Re: Mfg 8 inch HE shell, 1917

Phil Gilson

Thanks Ron. Picture 19 in this series says the rate was close to 25%.

Stunning and disturbing photographs.

Phil Gilson
ARAD Comm 1956-63
ArmyAirDefense Command)

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 9:36 AM Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@...> wrote:
On Mon, 13 May 2019 10:18:03 -0500
"Phil Gilson" <breezyphil@...> wrote:

All the time and effort to make this item is gone in 1/1000th of a second
when the shell explodes!
All through the 20th century, WW I to Vietnam, the rate of failure to explode has remained remarkably constant, around 10%.

I remember being shown at the Academy video of the Viet Minh heating unexploded shells to recover the melinite filling for use in IEDs (as they are called now)...

Cheers,

Ron.
--
Anarchy may not be the best form of government,
but it's better than no government at all.