Topics

[railwayguns, armoured trains and Military Railways] Re: A interesting photo (the first that I have seen) of the electromagnetic rail gun in full size

Gordon Angus Mackinlay

“this is a military application of Laithwate's linear motor - conceived as motive power for rail locos.”

I am sorry, but the R-31 hover train was intended as a very fast inter-city rail link, and I know of no intended military application?  And there is nothing in the link shown that would indicate anything such as this!
Yours,
MACKINLAY   New South Wales

Nigel Attwood

I was at BR R&D Derby at the time as a soldier on secondment to look at this and a couple of other technologies under development, in axle motors based on the same technology etc. This train was never likely to be a high speed long distance train as the running costs were astronomic powering the track and not the loco. On the test bed it was certainly fast. The technology was reversed to powering the loco and having a fixed magnetic track but very expensive to build though Maglev from Birmingham Airport to the National Exhibition Centre came out of the project.

The project died from a rail point of view but not from the military one as rail guns were the result. These are finally starting to prove successful though still many years away from front line usage.

Nigel Attwood

“this is a military application of Laithwate's linear motor - conceived as motive power for rail locos.”

I am sorry, but the R-31 hover train was intended as a very fast inter-city rail link, and I know of no intended military application?  And there is nothing in the link shown that would indicate anything such as this!

Yours,

MACKINLAY   New South Wales

image

Eric Laithwaite - Wikipedia

Eric Roberts Laithwaite (14 June 1921 – 27 November 1997) was an English electrical engineer, known as the "Father of Maglev" for his development of the l...

Preview by Yahoo

Avast logo