Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 05, July 26, 2018.

David Dillard

*

*

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 8:15 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 05, July 26, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 05 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVENTS.
04: HTML.
05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: NAVIGATION.
08: TOOLS.
09: USABILITY.
10: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Invitation: Contribute Ideas to Silver
By Jeanne F Spellman.
"Do you have ideas of how to improve W3C accessibility standards?…"
https://www.w3.org/community/silver/2018/07/19/invitation-contribute-ideas-to-silver/

On Designing and Building Toggle Switches
By Sara Soueidan.
"…One of the demos I'm creating is a basic proof of concept for
a simple switch that is used to switch the theme of a UI from light
to dark and vice versa…"
https://www.sarasoueidan.com/blog/toggle-switch-design/

What Is Inclusive Design - and What It Isn't
By Kat Holmes.
"…accessibility is an attribute, whereas inclusive design is a method.
While practicing inclusive design should make a product more accessible,
it's not a process for meeting all accessibility standards…"
https://mismatch.design/stories/2018/6/27/what-is-inclusive-design-what-isnt

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 1.3.4 Orientation
By Becky Gibson.
"…This is the 6th post in our series on the new WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-134Orientation/

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 (Video)
By Nicolas Steenhout, Eric Eggert, Tobias Nyholm, Glenda Sims,
and Sandra Eriksson.
"New accessibility guidelines are coming down the pipe that will
impact our apps with the new WCAG 2.1. We chat about what the
guidelines are and how we can start preparing our apps for them."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZ1625rnyg

WCAG 2.1 Principles Explained: Operability
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"The release WCAG 2.1 has added some new guidelines that directly
relate to the Operability Principle. Developers should be aware of the
 following changes related to operability…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/wcag-2.1-principles-explained-operability

Making Emoticons Accessible and Screen Reader Friendly
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Making Emoticons accessible is something often ignored
while exchanging information on the web…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2018/07/making-emoticons-accessible-and-screen-reader-friendly/

Implementing Recommendations from Web Accessibility Guidelines:
Would they also Provide Benefits to Nondisabled Users (PDF)
By Schmutz, Sonderegger, Sauer.
"…To achieve this, high conformance (i.e., level-AA) to current guidelines (i.e., WCAG 2.0) is necessary…"
https://www.unifr.ch/psycho/assets/files/KogErg/SchmutzSondereggerSauer2016.pdf

Common Accessibility Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
By Ben Robertson.
"This weekend I had the privilege to present a session at DrupalCamp Asheville…"
https://benrobertson.io/accessibility/common-accessibility-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them

Web Accessibility Isn't a One-and-Done Task
By Riia O'Donnell.
"Website accessibility is not a "one and done" task, a law firm is warning
businesses after an 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling against Hooters…"
https://www.hrdive.com/news/web-accessibility-isnt-a-one-and-done-task/528089/

19 State AGs Write Sessions Sharing CUNA's ADA Concerns
By Credit Union National Association.
"Attorneys General from nineteen states have written Attorney General Jeff Sessions
calling for clarity about how the Americans With Disabilities Act applies to websites…"
http://news.cuna.org/articles/114611-state-ags-write-sessions-sharing-cunas-ada-concerns

Most Business Websites are Sitting Ducks for ADA Suits, Experts Say
By Ron Hurtibise.
"Business owners who think that building a wheelchair ramp
and grab bars in the restroom will ward off South Florida's
accessibility testers and their lawsuits need to fire up their computers,
go to their websites and ask: 'What's missing?…'"
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-website-accessibility-status-report-20180719-story.html

For the First Time, Norwegian IT Authorities Provide Daily Fines
for Poorly Designed Websites
By NRK.
"…If the municipality does not correct the errors by Friday 6 July,
they will receive 10,000 kroner daily fines until the errors are corrected…"
https://www.nrk.no/hordaland/kommunen-har-sa-darlige-nettsider-at-de-far-bot-1.14105543

Explanation of Terms of of the NFB's Agreement With Greyhound (PDF)
By National Federation of the Blind (NFB).
"Under the agreement, Greyhound will ensure that Greyhound.com
and the mobile apps allow  Blind persons to gain the same information
and engage in the same transactions with an ease of  use substantially
equivalent to that of a sighted person using the same browser or operating
system without screen reader software. Conformance with WCAG 2.0, Level AA…"
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/legal_program/settlements/addendum_c_to_greyhound_agreement.pdf

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Fractional
By Ethan Marcotte.
"In fairly short order, the fr unit has become one of my favorite parts of the CSS Grid specification.…"
https://ethanmarcotte.com/wrote/fractional/

+03: EVENTS.

Lean A11y: Building Accessibility into Your Agile Lifecycle
July 31, 2018.
Online
https://www.levelaccess.com/resources/agile-lifecycle/

Empathy Driven Development
August 9, 2018.
Online
https://accessibility.deque.com/empathy-driven-development

Digital Accessibility: Enabling Participation in the Information Society
October 8, 2018. (5 Week course)
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/digital-accessibility/4

HighEdWeb 2018
October 21-24, 2018.
Sacramento, California, U.S.A.
https://2018.highedweb.org/

W3C Technical Plenary / Advisory Committee (TPAC)
October 22-26, 2018.
Lyon, France
https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/

Madison PHP Conference
November 2, 2018
Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
https://madisonphpconference.com/

Accessibility Club Conference
November 5, 2018.
Berlin, Germany
https://accessibility-club.org/

+04: HTML.

Everything You Need to Know About HTML5 Video Captioning
By Sofia Enamorado.
"With HTML5, video captioning is a whole lot easier…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2018/07/23/html5-video-how-captioning-works/

Inside Out
By Stuart Langridge.
"Recently the question of whether browsers should have a View Source
 function has reared its head again…perhaps View Source is a Muggle
tool and we avout shouldn't use it, but that doesn't mean we should take it away."
https://kryogenix.org/days/2018/07/23/inside-out/

+05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Living in Information: Structure
By Jorge Arango.
"…This is an abridged excerpt from chapter seven of Living in Information:
Responsible Design for Digital Places…The key to understanding structure
is recognizing that we perceive things as being composed of interrelated
elements: parts that make a whole…"
http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/living-in-information-structure/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Firefox 63 Will Cut Subtrees Marked With aria-hidden
By Marco Zehe.
"Starting in Firefox 63, sections of a web document marked
with aria-hidden="true" will have their sub trees completely
removed from the accessibility tree…"
https://www.marcozehe.de/2018/07/24/firefox-63-will-cut-subtrees-marked-with-aria-hidden/

+07: NAVIGATION.

8 Secrets of the Perfect Link
By Ben Moss.
"The perfect link is simple, honest, and usable. Here's how to design it…"
https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2018/07/8-secrets-of-the-perfect-link/

Designing Accessible Navigations
By Nicholas Kramer.
"Overlooked features with powerful results…"
https://uxplanet.org/designing-accessible-navigations-3b1a151d3bd7

+08: TOOLS.

Comparing 3 Top Automated Accessibility Testing Tools:
WAVE, Tenon.io, and Google Lighthouse
By Laura Johnson.
"Automated tools for testing accessibility have evolved to a point
where you don't have to look hard to find dozens of examples
of thorough and reliable tools that test for adherence
to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines…"
https://medium.com/myplanet-musings/comparing-3-top-automated-accessibility-testing-tools-wave-tenon-io-and-google-lighthouse-d3897d7bb311

+09: USABILITY.

Checkboxes vs. Switches in Forms (Video)
By Rachel Krause.
"Navigating whether to use checkboxes or switches can help make
your forms easier to use. This video covers guidelines of when to use each."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/checkboxes-vs-switches-forms/

Design Patterns For Complex Apps and Workflows (Video)
By Page Laubheimer.
"Two design principles for supporting complex and repetitive workflows."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/complex-apps-workflows/

Intelligent Assistants Have Poor Usability:
A User Study of Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri
By Raluca Budiu and Page Laubheimer.
"Usability testing finds that both voice-only and screen-based intelligent
assistants work well only for very limited, simple queries
 that have fairly simple, short answers. Users have difficulty with anything else."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/intelligent-assistant-usability/

The User Experience of Health Insurance Websites
By Jeff Sauro.
"…To understand the online experience of health insurance websites,
we benchmarked the desktop and mobile user experience
of six of the top health insurance websites…"
https://measuringu.com/ux-health-insurance/

+10: XML.

Accessible SVG Flowcharts
By Léonie Watson.
"The accessible SVG line graphs post explains how to use ARIA table semantics
to make that form of data visualisation accessible to screen readers.
This article uses the same ARIA based approach to make a screen reader
accessible SVG flowchart…"
https://tink.uk/accessible-svg-flowcharts/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription.
For information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers
we do our best to conform to the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier.
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson