Topics

Railway battery in the War of the Triple Alliance.

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI

I read in Sir Richard F. Burton's "Letters from the battlefields of Paraguay":

"Shortly before my arrival, the Paraguayan outposts had attacked the Brazilians with a "railway battery" of two guns, and had killed and wounded some forty men. The steam-engine was charged by the Rio Grandenses, lance in hand; and no one had the presence of mind to lay a log, or to cut the throat of a horse across the rails in rear. The Paraguayans, after doing damage, leisurely retired, and stopped the train to pick up two of their wounded who had fallen out of it. "

April 13, 1869

Cheers,

Ron.
--