WWVB surrogate (was: Update on GPSDO video)

sigcom1

Funny, I was thinking almost exactly the same thing about a week ago when 3 of my 4 WWVB-disciplined clocks refused to sync to NIST for
several days (only 1 remains recalcitrant at the moment).

With the future availability of those signals in question, it's 'time' (ahem) to consider a GPS disciplined replacement, IMHO.

Faraday cage? I'll just call mine an Incidental Radiator. The trick is to get my clocks to listen during daylight hours instead of
midnight as they do now ;-P .

73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 7:47 PM chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@gmail.com> wrote:

Any one have the serial output data for the GPSDO? Might be interesting to build a
1mW transmitter to emulate WWVB and feed my atomic clocks during the daylight
hours from time to time. Of course, keeping it in a Faraday cage.

N5VMO Pat

I did a command line command line AUTO sync my NIST servers ONLINE like
someone suggested ( as my motherboard battery is very old .... 20 years old
=) This took care of my 6 second in a 24 hour drift .... now completely
solved in my Linux OS computer =)

--

*73's Pat N5VMO*

Nick Kennedy

That's a crazy enough idea to be a fun project. Be your own private NIST /
WWVB.

I did a PIC program a while ago to decode the data stream from a WWVB
module and have it update a clock, using a PIC.

Going the opposite way, you'd have to figure out how to do that
phase-shifty modulation scheme it uses.

72-

Nick, WA5BDU

wrote:

Any one have the serial output data for the GPSDO? Might be interesting
to build a
1mW transmitter to emulate WWVB and feed my atomic clocks during the
daylight
hours from time to time. Of course, keeping it in a Faraday cage.

Ray

Plus you would have to maintain backward compatibility for the old AM format. They lower power by 10 dB at the beginning of each second. How long this power drop lasts determines whether the bit is a 0 or a 1. My guess is the majority of clocks in use are controlled by the old format. My Casio "atomic" watch is at least 10 years old and still syncs almost every morning at 3 AM. The new phase format was not introduced until 2012.

Ray,
AB7HE

Graham, VE3GTC

Ed Nisley published an series of articles in Circuit Cellar Ink about
WWVB clocks. Feb 2010 was part 1 and detailed a WWVB simulator.

A quick search using Google will find a number of the WWVB simulator
results including some based on the ubiquitous Arduino.

This is an interesting topic on it's own.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

wrote:

Any one have the serial output data for the GPSDO? Might be interesting
to build a
1mW transmitter to emulate WWVB and feed my atomic clocks during the
daylight
hours from time to time. Of course, keeping it in a Faraday cage.

Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...>

If the NIST signals are traveling on OF cables to reach you thro'
internet, perhaps there could be variations and sync'ing might not be that
easy, I fear.
Regards
sarma
vu3zmv

wrote:

Any one have the serial output data for the GPSDO? Might be interesting
to build a
1mW transmitter to emulate WWVB and feed my atomic clocks during the
daylight
hours from time to time. Of course, keeping it in a Faraday cage.

Ray

sarma, you are correct. I notice about a one second delay between my computer clock and WWV even immediately after a NIST itnternet sync. But I guess one second is good enough for us humans.

My watch is virtually dead on with WWV since is syncs with WWVB. WWVB covers most of North America and parts of South America depending on time of day.

https://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm

Ray,
AB7HE

Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...>

Thanks Ray,
good enough for humans but NOT for WSPR management, I suppose.
we need to find way from GPS only.
regards
sarma
vu3zmv