Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: July 12, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: July 12, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Jul 12, 2018, 7:50 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 03, July 12, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 03 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
09: TOOLS.
10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Introducing Accessibility for Teams
By Maya Benari.
"…We distilled what we learned into a quick-start guide for embedding
accessibility and inclusive design into a team's workflow…Each person
on a team, whether you're a manager, designer, or developer, has a
role to play. Your responsibilities are different depending on your
role…"
https://digital.gov/2018/07/10/introducing-accessibility-for-teams/

Accessibility Developer Guide
By Access for All and Accessibility Alliance.
"If you want to learn about accessible website development, you are at
the right place…"
https://www.accessibility-developer-guide.com/

Learn to Create Inclusive Design Experiences with Accessibility at a
Glance Videos
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"…The series aims to offer helpful tips and recommendations for
creating inclusive design experiences, with short videos…"
https://www.lireo.com/accessibility-at-glance-videos-inclusive-design/

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 2.5.4 Motion Actuation
By Becky Gibson.
"Our series on the new WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria continues with the
next success criterion within the new 2.5 Input Modalities guideline:
2.5.4 Motion Actuation…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-254MotionActuation/

The Current State of Modal Dialog Accessibility
By Scott O'Hara.
"…to truly get a handle on the current state of modal dialog
accessibility, one should be aware of the current issues facing both
native and custom (ARIA) modal dialogs…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/06/the-current-state-of-modal-dialog-accessibility/

WCAG Checklist
By Yale University.
https://usability.yale.edu/web-accessibility/articles/wcag-checklist

Settlement Agreement Between The United States of America and Teachers
Test Prep Under the Americans With Disabilities Act
By The US Department of Justice.
"…TTP will ensure all of its online video content has captions.  For
the purposes of this agreement, captions are defined as the visual
display of the audio portion of a video file that is consistent with
the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 AA Guideline 1.2.2
or Guideline 1.2.4 (for live video). TTP represents that its current
closed captioning provided in its online videos is compliant with
these guidelines…"
https://www.ada.gov/ttp_sa.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Pattern Library First: An Approach For Managing CSS
By Rachel Andrew.
"CSS can be hard to manage across a project, especially when you need
to include media queries for various breakpoints and fallbacks for
older browsers. In this article, we will take a look at using Fractal
to manage components which use CSS Grid…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/07/pattern-library-first-css/

Gallery Grid With CSS Grid
By Laura Kalbag.
"CSS Grid Layout is great. My site layout is fairly simple, so had no
need for lots of grid-I only used it for lining up comments and
avatars on old blog posts."
https://laurakalbag.com/gallery-grid-with-css-grid/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Practical Role of Automated Web Accessibility Testing Tools
By Hiram Kuykendall.
"…By understanding the limitations and costs associated with automated
accessibility testing packages, organizations can strengthen their
existing accessibility programs and create long-term, sustainable,
accessible websites and web applications."
https://www.microassist.com/digital-accessibility/role-web-accessibility-testing-tools/

Field Studies Should Inform Intranet Redesign
By Therese Fessenden.
"Observing users in their natural work environment provides realistic
context and representative data, unveils mismatches between users'
mental models and designers' beliefs about them, and builds empathy
with end users."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/field-studies-intranet-redesign/

Five Takeaways from the UXPA 2018 Conference
By Tom Tullis.
"When I attend a conference I'm pretty happy if I come away from it
with at least one practical takeaway per day of the conference…"
https://medium.com/@tomtullis/five-takeaways-from-the-uxpa-2018-conference-17e1b2e48c48

Interpreting Single Items from the SUS
By Jeff Sauro.
"…Single measures, such as satisfaction, brand attitude, task ease,
and likelihood to recommend, also exhibit sufficient test-retest
reliability and little if anything may be gained by using multiple
items…"
https://measuringu.com/sus-items/

+04: EVENTS.

JSConf US 2018
August 21-23, 2018.
Carlsbad, California, U.S.A.
https://2018.jsconf.us/

CoderCruise
August 30-September 3, 2018.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.A.
https://www.codercruise.com/

Nordic.js
September 6-7, 2018.
Stockholm, Sweden
http://nordicjs.com/

The UX Conference
September 7, 2018.
London, England, United Kingdom
http://theuxconf.com/

DrupalCon Europe
September 10-14, 2018.
Darmstadt, Germany
https://www.drupaleurope.org/

+05: HTML.

Demand Refunds for Invalid HTML in Courses
By Adrian Roselli.
"…If you are taking courses to improve your development skills or
learn new technologies, whether online or in real life, you should be
comfortable demanding a refund if you know the material is wrong…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2018/07/demand-refunds-for-invalid-html-in-courses.html

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Searchbox Role
By Suman Damera.
"…if this search form control cannot be constructed with html input
type search for some reason then we are left with the option of using
new aria1.1 searchbox role to make this custom control accessible…"
http://www.sumandamera.com/searchbox-role/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

9 Famous Faces on What they Love About the Web
By Web Foundation.
"For the past three decades, the internet and the web have been an
empowering force for forging connections, learning, earning, and
building global networks. Let's take a moment to appreciate the power
of connectivity. Here's what some famous faces have to say about it…"
https://webfoundation.org/2018/07/9-famous-faces-on-what-they-love-about-the-web/

+08: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Guidelines for Brutalist Web Design
By David Copeland.
"Raw content true to its construction…"
https://brutalist-web.design/

Components and Concerns
By Jeremy Keith.
"…My point is this: Separating structure, presentation, and behaviour
is a good idea. Separating an interface into components is a good
idea. Those two good ideas are not in conflict…"
https://adactio.com/journal/14103

Web Components in 2018
By James Milner.
"…Web Components are not a single technology. Instead, they are series
of browser standards defined by the W3C allowing developers to build
components in a way the browser can natively understand. These
standards include: HTML Templates and Slots…Shadow DOM…
Custom Elements…"
https://www.sitepen.com/blog/2018/07/06/web-components-in-2018/

+09: TOOLS.

Augmenting Empathy: Simulating Low-Vision Conditions with CSS, SVG and
WebRTC (Video)
By Shwetank Dixit.
Shwetank's CSSconf EU 2018 presentation. "…This talk is a story of how
I talked to persons with low vision and their family members, and
tried to make tools to help people understand how people with various
low-vision conditions see the world. Through the power of CSS, SVG and
WebRTC, we’ll take a look at how to simulate low-vision conditions and
what it taught me about empathy…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWoeK2SFSpI

Accessibility Inspector in Mozilla FireFox 61 and Beyond
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Accessibility Inspector is now built into Mozilla FireFox 61. This
feature will give a wonderful opportunity for the accessibility
testers and consultants to review the accessibility properties of any
element and provide a detailed description for the audit report. In
this article let us understand , how to enable it and use the
feature…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/07/accessibility-inspector-in-firefox/

+10: USABILITY.

Hick's Law: Designing Long Menu Lists (Video)
By Katie Sherwin.
"Hick's Law (or the Hick-Hyman Law) says that the more choices you
present to your users, the longer it takes them to reach a decision.
However, combining Hick's Law with other design techniques can make
long menus easy to use."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbbTOzArcWQ

The Availability Heuristic (Video)
By Lexie Martin.
"People make decisions based on the information that is most readily
available to them. Understanding how the availability heuristic works
will help you design for the way people think."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmLIbGV568

Better Research, Better Design, Better Results
By Sam Wright and James Macnamara.
"Most web professionals like to see their influence felt in web design
projects as early as possible, in order to make sure what they have to
say gets heard. Yet often SEOs and content marketers are asked to step
in post-launch when the design work is more or less complete. However,
there are very real benefits, ranging from better UX to lower costs to
using SEO-focused data such as keyword research as a springboard for
design and development, rather than having to turn to it further down
the line."
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/07/better-research-design-results/

No More FAQs: Create Purposeful Information for a More Effective User Experience
By Lisa Wright.
"Putting the right information in the right place to best support user
(and company) goals requires carefully targeted content and good
information architecture (IA) … and definitely no FAQs! However
attractive the FAQ 'solution' might seem at times, using it makes
information hard to find, access and maintain, and generally hinders
task completion. Discussing the limitations of-and alternatives
to-FAQs, Lisa Wright is on a mission to banish them forever, or at the
very least make them more effective if you have to include them."
http://alistapart.com/article/no-more-faqs-create-purposeful-information-for-a-more-effective-user-experi

New Research Findings on 'Accounts and Self-Service' UX
By Edward Scott.
"At Baymard the research team has just spent 2,866 hours usability
testing and researching e-commerce Accounts & Self-Service features,
layouts, content, and designs - leading to our new research study on
Accounts & Self-Service UX.…"
https://baymard.com/blog/new-research-accounts-self-service

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Preview YouTube video Hick's Law: Designing Long Menu Lists
Preview YouTube video The Availability Heuristic

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...