Julian Bream 1933-2020

Michael K

One of the greats. I have two of his early RCA Victor tapes, including this wonderful performance.

Rick Price

I have a number of his performances on Shaded Dog vinyl.

Very fine, indeed.

R.I.P, sir.

Rick Price

Barry Paulson

Have you ever seen his work in tape?  Must exist

On Aug 24, 2020, at 10:52, Rick Price via groups.io <ricktptman@...> wrote:

I have a number of his performances on Shaded Dog vinyl.

Very fine, indeed.

R.I.P, sir.

Rick Price

Rick Price

I have but never purchased any.  I'm sure they exist and Michael's tape is proof...

Best to all,

Rick Price

mibm@...

Hey

Found one on Amazon
Seems like early 70s.
RCA Red Seal; ERP1 0049-C

it is also found on Discogs where there are 5 reel albums logged, but there none are for sale.

-Mikkel

Fra: "Rick Price via groups.io" <ricktptman@...>
Til: "reeltoreel" <reeltoreel@groups.io>
Sendt: tirsdag, 25. august 2020 17:19:22
Emne: Re: [reeltoreel] Julian Bream 1933-2020

I have but never purchased any.  I'm sure they exist and Michael's tape is proof...

Best to all,

Rick Price

Michael K

Edited

There's one of the above currently on ebay. No bids. Absolutely great tape. The Rodrigo/Britten is also great.

Rick Price

I think that appears to be a later catalog title than the one Michael posted.

I'm sure the performance will be amazing, but it's the sound of those early LP's and tapes that attract the greatest amount of attention from collectors, at least as I've read/heard it.

While persuing the RCA tapes on ePay, I did run across this tape, which caught my "trumpet player's eye-as it were. It appears somebody got creative with a pencil eraser and an ink pen-probably it was someone's kid.  AL HIRT-THAT HONEY HORN SOUND-VINTAGE-RAR- REEL TO REEL TAPE-RCA-FTP-1296 | eBay

I met Mr. Hirt in the '80s and I think even he'd have probably seen some humor in it as he was an uncharacteristically understated man, at least in comparison to the opposite nature of the instrument on which he so inspiringly performed. I liked him very much.

It's worth a chuckle, in which we all might be currently in short supply.  There are other copies of the same tape in the listings for those who might seriously be motivated to collect it.  I already have it (on both LP and tape) and it's quite fine.

It's more commercial than his Audio Fidelity purist "Dixieland" recordings from a few years previous, but the sound and the performances are really fine, if not what Jazz critics of the time laid awake at night pining away for.

Rick Price