Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: September 20, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: September 20, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Sep 20, 2018, 7:49 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 13, September 20, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 13 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 2.2.6 Timeouts
By Becky Gibson.
"Our series on the new WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria continues with the
next level AAA success criteria focused on cognitive accessibility.
Success criterion 2.2.6 Timeouts helps to prevent data loss when
entering data. It falls under guideline 2.2, Enough Time…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-226Timeouts/

WCAG 2.1 Article Series via Knowbility
By Dennis Lembree.
Dennis recaps Becky Gibson's series on WCAG 2.1.
http://www.webaxe.org/wcag-2-1-article-series-knowbility/

Content on Hover & Focus
By Detlev Fischer.
"Some content is transient: it appears as a pop-up in a layer on top
of the page. The pop-up is displayed when the user hovers over a
trigger element with the mouse, or focuses the trigger with the
keyboard…"
https://accessuse.eu/en/Content-hover-focus.html

Dunkin' Donuts Gets Burned by ADA Decision
By Jesse M. Brody.
"In a plaintiff-friendly decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the
Eleventh Circuit sided with a blind man to find that his allegations
of website inaccessibility were sufficient to move his Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) suit forward…"
https://manatt.com/Insights/Newsletters/Advertising-Law/Dunkin-Donuts-Gets-Burned-by-ADA-Decision

Senators Urge DOJ to Weigh in On ADA Impact on Websites
By Ben Jacobson.
"A pair of U.S. senators from Iowa say it's unclear whether the
landmark Americans with Disabilities Act transcends the physical world
into the cyber realm…"
http://www.telegraphherald.com/news/politics/article_c4d4963c-5b7d-59fb-9c31-1360d53b811a.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Flexbox: How Big is That Flexible Box?
By Rachel Andrew.
"In the last two articles, we have looked at what happens when we
create a flex container, and also taken a look at alignment. This time
we explore the often confusing issue of sizing in Flexbox. How does
Flexbox decide how big things should be?…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/09/flexbox-sizing-flexible-box/

CSS Dismissal is About Exclusion, Not Technology
By Kevin Ball.
"…It's become increasingly clear that the "debate" about CSS is not
about technology. It's about gender privilege and exclusion…"
https://zendev.com/2018/09/11/css-dismissal-is-about-exclusion-not-technology.html

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

5 Ways to Interpret a SUS Score
By Jeff Sauro.
"…1. Percentiles… 2. Grades… 3. Adjectives… 4. Acceptability… 5.
Promoters and Detractors…"
https://measuringu.com/interpret-sus-score/

Ethics in UX — Yes, you do need to think about this
By Loop11.
"I wanted to share a recent article we wrote about Ethics in UX. It's
inspired by the story of a UX professional who had an unbelievably
shocking experience acting as a participant within a usability study
for Freelancer.com…"
https://medium.com/@Loop11/ethics-in-ux-yes-you-do-need-to-think-about-this-60006f2adcbf

+04: EVENTS.

What You Need to Know About WCAG 2.1
September 26, 2018.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/8915355480728/WN__Ajriw-dQt65h4__cTZZ5A

World Usability Day
November 9, 2018.
Everywhere
https://worldusabilityday.org/

PHP World
November 14-15, 2018.
Washington D.C., U.S.A.
https://world.phparch.com/

Agile Accessibility in a Regulated Industry
Online.
November 15, 2018.
http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=527

Creating Accessible Documents with Adobe InDesign
November 15, 2018.
Online
https://www.accessibilityonline.org/ada-tech/session/?id=110677

+05: HTML.

The dialog Element
By Chris Manning.
"Simplify pop-ups and modals using the HTML dialog element…"
https://www.viget.com/articles/the-dialog-element/

HTML elements, unite! The Voltron-Like Powers of Combining Elements.
By Mandy Michael.
"Guides, resources and discussions about Semantic HTML are often
focused around specific elements, like a heading, or a sectioning
element, or a list. It's not often that we talk specifically about how
we can combine HTML elements to increase their effectiveness…"
https://css-tricks.com/html-elements-unite-the-voltron-like-powers-of-combining-elements/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

On Using Tracking Scripts
By Michael Scharnagl.
"…When looking at the costs versus the benefits it is hard to believe
that almost every website is using tracking scripts…"
https://justmarkup.com/log/2018/09/on-using-tracking-scripts/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

What's Best for Users
By Winston Hearn.
"…The incentives that Google technology created were very important in
the evolution of this current stage of the web. I think we should be
skeptical of AMP because once again a single company's technology -
the same single company - is creating the incentives for where we go
next…I'm not sure I am yet willing to cede the web to a single
monopolized company…"
http://winstonhearn.com/the-incentives-shaping-the-web-amp-google/

+08: USABILITY.

Pages at a Glance -- The Importance of the First Two Sentences of Any Topic
By Tom Johnson.
"Showing users the 'Pages at a glance' when they click a folder title
in a sidebar can help users get a quick understanding of the whole
without slogging through the details of each page. The first two
sentences of a topic should encapsulate the point of the whole topic
is a condensed and informative way."
https://idratherbewriting.com/2018/09/15/pages-at-a-glance-feature/

Help Users Skim Contents with Titled Sections
By Priscilla Esser.
"Text-heavy websites, such as those of all the major newspapers that
have embraced the web as an essential medium for the future, know the
importance of using titled sections to reel the readers in. There's a
perfect art to the craft, and it stems from an exact science
concerning how human beings process information…"
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/help-users-skim-contents-with-titled-sections

Form Field Usability: Avoid Multi-Column Layouts (13% Get It Wrong)
By Edward Scott.
"…Consequences of using a multi-column form layout include users
skipping fields where they actually have data to input, inputting data
into the wrong fields, or simply coming to a halt and puzzling over
how to proceed with inputting their data in the first place…"
https://baymard.com/blog/avoid-multi-column-forms

Branding Manipulation
By Gerry McGovern.
"Branding can mean something. It can be a way to summarize what you
are, what you stand for. However, branding is too often used to make
gullible people believe anything. Much branding is a form of
psychological trickery, emotional manipulation, magic…"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/branding-manipulation/

What is a Mental Model? (Video)
By Aurora Harley.
"What users think they know about your system will determine how they
interact with the design. Understand users' mental models to design
something that'll work well in practice."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgXISssAws

Why is UX so Difficult? (Video)
By Kara Pernice.
"UX practitioners who feel inept at their job usually face far greater
challenges than improving their design, craft or research prowess.
Rather, addressing development schedules, Agile, Scrum, Lean, and team
member's roles can create the greatest challenges."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5lLjmL278

A Personal Journey Through User Experience
By Marc Hassenzahl.
"Twenty years ago, it seemed as if functionalism had finally won. Back
then, effective and efficient use had been the sole mission for
practitioners of human-computer interaction (HCI)…"
http://uxpajournal.org/personal-journey-user-experience/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Preview YouTube video Why is UX so difficult?

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...