Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 06, August 2, 2018.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.   - Volume 17, Issue 06, August 2, 2018.

 An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 06 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: COLOR.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: JAVASCRIPT.
09: MISCELLANEOUS.
10: NAVIGATION.
11: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
12: TOOLS.
13: USABILITY.
14: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Intopia Launches WCAG 2.1 Map
By Ricky Onsman.
"Intopia launched a brand new visual map of WCAG 2.1,
including the new Success Criteria published just last month.
It's downloadable in digital format as a PDF, which makes it
ideal for printing to hard copy…"
http://intopia.digital/articles/intopia-launches-wcag-2-1-map/

WebAIM's WCAG 2 Checklist
By WebAIM.
"The following is NOT the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
(WCAG) 2. It is a checklist that presents our recommendations for
implementing accessibility principles and techniques for those
seeking WCAG conformance. The language used here significantly
simplifies and condenses the official WCAG 2.1 specification and
supporting materials to make it easier to implement and verify
for web pages…"
https://webaim.org/standards/wcag/checklist

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 1.4.10 Reflow
By Becky Gibson.
"Our series on the new WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria continues with
the new level AA criteria aimed at low vision…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-1410Reflow/

WCAG 2.1 Principles Explained: Robustness
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"With only two success criteria, robustness is the shortest of the four
 WCAG 2.0 principles.WCAG 2.1 includes an additional third criterion…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/wcag-2.1-principles-explained-robustness

4.1.3: Status Messages-New SC in the WCAG 2.1
By Suman Damera.
"…The intent of this Success Criterion is to make users aware of important
changes in content that are not given focus, and to do so in a way that
doesn't unnecessarily interrupt their work…"
http://www.sumandamera.com/4-1-3-status-messages-new-sc-in-the-wcag-2-1/

Understanding SC 1.4.3 - Contrast Minimum
By Sathish Kumar.
"This success criterion requires that the texts and image of texts that are
regular in size meet the color contrast ratio of 4.5:1 against their
 background color…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-4-3-contrast-minimum/

10 Ways to Improve Accessibility on Websites and Social Media
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"When I chatted about accessibility with other attendees at WordCamp
 Denver 2018 this weekend, I shared some of my tips and blog posts on
how they could improve accessibility on their websites…"
https://www.lireo.com/10-ways-to-improve-accessibility-on-websites-and-social-media/

Get Started with Accessibility: A Primer Based on Experience
By Susan Jean Robertson.
"…If you do even a little bit of the following, you're doing more than most…"
https://www.susanjeanrobertson.com/writing/get-started-with-accessibility/

Someclusion
By Karl Groves.
"New word: someclusion, for when so-called inclusion efforts leave out
PWDs or even a subset of PWDs…"
https://twitter.com/karlgroves/status/1022865966068391937

Asking about Compliance? You May be Asking the Wrong Question
By Lainey Feingold.
"…Someone asked Lainey whether video captions could be 65% accurate.
A poorly captioned video does not provide equal access. It is not effective
to communicate what people are saying to deaf people. It's better to ask
different questions…"
http://www.lflegal.com/2018/07/ada-28/

Dennis Haynes versus Dunkin' Donuts (PDF)
By US Court of Appeals for 11th Circuit.
"…Haynes sued Dunkin' Donuts, LLC, claiming that
it violated Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act…by not maintaining
a website compatible with screen reading software…Haynes has alleged a
plausible claim for relief under the ADA…"
http://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/unpub/files/201810373.pdf

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

How Do We Keep Up? What Happens if CSS Grid Changes? (Video)
By Jen Simmons.
"…Jen talks about the struggles to keep up and why it is, indeed, a safe time
to invest effort into learning CSS Grid…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCDWzV9wzW4

The Peculiar Magic of Flexbox and Auto Margins
By Robin Rendle.
"…One topic like this (which is an area I've sort of always known about but
never really understood) is how auto margins and flexbox interact with one another…"
https://css-tricks.com/the-peculiar-magic-of-flexbox-and-auto-margins/

Solved with CSS! Logical Styling Based on the Number of Given Elements
By Una Kravets.
"This post is the third in a series about the power of CSS…"
https://css-tricks.com/solved-with-css-logical-styling-based-on-the-number-of-given-elements/

+03: COLOR.

Supporting Users Who Change Colours on GOV.UK
By Nick Colley.
"…I've picked out a few examples below to demonstrate
some of the improvements that have been made…"
https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2018/08/01/supporting-users-who-change-colours-on-gov-uk/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

When to Use Which UX Research Method (Video)
By Kara Pernice.
"Don't just do usability tests. Do what you need. Consider five criteria
 to help you determine the most effective UX research method to use for
 your situation, to meet research goals, and achieve desired outcomes/"
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/when-use-which-ux-research-method/

+05: EVENTS.

Document Accessibility Course
Starts August 6, 2018.
Online.
https://webaim.org/training/docs/

Testing for Accessibility on the Web
August 7, 2018.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/253076818/
Live Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tW_adH-d0I
Live Captions: http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=CDA

Applying Behavioral Economics Principles to UX Design
August 9, 2018.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://uxpamn.org/event-2927686

Web Accessibility Training
September 11-12, 2018.
Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
https://webaim.org/training/

Wonder Women Tech's 3rd Annual Long Beach National Conference
October 5-6, 2018.
Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
https://wonderwomentech.com/

JS Interactive
October 10-12, 2018.
Vancouver, Canada
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/js-interactive-2018/

ASSETS
October 22-24, 2018.
Galway, Ireland
http://assets18.sigaccess.org/

+06: HTML.

HTML/Usage/Headings/h1only
By Steve Faulkner.
"Using only h1 elements in a HTML document results in a flat document
 outline as heading element semantics are conveyed to users as per the
 numeric in the heading element tag name…"
https://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Usage/Headings/h1only

HTML5 Draggable Attribute
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"The HTML5 draggable attribute specifies if the element can be picked
for dragging. Links and images are draggable by default…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/07/html5-draggable-attribute/

Sometimes 'sizes' is Quite Important
By Chris Coyier.
"…The entire job of the sizes attribute is to tell the browser what size
the image will be shown at, as per our CSS…"
https://css-tricks.com/sometimes-sizes-is-quite-important/

Short Note on the Accessibility of Styled Form Controls
By Scott O'Hara.
"Sticking with a native form control will almost always give your users
a more accessible experience than trying to recreate one from scratch.
 Though the issue with native form controls is that they have an infamous
 reputation for being problematic to style…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/07/short-note-on-the-accessibility-of-styled-form-controls/

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Customer-Service Information on Websites: The Hub-and-Spoke Model
By Kim Flaherty.
"…we propose the following model for the delivery of customer-service
information on ecommerce websites…"
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/customer-service-model/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

WAI-ARIA Authoring Practices 1.1
Matt King. James Nurthen. Michiel Bijl, Michael Cooper,
and Joseph Scheuhammer Editors.
"This document provides readers with an understanding of how to use
 WAI-ARIA 1.1 [WAI-ARIA] to create accessible rich internet applications. …"
https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/

ARIA Role Categories
By Russ Weakley.
"…The chart below shows all WAI ARIA roles including notes on when they
changed category, or where newly introduced…"
https://russmaxdesign.github.io/aria-roles/

Short Note on ARIA Support
By Léonie Watson.
"It is easy to get the idea that ARIA fixes everything for accessibility,
but the reality is that ARIA serves a very specific purpose, for a very
specific audience…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/07/short-note-on-aria-support/

Accessibility
By React.
"React fully supports building accessible websites, often by using
standard HTML techniques…"
https://reactjs.org/docs/accessibility.html

JavaScript: More Puppy Love, Less Fatigue
By Christian Heilmann.
"JavaScript is everywhere and it is the hottest thing to have on your CV. For now.…"
https://christianheilmann.com/2018/07/30/javascript-more-puppy-love-less-fatigue/

+09: MISCELLANEOUS.

abc to SVG
By Chris Coyier.
"Here's a little example that Jeremy Keith used to use in his talks.
 It's stuck with me as one of the coolest examples of progressive
 enhancement and Technology Being Cool around…"
https://css-tricks.com/abc-to-svg/

+10: NAVIGATION.

Shortish Note on JAWS Support for Regions
By Steve Faulkner.
"The JAWS screen reader has fairly recently changed the way it supports
 the announcement of ARIA landmark roles and HTML5 elements
that map to landmark roles…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/07/shortish-note-on-jaws-support-for-regions/

+11: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

Why are Web Standards So Slow?
By Bruce Lawson.
"…that's why web standards are so slow, and so powerful -
they're made in the open, for everybody."
https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2018/why-are-web-standards-so-slow/

+12: TOOLS.

3 Simple Design Bookmarklets
By Thomas Park.
"…Grayscale to gauge contrast between light and dark, rather than by colors…
Blurry to examine the composition of colors…Upside-down to get a fresh
perspective on composition and balance…" Try using the Gray one to check
for instances of color alone.
https://thomaspark.co/project/designbookmarklets/

Bookmarklet for Highlighting Images that Lack alt Attributes
By Ted Drake.
"The following bookmarklet will highlight images lacking alt attributes
by turning them grey…"
http://www.last-child.com/bookmarklet-images-lack-alt/

+13: USABILITY.

Toggle-Switch Guidelines
By Alita Kendrick.
"Toggle switches are digital on/off switches. They prompt users to choose
between two mutually exclusive options and always have a default value.
Toggles should provide immediate results, giving users the freedom to
control their preferences as needed."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/toggle-switch-guidelines/

15 Mobile UX Facts & Insights (2018)
By Jeff Sauro.
"…This is an updated article to the 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2013 articles
based on published data and our own mobile UX research…"
https://measuringu.com/mobile-2018/

+14: XML.

The World Wide Success That is XML
By Liam Quin.
"…There's lots of opportunities to explore in making good, sensible use of XML
technologies. XML is everywhere. Thank you to all who have contributed."
https://www.w3.org/blog/2018/07/the-world-wide-success-that-is-xml/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information
on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform
to the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier.
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Preview YouTube video Testing for Accessibility on the Web

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...