Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 12, September 14, 2018.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 12, September 14, 2018.

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Sep 14, 2018, 7:39 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 12, September 14, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 12 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: COLOR.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: JAVASCRIPT.
09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Web Accessibility: How Can You Get Started? (Video)
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"Web accessibility. Lots of people are talking about it. But what is
it? And how do you get started?…"
https://www.lireo.com/web-accessibility-how-can-you-get-started-video/

Audio Descriptions - At a Glance (Video)
By Microsoft.
"This video is an introduction to audio descriptions and explains what
they are, why they matter to people who are blind, and what are some
best practices for including them in videos."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89reMUP1Jk

Describing aria-describedby
By Scott O'Hara.
"A well-designed user interface (UI) should clearly identify important
content and controls. Often people correlate this to using prominent
visual cues to help guide individuals through a task or point them to
necessary information. However, what may be visually apparent to some
could be misunderstood or completely passed over by others…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/09/describing-aria-describedby/

WCAG 2.1 Adoption in Europe
By Shadi Abou-Zahra.
"Last week the three official European Standards Organizations (ESOs),
CEN, CENELEC, and ETSI, published an updated version of EN 301 549
'Accessibility requirements for ICT products and services'. The most
significant change in this version is adoption of the W3C 'Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1″ for web content, electronic
documents, and non-web software, such as native mobile applications…"
https://www.w3.org/blog/2018/09/wcag-2-1-adoption-in-europe/

Mobile Accessibility at W3C
By Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI).
"Mobile accessibility is covered in existing W3C WAI accessibility
standards/guidelines. There are not separate guidelines for mobile
accessibility…"
https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/mobile/

PDF Validator-The Free Tool You Need to Start Using Today
By David Herr.
"…CommonLook's free PDF Validator is the most functionally rich PDF
testing tool available. It's the perfect tool for testing and
validating documents against the leading accessibility standards…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/pdf-validator-the-free-tool-you-need-to-start-using-today/

We Build Stores With Disabilities In Mind. Why Not Websites?
By Ben Crudo.
"Users with hearing impairment, vision loss and dyslexia deserve the
same access as everyone else…"
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ben-crudo/website-design-for-disabilities_a_23518259/

WCAG 1.0 to be Marked Superseded
By Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI).
"Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 1.0 is the first version
of the guidelines finalized in 1999. We plan to mark WCAG 1.0
'superseded' by the end of this year…"
https://www.w3.org/WAI/news/2018-08-30/WCAG-10-Superseded/

Lawsuit Says Purple's Website Discriminates to Visually Impaired
By Noddy A. Fernandez.
"Purple Innovation is accused of violating the Americans with
Disabilities Act for allegedly failing to have a website that can be
accessed by visually impaired users…"
https://pennrecord.com/stories/511512393-lawsuit-says-purple-s-website-discriminates-to-visually-impaired

Senators Write DOJ Sharing CUNA Concerns Over ADA, Websites
By CUNA.
"Six Senators wrote to Attorney General Jeff Sessions Wednesday with
concerns shared by CUNA over how the Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA) applies to websites…"
http://news.cuna.org/articles/114799-senators-write-doj-sharing-cuna-concerns-over-ada-websites

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Customise Radio Buttons Without Compromising Accessibility
By Chen Hui Jing.
"…we're going to cover the different methods of hiding input elements,
their effects on accessibility and how to ensure they remain navigable
via keyboard after being styled. There will also be a small bonus
section on layout, because after making our radio buttons pretty, we
want them to go into the right place…"
https://www.chenhuijing.com/blog/customise-radios-without-compromising-accessibility/

Changes on CSS Grid Layout in Percentages and Indefinite Height
By Manuel Rego Casasnovas.
"A s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶ long story on how percentage work on CSS in general and
in CSS Grid Layout row tracks and gutters particularly…"
https://blogs.igalia.com/mrego/2018/08/10/changes-on-css-grid-layout-in-percentages-and-indefinite-height/

CSS Architecture: Block-Element-Modifier (BEM) and Atomic CSS
By Tiffany Brown.
"In this article, we'll look at two methodologies for naming things in
CSS. Both methods were created to improve the development process for
large sites and large teams; however, they work just as well for teams
of one. Whether you choose one or the other, neither, or a mix of both
is up to you. The point of introducing them is to help you to think
through approaches for writing your own CSS.
Block-Element-Modifier (BEM)…"
https://www.sitepoint.com/css-architecture-block-element-modifier-bem-atomic-css/

+03: COLOR.

Understanding SC 1.4.1 Use of Color
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"This success criterion requires that color should not be the sole
method of conveying information to the users…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-4-1-use-of-color/

Designing UI with Color Blind Users in Mind
Rich Staats
By Rich Staats.
"…in this article, we'll share some tips on how you can improve your
site's accessibility and the experience it delivers for color blind
people…"
https://www.secretstache.com/blog/designing-for-color-blind-users/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Importance Of Manual Accessibility Testing
By Eric Bailey.
"Automated accessibility tests are a great resource to have, but they
can't automatically make your site accessible. Use them as one step of
a larger testing process…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/09/importance-manual-accessibility-testing/

UX Copywriting: 3 Copy Testing Methods That Beat A/B Testing + QUIZ
By Tímea Falmann.
"UX copywriting and user testing? It might sound like a new match in
the UX design world. But you don't have to start from scratch when it
comes to testing content and microcopy. We, at UX studio, collected
three methods that provide more insights than general AB testing. We
also gathered some tips from around the web to help you implement
testing UX copy into your user experience research processes like a
pro…"
https://uxstudioteam.com/ux-blog/ux-copywriting/

When It Comes To Personas, The Real Value Is In The Scenarios
By Jared M. Spool.
"…Too many times, what the team required for their personas was far
less than what they created. Had they put the resources into creating
great scenarios, the effort would have played a bigger role in a
better-designed product…"
https://articles.uie.com/when-it-comes-to-personas-the-real-value-is-in-the-scenarios/

How Harmful Is the Net Promoter Score?
By Jeff Sauro.
"The Net Promoter Score (NPS) is widely used. But it's not necessarily
widely loved…"
https://measuringu.com/nps-harmful/

+05: EVENTS.

#UDLHE Inaugural Chat
September 20, 2018.
Online.
https://www.smore.com/vw7zk-udlhe-higher-ed-inaugural-chat

WCAG 2.1 Jumpstart
September 20, October 16, and December 4, 2018.
Online
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag-21-jump-start-webinar-tickets-49561539900

DrupalCorn Camp
September 27-30, 2018.
Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.A.
https://2018.drupalcorn.org/

UX Conference New York City
October 20-26, 2018.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/new-york-city/

W3C Developer Meetup
October 22, 2018.
Lyon, France.
https://www.w3.org/2018/10/Meetup/

SmashingConf New York
October 23-24, 2018.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://smashingconf.com/ny-2018

Disability Rights Advocates 25th Anniversary Gala
October 25, 2018.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://dralegal.org/dras-25th-anniversary-gala/

Boston Accessibility
October 27, 2018.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
http://a11y-bos.org/about-a11ybos-2018/

UX Conference London
November 3-9, 2018.
London, England, United Kingdom
https://www.nngroup.com/training/london/

+06: HTML.

Chrome's NOSCRIPT Intervention
By Tim Kadlec.
"Long story short, the NOSCRIPT intervention looks like a really great
feature for users. More often than not it provides significant
reduction in data usage, not to mention the reduction in CPU time-no
small thing for the many, many people running affordable, low-powered
devices."
https://timkadlec.com/remembers/2018-09-06-chromes-noscript-intervention/

Google AMP Can Go To Hell
By Polemic.
"Google wants websites to adopt AMP as the default approach to
building webpages. Tell them no…"
https://www.polemicdigital.com/google-amp-go-to-hell/

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Open vs. Closed Card Sorting (Video)
By Kathryn Whitenton.
"There are two types of card sorting, which measure different aspects
of users' mental models for information architecture."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tNPT6X9Lhc

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

The 'Developer Experience' Bait-and-Switch
By Alex Russell.
"we cannot continue to use as much JavaScript as is now 'normal' and
expect the web to flourish. At the same time, most developers
experience no constraint on their use of JS…until it's too late. 'JS
neutral' and 'TTI negative' tools are here, but we're stuck in a
rhetorical rut. We need to reset our conversation about 'developer
experience' to factor in the asymmetric cost of JS…"
https://infrequently.org/2018/09/the-developer-experience-bait-and-switch/

aria-rowcount (property)
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"…Developers must set the value of aria-rowcount to an integer equal
to the number of rows in the full table. In case the total number of
rows is unknown, authors must set the value of aria-rowcount to -1 to
indicate that the value should not be calculated by the user agent…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/09/aria-rowcount-property/

+09: USABILITY.

Signal-to-Noise Ratio
By Xinyi Chen.
"Relevant information is 'signal,' while irrelevant information is
'noise'. A high signal-to-noise ratio is a key outcome for any UX
professional's work, in terms of both content and page design."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/signal-noise-ratio/

Decorative Images: Delightful or Dreadful? (Video)
By Katie Sherwin.
"Images are content, and different types of images serve different
purposes. Decorative images have a role in establishing tone and
emotional appeal, but they must not interfere with a user's ability to
accomplish a task…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3m9kpK0rok

Robustness and Least Power
By Jeremy Keith.
"…Even though the robustness principle was formulated for
packet-switching, I see it at work in all sorts of disciplines,
including design…"
https://adactio.com/journal/14327

Disruptive Interfaces & The Emerging Battle To Be The Default
By Scott Belsky.
"A new battle is brewing to be the default of every choice we make…"
https://medium.com/positiveslope/disruptive-interfaces-the-emerging-battle-to-be-the-default-23a6485a6f29

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]

Preview YouTube video Open vs. Closed Card Sorting

Preview YouTube video Decorative Images: Delightful or Dreadful?

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...