Topics

[railwayguns, armoured trains and Military Railways] Re: New Zealand Railway Troops in the Mediterranean

Gordon Angus Mackinlay

Re Mr Napier’s message on

MALMASSARI Paul. Armoured Trains. An Illustrated Encyclopedia 1825-2016.

The photos in the New Zealand section show locomotives with concrete sections for blast protection, such by no stretch of the imagination provided armour protection.

While the ‘flak wagons’ were common to all Commonwealth railway units in the Western Desert, usually with a couple of captured Italian 20mm Breda Guns, with occasionally 40mm Bofors guns from units going up the line, and the Bren Guns of units being carried on the trains.  All the Commonwealth railway units begged borrowed or stole any form of machine gun for use as local anti-aircraft protection.

One photo in the text shows a very odd looking mounting of four .30cal M1919A1 Browning MGs mounted parallel, which looks like a total waste of effort.  It would have been extremely heavy to follow up a rapidly moving aircraft, no quick and easy way to reload the guns, with no apparent way to move the mount vertically?  There no mention in Judd’s The Desert Railway of any improvised mounts.

One photo in this section of Armoured Trains supposedly of Kiwi’s I have seen previously credited to a Royal Engineer Railway Operating Company?

I will put up my thoughts on Armoured Trains. An Illustrated Encyclopedia. When I have reread it, and found time to put my thoughts into order.

Yours,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mackinlay     New South Wales

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:05 PM
Subject: [railwayguns, armoured trains and Military Railways] Re: New Zealand Railway Troops in the Mediterranean

I'm just reading Paul Malmassari book and was surprised that he attributes the armoured locomotives and flak wagons used on the desert railway to New Zealand.

Paul Napier

Nigel Attwood

Due to a shortage of steel a small number of Stanier 8F loco’s in use in Palestine during WW2 were fitted with concrete armour as small arms protection for the sides of the boiler. The experiment did not last long as it made the loco’s rather top heavy so they had to reduce speed considerably to go round bends. The concrete also cracked due to the vibration and when tested with rifle fire. The bits of slab falling off we potential for derailing the train so after a few months of trials the idea went in the bin.

Nigel Attwood

Sent: 17 January 2017 10:55
To: railwaygun@...
Subject: Re: [railwayguns, armoured trains and Military Railways] Re: New Zealand Railway Troops in the Mediterranean

Re Mr Napier’s message on

MALMASSARI Paul. Armoured Trains. An Illustrated Encyclopedia 1825-2016.

The photos in the New Zealand section show locomotives with concrete sections for blast protection, such by no stretch of the imagination provided armour protection.

While the ‘flak wagons’ were common to all Commonwealth railway units in the Western Desert, usually with a couple of captured Italian 20mm Breda Guns, with occasionally 40mm Bofors guns from units going up the line, and the Bren Guns of units being carried on the trains.  All the Commonwealth railway units begged borrowed or stole any form of machine gun for use as local anti-aircraft protection.

One photo in the text shows a very odd looking mounting of four .30cal M1919A1 Browning MGs mounted parallel, which looks like a total waste of effort.  It would have been extremely heavy to follow up a rapidly moving aircraft, no quick and easy way to reload the guns, with no apparent way to move the mount vertically?  There no mention in Judd’s The Desert Railway of any improvised mounts.

One photo in this section of Armoured Trains supposedly of Kiwi’s I have seen previously credited to a Royal Engineer Railway Operating Company?

I will put up my thoughts on Armoured Trains. An Illustrated Encyclopedia. When I have reread it, and found time to put my thoughts into order.

Yours,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mackinlay     New South Wales

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:05 PM

Subject: [railwayguns, armoured trains and Military Railways] Re: New Zealand Railway Troops in the Mediterranean

I'm just reading Paul Malmassari book and was surprised that he attributes the armoured locomotives and flak wagons used on the desert railway to New Zealand.

Paul Napier

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com