4-track 7.5 ips tape to a Tape Project audiophile 2-track 15 ips reissue. While the TP was cleaner and steadier, the commercial Ampex was warmer and more musical, if you'll excuse those unscientific terms. We attributed this to what you've said, Rick, that a restored playback system is not an original playback system.