Topics

***UNCHECKED*** Re: [railwayguns, armoured trains and Military Railways] 100 Ton steam gun

Tony

On 2016-09-02 04:37, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI @rolgiati [railwaygun] wrote:

"'Robert Duchesneau' invar4@... [railwaygun]"
<railwaygun@...> wrote:
There was a nice write-up of this in the last but one issue of
Windscreen, the magazine of the Military Vehicle Trust.
Ron.
Thanks for the replies.
I did think it strange that steam was used as a propellant, as it would have been more difficult to control firing by steam pressure,
whereas powder is much easier to control add 1/2 a bag or subtract 1/4 of a bag
Tony

Paul Carrier

Turn of the century (pre-1900) there were experiments with using compressed air as the propellant in large guns.
The USN commissioned the US Vesuvius with three such guns, fixed in elevation and traverse in the hull, you pointed the ship and varied the pressure to change range and deflection.
The idea was they could loft shells with a much higher percentage of explosive filler.
They worked, but were unworkable as anything more than a shore bombardment weapon.

Fortunately the ship herself was rather speeding and proved useful as a dispatch vessel

Paul Carrier

49. Not allowed to trade military equipment for “magic beans”.

On 2016-09-02 04:37, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI renaud@...