Ron Hunt

Good video, thanks for posting it!

Ron

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 5:02 AM Phil Gilson <breezyphil@...> wrote:

Phil Gilson

Thanks Ron. The turntable shown early in the video is among the 85 pix collection I posted earlier.

Here's something I found on Monday, Dec. 31, 2018

888,246 ceramic poppies (planted around the Tower of London) commemorating British Empire losses in WWI

https://www.npr.org/2014/08/16/340649115/a-sea-of-ceramic-poppies-honors-britains-wwi-dead

When I was in school during the 40s, 50s. and 60s, WWI was barely covered. As a result, I'm still catching up and learning something new every day.

Phil

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM Ron Hunt <btlarea@...> wrote:
Good video, thanks for posting it!

Ron

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 5:02 AM Phil Gilson <breezyphil@...> wrote:

thealamo

Phil,
fantastic video!!!  Where did you get it?  VERY FEW photos in this video have been published before.
At 3.11 minutes there is a beautiful photo of the 28cm.K5(E) Eisenbahn railway cannon ROBERT, it was together with its 'brother' LEOPOLD (of the 712 Eisenbahn-Artillerie-Batterie) at Anzio (Italy) beach head shelling the Allied in WWII.  Both were found at the Civitavecchia rail yard (south of Rome), cpl. with all the supply wagons, because the retreating Germans cannot move them due to the bombing of the railway line (courtesy of the Allied airplanes!). Both were moved to the port of Naples and shipped to Aberdeen Proving Ground for evaluation. ROBERT was used to repair/complete LEOPOLD and later on scrapped.
The video also shows another K5 (E) preserved at Audinghen (France) near the Bunker of Batterie Todt.  This one is complete with the generator platform, the one at A.P.G. does not have it.
This generator during transport was loaded on a two axle wagon.  This is funny: as you may see from the video the K5(E) at BatterieTodt has been refurbished and LEOPOLD painted on the sides....  Well, "Houston, we have a problem...".  It seems that there were 2 (two!!) LEOPOLD K5(E) r.r. cannons???
Phil can you write for me what the speaker says when comments the video of the Batterie Todt r.r. cannon?? THANKS A LOT.  My English is good but I don't understand what he says!!

The LIMA model, and later on the RIVAROSSI/HORNBY one, unfortunately, do not have the generator platform.  It seems that this model is a scaled down to 1/87-HO from the Hasegawa 1/72 one.  However, the Hasegawa one did have the generator platform.
May be somebody does know if a plastic kit (or  a built model) of the generator is available??

HAPPY NEW YEAR full of many railway artillery models and supply wagons!!  It seems that nobody makes them in 1/87 scale...

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 at 11:02, Phil Gilson <breezyphil@...> wrote:

simon pocock

Great video, great guns … thanks and happy new year everyone

Simon

[...]

A 13 minute railwaygun video

Phil, Bklyn

nr_groups

Edited

in N scale, the Dragon & Hobbytrain models do have the generator carriage - pics to follow whwn I can get into the attic!

A happy New Year to all our 377 members and a reminder that we are 21yrs old on 17th January! ( although the opening message is dated 07/03/1998 !)

Drinks at my place!

BW

Nick R.

Phil Gilson

WWI summarized by the numbers - three pages of this and that - all-in-all it's very sobering!

Phil, Bklyn

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 3:24 AM nr_groups <nrobinson@...> wrote:
in N scale, the Dragon & Hobbytrain models do have the generator carriage - pics to follow whwn I can get into the attic!

A happy New Year to all our 377 members and a reminder that we are 21yrs old on 17th January!

Drinks at my place!

BW

Nick R.

Peter Ellis

If I was in London, I'd be happy to take you up on that !

BTW, someone does do, or did, a 1/87 resin generator because I've got
one, but cannot remember where from.

Happy New Year !

--
Peter Ellis

Porec Sales Office
Croatia Property Services

Selling in the new Tuscany!

Tel +385 (0) 91 400 3784

peter.ellis@...
info@...

http://www.croatiapropertyservices.com
http://croatiaproperty.proboards.com

Paul Betts

Very notice video and thanks for posting it.  In all my hunting for information on the K-5s I never saw this video.

A little more information on the guns.

The generator on the K-5 in France is actually the wrong one for the type of gun.  The generator is equipped with the two track system for loading shells while the K-5 itself is only equipped with a single track system.  But it is a generator, which sadly the real Leopold at Fort Lee is missing.  It would be fairly easy to modify, but then how many people will ever notice it?

The Americans actually transported three K-5s to the States after the war.  Obviously two were the aforementioned Leopold and Robert.  In addition they also transported a third gun which had been modified to fire the "Peenemunder Pfeilgeschosse or Penemunde Arrow" type shells, which were  discarding sabot rounds, known as the K-5 Glatt.  Both Robert and the K-5 Glatt met the scrapper's torch eventually.  I have often wondered if the generators were actually transported to the States with the guns.  Photos of Leopold with American troops on it show the camoflage frame on top of the gun, which means the carriage had probably been changed to transport mode.  This mean, as you know, that the generator would have been moved onto the transport flatcar immediately behind the gun.  Did the Americans recognize the need for the generator or did they just figure "we have generators by the ton"?

I have attached a photo of the three guns that I spotted on ebay, sadly I was not able to buy the actual photo.  Notice Leopold, in the foreground, has her barrel pointed to the left.  There are two other barrels on the right, one belonging to Robert and the other to the K-5 Glatt.  In the photo, the generator is missing and the rear truck is in the firing position not the transport position.  Also all of the framework on top of the gun has been cleaned off.

One of these days I'll have to post some photos of my model of the K-5 (Dragon version) which I kitbashed to show the prototype with the barrel frame, the rabbit ears, the extra trunion and the mid frame ladders.  I am one of these people that believe it was not "Bruno Nueue", but that it was the first gun of the K-5 series.  A point that can be discussed at a later time if desired.

I also have two more kits of the Leopold that I am going to use as parts for a build of the K-12N, the WW2 version of the Paris gun.  Mostly I can get the trucks, and many smaller parts out of them, although the trucks have to be modified from 6 axles to 5 axles.  Probably about 75% of the gun will have to be scratch built.  Fortunately I was able to contact someone (name withheld by his request) and got some really nice drawings of the gun that came from Krupp.  I believe they have since been donated back to the German archives.