Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 33, February 7, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 33, February 7, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 33 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: MISCELLANEOUS.
07: NAVIGATION.
08: TOOLS.
09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

How My Brain-Damaged Mother Changed How I Look at Interface Design
(Hat tip to Jim Allan)
By John Brownlee.
"Her technical expertise launched a billion phone calls, yet now she
is routinely thwarted by what many hail as one of the most accessible
UIs on the planet…"
https://magenta.as/how-my-brain-damaged-mother-changed-how-i-look-at-interface-design-9d2a06f042a1

Takeaways from Digital Accessibility - Guide to Trustworthy Free
Online Resources
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"At yesterday's free Digital Accessibility Support - Guide to
Trustworthy Free Online Resources webinar hosted by The Paciello
Group, Shawn Henry from the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) at the
World Wide Web Consortium shared a wealth of information about the
digital accessibility resources available on the WAI website…"
https://www.lireo.com/takeaways-digital-accessibility-guide-trustworthy-free-online-resources/

Complete Guide to Accessible Video and Audio for the Web
By Stefany Newman.
"…Captions, transcript, audio description, non-seizure/migraine
inducing content, keyboard functions, accessible player - it all ties
together to create an incredible experience for abled and disabled
users. But all the inventions in the world are useless without the
ultimate ingredient - desire. A desire to share your content and to
make it in a way as many people as possible will be able to enjoy. Not
only will you reap enormous benefits, but you will get the best gain
ever - making the world a better place…"
https://codepen.io/Stefany93/post/complete-guide-to-accessible-video-and-audio-for-the-web

Make Your Hashtags Accessible
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"…To make your hashtags more accessible, capitalize the first letter
of each word (sometimes called "camel case" or "camel backing")…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/make-your-hashtags-accessible

AcceDe Web Guidelines (Hat tip to Nicolas Hoffmann)
By Atalan.
"The AcceDe Web guides are written from the perspective of each of the
key project stakeholders and cover the full Web project cycle…"
https://www.accede-web.com/en/guidelines/

7 Things You Should Know About Accessibility Policy
By EDUCAUSE.
"Accessibility policies frame standards and expectations for how a
college or university's programs, services, and facilities serve the
needs of people with disabilities…"
https://library.educause.edu/resources/2019/2/7-things-you-should-know-about-accessibility-policy

Due Process and Primary Jurisdiction Defenses to Website Accessibility
Claims Fall Like Dominoes in the Ninth Circuit
By  Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
"…Consistent with the DOJ's position in its September 25, 2018 letter
regarding website accessibility, the court noted that public
accommodations are provided 'maximum flexibility in meeting the
[ADA's] requirements.' Nonetheless, conformance to WCAG 2.0 or 2.1
likely remains the only predictably safe standard to ensure that
websites comply with the ADA."
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/due-process-and-primary-jurisdiction-63209/

Websites Need to be More Accessible for Disabled People
By S.E. Smith.
"A recent wave of lawsuits - some of them controversial - is bringing
the issue to the fore…"
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2/5/18210912/websites-ada-compliance-lawsuits

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

A Guide To CSS Support In Browsers
By Rachel Andrew.
"It can be frustrating when you want to use a feature and discover
that it is not supported or behaves differently across browsers. In
this article, Rachel Andrew details the different types of browser
support issues, and shows how CSS is evolving to make it easier to
deal with them. …"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/02/css-browser-support/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Research Questions Are Not Interview Questions
By Erika Hall.
"The most significant source of confusion in design research is the
difference between research questions and interview questions…"
https://medium.com/mule-design/research-questions-are-not-interview-questions-7f90602eb533

What Is the CE11 (And Is It Better than the NPS)?
By Jeff Sauro.
"For measuring the user experience, I recommend using a mix of
task-based and study-level measures that capture both attitudes (e.g.
SUS, SUPR-Q, SEQ, and NPS) and actions (e.g. completion rates and
times)…"
https://measuringu.com/ce11-nps/

How to Effectively Address the Usability Debt Within Your Product
By Catriona Shedd.
"Many companies fall into a dreaded pattern of continuing to ship new
features without going back and iterating upon things that were
previously shipped based on research and insights…"
https://medium.com/iq-design/how-to-effectively-address-the-usability-debt-within-your-product-6b8693e6e853

+04: EVENTS.

ARIA: Apply Sparingly
March 25, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/Accessibility-Twin-Cities/events/257427546/

#PerfMatters Conference
April 2-3, 2019.
Redwood City, Califorina, U.S.A.
https://perfmattersconf.com/

University of Illinois WebCon
April 3-5, 2019.
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, U.S.A.
http://webcon.illinois.edu/

AIGA Design Conference
April 4-6, 2019.
Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
https://designconference.aiga.org/

DrupalCon Seattle
April 8-12, 2019.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://events.drupal.org/seattle2019

Funka Accessibility Days
April 9-10, 2019.
Stockholm, Sweden
https://www.funka.com/en/we-offer/funka-accessibility-days/

ABLE Summit
April 11-12, 2019.
Beirut, Lebanon
https://sites.aub.edu.lb/able/

+05: HTML.

Revisiting the abbr Element
By Ire Aderinokun.
"…I've gotten some feedback on some accessibility-related issues to
the implementation. Scott O'Hara in particular raised a lot of
important concerns…"
https://bitsofco.de/revisiting-the-abbr-element/

How Do You Figure?
By Chris Coyier.
"…The point is that you can't write it once because <figcaption> and
alt do different things."
https://css-tricks.com/how-do-you-figure/

Reconsidering Pre and Reflow
By Wayne Dick.
"I think the time of Pre has passed for everything except 'typewriter
art'. We entered the computer era with all literature text files, end
of line, spaces and return symbols. That is 'preformatted text'…"
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2019JanMar/0032.html

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Paying Tribute to the Web with View Source
By David Heinemeier Hansson (DHH).
"…The web is just a marvel of a platform. So unique. So empowering.
It's easy to just fall into the trap of 'what can the web do for me,
for my business, for my customers'. Some times it's worth taking a
step back and ask yourself: What can I do for the web? One answer:
Protect and promote View Source."
https://m.signalvnoise.com/paying-tribute-to-the-web-with-view-source/

+07: NAVIGATION.

Léonie Watson on Why Semantic HTML Document Landmarks Assist Her Using
a Screenreader (Video)
By Léonie Watson.
An excerpt from February 5 Smashing Webinar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUCYPM6up9M

+08: TOOLS.

WCAG 2.1 Color Contrast Analyzer
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"…The new CCA tool is developed by The Paciello Group. Additional
information of the tool can be found at the  Color contrast analyzer
page. The code and other information including Mac and Windows
versions are at download CCA page…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2019/02/wcag-2-1-color-contrast-analyzer/

+09: USABILITY.

The Immutable Rules of UX (Video)
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Jakob Nielsen's keynote at the Las Vegas UX Conference discussed the
foundational principles of user experience that are stable decade
after decade."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/rules-ux/

How to Report Errors in Forms: 10 Design Guidelines
By Rachel Krause.
"Help users recover from errors by clearly identifying the problems
and allowing users to access and correct erroneous fields easily."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/errors-forms-design-guidelines/

Status Trackers and Progress Updates: 16 Design Guidelines
By Maria Rosala.
"Status trackers are pull; progress updates are push. Both are used to
track the delivery of a product or service. When they work together
effectively, users are informed and in control."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/status-tracker-progress-update/

Search UX: 6 Essential Elements for 'No Results' Pages
By Edward Scott.
"During our large-scale Search usability testing, many users at some
point encountered a 'No Results' page as they searched for products…"
https://baymard.com/blog/no-results-page

Use and Convenience Replace Trust and Security
By Gerry McGovern.
"…Those that make it simple and easy are ruling the world. Those that
understand what people do, rather than what people say, are ruling the
world. For good or ill, you can't craft an effective customer
experience on a website or app, 'if you don't first and foremost truly
understand your customers. Facebook knows this. Google knows this. But
nine out of ten organizations that I deal with don't. And then we
wonder why Facebook and Google have become so dominant?"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/use-and-convenience-replace-trust-and-security/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson