Sony TC 756 Reel 2 Reel Tables

Lee Anthony

Hi Guys,
Trying to get the reel tables off to get to the brake bands, but unable to get the reel nuts off don't want to break them trying, have tried unscrewing them but to no avail, any help would be very much appreciated.

Lee

Jere Brewer

Hi Lee,

I just saw your posting a few minutes ago and went to my TC-758 and removed one of the reel tables and it came off with no problem. The three screws that hold the reel tables on might just be frozen in place from never being moved in many decades. The reel tables are fastened to a plastic brake hub so the only place they might be seized is where the metal screw head is in contact with the aluminum reel table. I doubt the screws would be seized up in the plastic threads of the brake hub. You might try a very small amount of penetrating oil on each screw head and let it soak for a while and  then try to remove the screws again. Once removed, soak up any remaining oil with a paper towel, you don't want any oil left on anything.

Also, when you get the reel tables removed be extra careful removing the brake bands. There are a couple of circlips or e-clips that will have to be removed and it seems like on one of mine I dropped it down in the machine and spent lots of time finding it and fishing it out. Seems like after losing that one, I put a piece of thread around the other ones before I tried removing them so they couldn't go missing. This applies to reinstalling the clips too. I have more than once had a c-clip go flying off across the room when trying to reinstall them.

Hope this information helps.

Jere