From: railwaygun@groups.io [mailto:railwaygun@groups.io] On Behalf Of R v/d Hoven
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 10:21 AM
To: railwaygun@groups.io
Subject: [railwaygun] Restored military trains in the Netherlands #MilitaryRail

As this list also include "Military Railways", I wish to inform you that in the Netherlands, 3 heritagelines have worked together to bring together a "liberation-train" from WW2. As most of you will know, after D-Day, the Allied Forces needed much railway equipment such as locomotives and carriges to bring petrol, ammunition, food and more to the people on the ever moving frontline. Those numbers goes wel into the 100.000's, mostly coming from America and shipped to Europe. A lot of road jeeps and trucks have been saved to remember this but hardly anything from the railways.

At Haaksbergen, at the MBS heritageline, a dedicated group have restored from the former ex-USATC, a boxcar, a warflat and a tankcar into the old glory. The boxcar is from the MBS / Stichting 162; the warflat is from the SCM in Maldegem, Belgium and the tankcar is owned by the VSM heritageline in the Netherlands. We think we have the only "liberation-train" operating in Europe. There are more carriges preserved but mostly as solo items, not as a train.

As of Covid-19, we can not run those cars in combination with former War Department diesellocomotive WD-33 (also restored to full working order) for the public to show them yet. I advise to see this small presentation at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm9enhTrP30&t=4s
It is in Dutch off course, but the pictures will tell the story so far. The WD-33 is not visible, but is there too. We need to painted into WD-colors but that virus has blocked our works. I am happy to give, besides the group if nessasary, more information. If the group would like to know when we will run this train (and we trying to get a steamloco, ex USATC, there as well, I will give you an update on that too.

Greetings from the Netherlands, and from one of the hard workers of this project, Raymond van den Hoven, Utrecht, The Netherlands

Avast logo

donaldedgecomb

That’s wonderful news to hear of the restoration of a train not just a car. Every once in awhile I’ll watch “Hitler’s Steel Beast” on Netflix which covers Hitler’s BP 44 with his personal cars. They are definitely beautiful beasts. I’d love to see more info on which cars will be incorporated into the train lineup. I’ve been modeling several military trains (full train lineup including the Lokomotive). Real life examples and references are sadly hard to find especially on this side of the pond.