tape prices

Michael K

When reel tapes were first listed in ebay, numbers of offerings were in the low hundreds, then hit 1,000. That was big news. Now they're topping 10,000. The start prices on some are ridiculous: Barclay Crocker tapes listed at $35 - $65?

On the other hand, there are some surprises, like large collections of 2-track reels. A non-collector friend had the opportunity to bid on a lot of some dozen 2-track RCA tapes at an estate sale. He asked me for advice. I told him the tapes would likely have a market value of over $400. He won the auction at around $60, then proceeded to sell the tapes on ebay for over $1200.

Stein Seim

Hi :)

I bought a lot of tapes 10-15 years ago - almost 250.

The prices is much higher now, specially when the post, custom fees and taxes has skyrocked.

New times gives higher prices. A bad thing that follows the evolution.

I'm glad i bought my tapes that long ago, don't think I can aford to buy more,

exept new reels.

Stein

Michael K

25 - 35 years ago no one was buying reel tapes. I had a working machine back then, so I bought used tapes for between $1 - $5 per reel. I'd say I added at least 100 tapes to my collection in that time period. The Tower Records Annex in New York always had a shelf of used reel tapes, and at one point nearly the entire catalog of Barclay-Crocker tapes at around $5.99 per reel.

Stein Seim

Hi :)

Should have bought tapes then.

At that time I was occupied buiding and servicing synthesizers.

Have a good one

Stein

Frederick Vobbe

Had we known how popular Reel to Reel recording would be now, someone back in the 1980s could have warehoused reels and pancakes of tape and made a good amount of money. Even those cheap $2 reels of Radio Shack tape are going for $16+ for new, unopened 7" in 1.5 or 1 mil.

Quoting Stein Seim <steiseim@...>:

Hi :)

Should have bought tapes then.

At that time I was occupied buiding and servicing synthesizers.

Have a good one

Stein

Don Morris

Not really, 40 years of warehousing cost would have more than eaten up any profit someone would make today, even with the much higher prices for NOS stock.

The cost of temperature controlled warehousing is crazy and you can just put these in a barn somewhere.  I was the RMGI, PYRAL and RTM North American Distributor for 18 years and even for a small operation like ours, my warehousing cost was well over $1000 a month.  We stored about 2,000 reels on average and hoped to turn them over about every 45 days.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 4:57 PM Frederick Vobbe <fvobbe@...> wrote:
Had we known how popular Reel to Reel recording would be now, someone
back in the 1980s could have warehoused reels and pancakes of tape and
made a good amount of money.  Even those cheap $2 reels of Radio Shack
tape are going for $16+ for new, unopened 7" in 1.5 or 1 mil.

Quoting Stein Seim <steiseim@...>:
> Hi :)
>
> Should have bought tapes then.
>
> At that time I was occupied buiding and servicing synthesizers.
>
> Have a good one
>
> Stein

Stein Seim

Hi :)

Got two stories about tapes. one bad and one good.

My uncle played in a jazz band in the 50ies and sixties.

They released a double box with two 5" reels.

My brother took it, and sold it without asking me.

One of the tapes I bought on ebay was on an auction.

Edvard Grieg

Peer Gynt suite No.1 Opus. 46 in a special box.

5" reel, 7 1/2 IPS in 2 tracks

Livingstone Audio Products Corporation.

BTW: Bought lots of tapes from Reellady, every tape in

good conditions and always good service.

Den 21.04.2021 23:57, skrev Frederick Vobbe:

Had we known how popular Reel to Reel recording would be now, someone  back in the 1980s could have warehoused reels and pancakes of tape and  made a good amount of money.  Even those cheap $2 reels of Radio Shack  tape are going for $16+ for new, unopened 7" in 1.5 or 1 mil.

Quoting Stein Seim <steiseim@...>:
Hi :)

Should have bought tapes then.

At that time I was occupied buiding and servicing synthesizers.

Have a good one

Stein

Michael K

That Livingston (Livingstonette, actually) of Peer Gynt was a fantastic tape. I had a copy back in 1957 or so, but never had a stereo machine to play it on.

Michael K

As of today, there are 12,000 tapes listed on ebay!