Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 32, February 1, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 32, February 1, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 32 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: NAVIGATION.
09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Time Traveler's Guide to Accessibility Mechanics (Video)
By Léonie Watson.
"…As we move towards a future of Web Components, the time has come to
invent another solution that will let us encapsulate accessibility in
the shadow DOM - and its called the Accessibility Object Model (AOM)…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31V1zeEgoA

Announcing 'Access,' a Short Film About Accessibility (Video)
By Chris Higgins.
"Today I released Access, my short documentary about accessibility. It
follows Cory Joseph through a typical day, showing how he uses his
smartphone, Braille display, tactile watch, and guide dog (named Vine)
to navigate the world. I hope you watch it, and I hope it inspires you
to make your work more accessible to more people…"
https://medium.com/@chrishiggins/announcing-access-a-short-film-about-accessibility-2812ef64a13b

Digital Accessibility Concerns in Design Affordances (Hat Tip to Jim Allan)
By Sheri Byrne-Haber.
"A design affordance is a clue about how an object should be used,
typically provided by the object itself or its context…"
https://medium.com/@sheribyrnehaber/digital-accessibility-concerns-in-design-affordances-34c38f5d6779

How to Learn About Accessibility Best Practices in WordPress
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"Learn how to make your WordPress site accessible to everyone."
https://www.lireo.com/learn-about-wordpress-accessibility-best-practices/

Switch Access on Mobile
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Switch Access allows the users with dexterity impairments to use
their mobile device without touching the screen…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2019/01/switch-access-mobile/

Word and PowerPoint Accessibility Evaluation Checklist
By WebAIM.
"This new resource can help you through the process of evaluating
Office documents and presentations for accessibility."
https://webaim.org/resources/evaloffice/

Real Facts about the Elderly and the World Wide Web
By Joel Holmberg.
"There are lots of stereotypes about the elderly and tech or the world
wide web…"
https://axesslab.com/real-facts-about-the-elderly-and-the-world-wide-web/

More Than 75 New York Galleries Are Slammed With Lawsuits for
Allegedly Violating the Americans With Disabilities Act
By Eileen Kinsella.
"Galleries are the latest industry to be targeted by a wave of
lawsuits over the accessibility of their websites…"
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/dozens-of-new-york-galleries-slammed-with-lawsuits-for-ada-compliance-on-websites-1450276

Digital Accessibility - Developments in 2018
By Teresa L. Jakubowski.
"In 2018, the field of digital accessibility witnessed a number of
developments, including increasing litigation, demand letters, and the
release of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 (WCAG 2.1)…"
https://library.educause.edu/resources/2019/1/digital-accessibility-developments-in-2018

Digital Accessibility Law and Regulation: Current Status and What to Do About It
By Jarret Cummings.
"To help members navigate the often confusing compliance environment
for digital accessibility, EDUCAUSE asked a legal expert to review
last year's major developments, explain what they mean, and identify
key steps that institutions should consider in response…"
https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2019/1/digital-accessibility-law-and-regulation-current-status-and-what-to-do-about-it

The Legal Picture for Web Accessibility in 2019
By Joseph C. Dolson.
"…Even though the DoJ has not established guidelines for accessible
websites, businesses (including ecommerce sites) are well advised to
follow W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, version 2.1, at
level AA. There are several reasons…"
https://www.practicalecommerce.com/the-legal-picture-for-web-accessibility-in-2019

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Putting the Flexbox Albatross to Real Use
By Chris Coyier.
"If you hadn't seen it, Heydon posted a rather clever flexbox layout
pattern that, in a sense, mimics what you could do with a container
query by forcing an element to stack at a certain container width. I
was particularly interested, as I was fighting a little layout
situation at the time I saw this and thought it could be a solution.
Let's take a peak…"
https://css-tricks.com/putting-the-flexbox-albatross-to-real-use/

HTML, CSS and our Vanishing Industry Entry Points
By Rachel Andrew.
"Everyone is angry about CSS again. I'm not even going to try to
summarize the arguments. However it always seems to boil down to the
fact that CSS is simultaneously too easy to bother with, yet so hard
it needs to be wrapped up in a ball of JavaScript in case it scares
the horses…"
https://rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2019/01/30/html-css-and-our-vanishing-industry-entry-points/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

User Test Content Before You Start Design
By Amy Grace Wells.
"…Adding this step can save time, money, and effort in every stage of
the design process by informing wireframes and design, providing
strong guidelines for writers, and helping to settle debates with
stakeholders…"
https://www.uxbooth.com/articles/user-test-content-before-you-start-design/

What Motivates People to Take Free Surveys?
By Jeff Sauro.
"…To better understand the reasons people take unpaid surveys and to
see whether their attitudes were more systemically positive or
negative, we conducted our own research across two online studies…"
https://measuringu.com/free-surveys/

How to Assess the Quality of a Measure
By Jeff Sauro.
"It seems like each year introduces a new measure or questionnaire…"
https://measuringu.com/measure-quality/

Interpreting Contradictory UX Research Findings
By Kate Moran.
"If your product looks good from one perspective and bad from another,
you have to check the methodology and try to interpret the findings."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/interpreting-research-findings/

+04: EVENTS.

Digital Accessibility Support - A Guide to Trustworthy Free Online Resources
February 5, 2019.
Online.
https://www.paciellogroup.com/events/2019/01/webinar-february-5-digital-accessibility-support-a-guide-to-trustworthy-free-online-resources/

Moving Forward with Digital Accessibility in Higher Education
February 22, 2019.
Sussex, England, United Kingdom
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/tel/seminar/digitalaccessibility

Information Architecture Conference (IAC)
March 12-17, 2019.
Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
http://www.theiaconference.com/

Axe-Hackathon 2019
March 16, 2019.
Anaheim, Califorina, U.S.A.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/axe-hackathon-2019-tickets-54988465982

Midwest Drupal Camp
March 20-23, 2019.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.midcamp.org/

Web Accessibility Techniques for ReactJS and AngularJS
March 28, 2019.
Online
https://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=558

London UX Conference
March 30-April 5, 2019.
London, England, United Kingdom
https://www.nngroup.com/training/london/

+05: HTML.

HTML is and Always was a Compilation Target - Can We Deal With That?
By Christian Heilmann.
"…We need to help with the template code source, the framework
renderers. We need to ensure that the conversion stage results in good
HTML - not easy HTML. And we need to work with tool developers to make
sure that people learn about the value of semantics…"
https://christianheilmann.com/2019/01/28/html-is-and-always-was-a-compilation-target-can-we-deal-with-that/

Designing for the Web Ought to Mean Making HTML and CSS
By David Heinemeier Hansson (DHH).
"…Designing for the modern web in a way that pleases users with great,
fast designs needn't be this maze of impenetrable complexity. We're
making it that! It's possible not to."
https://m.signalvnoise.com/designing-for-the-web-ought-to-mean-making-html-and-css/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

a11y and JS - A Seemingly Unconventional Romance
By Lindsey Kopacz.
"… I want you to know that JavaScript isn't the enemy of
accessibility. Instead, lack of empathy is. With some empathy and your
awesome JavaScript skills, you CAN make your sites accessible!"
https://www.a11ywithlindsey.com/blog/a11y-js-seemingly-unconventional-romance/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

WebExtensions v3 Considered Harmful
By Daniel Glazman.
"The Open Web Platform is alive and vibrant. The Browser Extension
ecosystem is in jail, subject to unpredictable harmful changes decided
by one single actor. This must change, it's not viable any more…"
http://www.glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?post/2019/01/23/WebExtensions-v3-considered-harmful

The Great Divide
By Chris Coyier.
"Two front-end developers are sitting at a bar. They have nothing to
talk about…"
https://css-tricks.com/the-great-divide/

Openness and Longevity
By Garrett Dimon.
"…The web is the quintessential definition of together. Web standards
evolve slowly because they're collaborative. They last because they're
scrutinized. New front-end frameworks and technologies try to
circumvent or route around that process in the name of moving faster.
Sometimes, they surface great ideas that make their way into browsers.
But more often than not, they fade away."
https://garrettdimon.com/2019/openness-and-longevity/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Underlines Are Beautiful
By Adrian Roselli.
"Underlines, the standard, built-in signifier of hyperlinks, the core
feature of the web, are beautiful…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/01/underlines-are-beautiful.html

Added Underlines to Links in Toots (Pull Request)
By Adrian Roselli.
"Link text color is #f1ebff, surrounding text is #ffffff. They have a
contrast ratio of 1.2:1. Not only is hard to see links that are so
close in color to the text, they also require a pointing device
(mouse) to quickly scan for links. Instead of having to meet a 4.5:1
contrast ratio, adding the underline will allow this to pass a WCAG
check…"
https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon/pull/9898

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Table Design Patterns On The Web
By Chen Hui Jing.
"Tables are a design pattern for displaying large amounts of data in
rows and columns, and have not yet seemed to fall out of favor, so
let's take a look at how we can create tables on the web in 2019…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/01/table-design-patterns-web/

+10: USABILITY.

Tooltip Guidelines
By Alita Joyce.
"Tooltips are user-triggered messages that provide additional
information about a page element or feature. Although tooltips aren't
new to the web, they are often incorrectly implemented."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/tooltip-guidelines/

Web Page Usability Matters
By Addy Osmani.
"Users appreciate pages being usable and interactive soon after
they're visually ready. UI interactions (scrolls, taps, clicks) can be
delayed by script and other browser work so minimizing their impact
can really help your users."
https://dev.to/addyosmani/web-page-usability-matters-3aok

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson