My thinking related to an article, also June 11 dinner at Skylarks.

Next Wednesday Dinner will be at Skylarks in Fairhaven District. 1308 11th, starts around 5 - 5:30 PM June 11.

http://www.skylarkshiddencafe.com

--------

Why didn't gay rights cure gay loneliness?

Commentary by Robert

Very thought provoking article and also my take on it.

Link to article.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/gay-loneliness/

My take.

A very interesting, tho quite long article about loneliness and problems that persist in spite of progress toward acceptance of gay people. One of the readers in this group brought it to my attention. Great food for thought.

Personally, I see a big source of these problems coming from the competitive nature of dating. It seems like the concept of finding that ideal "soulmate" can be problematic. Even for young people, one is never good enough. On the dating apps, there's always someone "better" just a few swipes away. It can be kind of a stressful situation.

In my opinion, the higher expectations in our more progressive society can also cast a dark shadow. One is often haunted by the question, "is my life what it could be?"

Even before the era of phone apps, I found the whole dating scene to be problematic. That was back in the days when it was more about classified ads and meeting in bars. It still seemed kind of shallow and competitive to me.

I have to say that, personally, I never really participated in the dating world. Maybe I'm a bit biased against it as I do know of many happy couples, but I also know of a lot of problems.

Myself, I value different things from different people. In some cases, it may be an erotic appreciation of body shape, but there are so many other things I value as well. Good conversation, for instance. Finding all these things to line up in one person may not be impossible, but it seems improbable.

I may have not found the solution for everyone, but for me, I enjoy a wide range of different people for different reasons. Like a circle of friends and community.

--------

Newsletter compiled by Robert Ashworth.

Andrew Hallum

Your comments are very good, Robert!

Thanks,

Andrew Hallum in Lynden

On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 9:53 PM bicycletourist2002@... [alternativebellingham] <alternativebellingham@...> wrote:

[...]

KyleKayak OutKayaking

Double checking date June 12, 2019 not 11th.