Topics

Bermuda

David Ruebsamen

I am planning a cruise to Bermuda this Spring.  As a side project I was looking at a site that discussed the US  military presence there.  Interesting point which I have yet to research further was the presence of several Railway guns for a number of months in the Second World War.  That must have been quite an undertaking.  And then where did they go?  Anyone have a reference to more specific information?  Otherwise I will update the group as I find further information.

Ron Hunt

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 7:23 PM David Ruebsamen <druebsamen@...> wrote:
I am planning a cruise to Bermuda this Spring.  As a side project I was looking at a site that discussed the US  military presence there.  Interesting point which I have yet to research further was the presence of several Railway guns for a number of months in the Second World War.  That must have been quite an undertaking.  And then where did they go?  Anyone have a reference to more specific information?  Otherwise I will update the group as I find further information.

Phil Gilson

Thanks Ron -

1- Bermuda Coast Artillery  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Victoria,_Bermuda

In that article is a reference to Battery F, 52nd Coast Artillery Regiment (Railway 8-inch gun)

2- 52nd AD Rgt  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52nd_Air_Defense_Artillery_Regiment

Which has the history of its formation in WWI and deployment to France as a RR Arty Bn.

3- 8” RR mount  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-inch_gun_M1888

Which has photos of the RR mounts. A caption under the photo of the 8” RR mount has this reference -

4 - 1918 Handbook of Ordnance (in .pdf and other formats)

https://archive.org/details/handbookordnanc00unkngoog/page/n4

A Marvelous referral – 551 pages with illustrations, tables and text

Attached is a photo of a NIKE Hercules (w booster) and a NIKE Ajax on display at the American Airpower Museum at Farmingdale Long Island, NY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airpower_Museum

Phil, Bklyn

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 2:57 AM Ron Hunt <btlarea@...> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 7:23 PM David Ruebsamen <druebsamen@...> wrote:
I am planning a cruise to Bermuda this Spring.  As a side project I was looking at a site that discussed the US  military presence there.  Interesting point which I have yet to research further was the presence of several Railway guns for a number of months in the Second World War.  That must have been quite an undertaking.  And then where did they go?  Anyone have a reference to more specific information?  Otherwise I will update the group as I find further information.

Ron Hunt

I sure wished someone made a large scale model of those 8" guns, I would love to have one.

Ron

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:23 AM Phil Gilson <breezyphil@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Duchesneau

I recently put in a fair amount of info on US coast defense in Bermuda at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Base_Command .  This mostly came from "Defenses of Bermuda 1612-1995" by Terence McGovern and Edward Harris. I also visited the Royal Dockyard and the associated Keep in October. There are numerous cannon there, from the smoothbore era to one of the Mark X 9.2-inch guns that were the most modern on Bermuda until the US showed up. The US railway guns were positioned near Fort Victoria and Scaur Hill Fort, on the east and west ends of the archipelago respectively. They were on short sections of track that weren't connected to rail lines. The US-built 6-inch batteries were at Fort Victoria and Tudor Hill.

-Robert Duchesneau