+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 31, January 23, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 31, January 23, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 31 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVENTS.
04: HTML.
05: JAVASCRIPT.
06: MISCELLANEOUS.
07: NAVIGATION.
08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Exclusive Design
By Vasilis van Gemert.
"…if we want to create truly inclusive websites, expertise in
ourselves is not enough. We also need expertise in designing
interfaces for people who are excluded. This expertise is lacking…"
https://exclusive-design.vasilis.nl/

UX Foundations: Accessibility (Online Course)
By Microsoft Dev Collective.
"…In this course, you'll learn how accessibility lowers the barrier to
entry, by providing equal access and opportunity to people with a
diverse range of hearing, movement, sight, and cognitive abilities…"
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/collective/learning/courses/ux-foundations-accessibility

Meeting Web Accessibility Guidelines (Online Course)
By Microsoft Dev Collective.
"…you will get hands-on, practical code examples that you can start
using today towards your goal of meeting official accessibility
guidelines…"
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/collective/learning/courses/meeting-web-accessibility-guidelines

Why Gen Z Loves Closed Captioning
By Lance Ulanoff.
"…When the NCI first co-developed closed captioning technology some 50
years ago, they called it 'words worth watching,' and it did transform
millions of lives. Today, we may be witnessing - or reading - a
similar revolution."
https://medium.com/s/the-upgrade/why-gen-z-loves-closed-captioning-ec4e44b8d02f

Accessibility Reviews
By Adrian Roselli et al.
"A community-driven resource to both find and share information on the
accessibility of tools, services, platforms, and so on…"
https://a11y.reviews/
Accessibility Reviews on GitHub:
https://github.com/a11y-reviews

How to Remove Automatic Captions from Your YouTube Videos
By Sofia Enamorado.
"Once you've uploaded a video to YouTube, you'll notice that YouTube's
automatic captions are turned on. Even if you've uploaded your own
captions or created captions in YouTube's transcription interface,
automatic captions will still show up as an option on your video…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2019/01/18/remove-automatic-captions-youtube-videos/

1.4.11 Non-Text Contrast
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"1.4.11 Non-text contrast is similar to 1.4.3 Contrast minimum. People
with low vision will have tough time reading and understanding the
content that has poor contrast…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2019/01/1-4-11-non-text-contrast/

Domino's Pizza app Must be Accessible to Blind People
By BBC News.
"Domino's Pizza has been told its website and app must be made fully
accessible to blind people, after losing a legal case in the US…"
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46894463

Federal Appellate Courts Ring In the New Year by Taking Up Website and
Mobile Application Accessibility
By Shira M. Blank.
"…the best way to avoid falling prey to such a suit is to achieve
substantial conformance with WCAG 2.1 Levels A and AA (confirming such
status by human-based code and user/assistive-technology testing)…"
https://www.natlawreview.com/article/federal-appellate-courts-ring-new-year-taking-website-and-mobile-application

Blind N.Y. Resident Sues NU Over Website Accessibility
By Maria Lovato.
"…Jason Camacho filed a lawsuit against 50 universities across the
country, including Northeastern. He alleged that the colleges are
violating the Americans with Disabilities Act…"
https://huntnewsnu.com/56748/campus/nu-sued-over-website-accessibility-by-blind-n-y-resident/

Northeastern Complaint (PDF):
https://huntnewsnu.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Camacho-v.-Northeastern-1.pdf

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

The Flexbox Holy Albatross
By Heydon Pickering.
"…the solution struck me. And now I'm going to share it with you…"
http://www.heydonworks.com/article/the-flexbox-holy-albatross

+03: EVENTS.

Tackling a Huge Website with WCAG-EM
February 28, 2019.
Online
https://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=557

An Event Apart Seattle
March 4-6, 2019.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/seattle-2019

Web Accessibility Training
March 5-6, 2019.
Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
https://webaim.org/training/

South by Southwest Interactive
March 8-17, 2019.
Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
https://www.sxsw.com/interactive/

Accessibility Camp Bay Area
March 9, 2019.
San Francisco Califorina, U.S.A.
http://www.accessibilitycampbay.org/

ConveyUX
March 12-13, 2019.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://conveyux.com/conveyux-seattle/

ConFoo Montreal
March 13-15, 2019.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
https://confoo.ca/en/yul2019

+04: HTML.

How Do You Figure?
By Scott O'Hara.
"Introduced as part of HTML5, the figure and figcaption elements are
meant to create a meaningful markup structure that…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2019/01/21/how-do-you-figure.html

HTML5 Input Types: Where Are They Now?
By Drew McLellan.
"HTML5 introduced thirteen new types of form input, adding
significantly to the number of different fields web designers and
developers could add to our forms. These new types all require
browsers to support them, and take-up has been slower than some of us
would have liked. What is the state of those field types in 2019?
Which can we use, and which should still be avoided…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/01/html5-input-types/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

What is Tree Shaking and How Does It Work?
By Ire Aderinokun.
"When Javascript applications get to a certain size, it's helpful to
separate the code into modules. However, when we do so, we can end up
with code imported that isn't actually used. Tree shaking is a method
of optimising our code bundles by eliminating any code from the final
file that isn't actually being used…"
https://bitsofco.de/what-is-tree-shaking/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Design Thinking 101 (Video)
By Sarah Gibbons.
"What is 'design thinking' and why should you care? The 6 steps of the
process defined."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/design-thinking/

+07: NAVIGATION.

Designing for Friction and Flow in Customer Journeys (Video)
By Maria Rosala.
"Friction and Flow are two concepts in interaction design that assist
users in their tasks, whether this is to prevent errors or to
encourage completion. As designers, it's important to use both as and
when required in the user journey. This video explains when you might
need to consider adding friction into the user journey."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/friction-flow-customer-journeys/

+08: USABILITY.

What's Really Behind Most UX Issues
By Joe Natoli.
"what I've seen is that UX and design issues that are present in
software products - sites, apps, systems - come directly from
misalignment of individual intent. And there are three flavors of
this: personal, organizational and political."
https://www.sitepoint.com/whats-behind-most-ux-issues/

Building Better Forms™ by not Taking Away Affordances
By Bram(us) Van Damme.
"Don't fiddle too much with your forms' look and feel. A small
innocent-looking piece of CSS, even when combined with semantically
correct HTML, could leave you with a degraded UX and lesser
accessibility."
https://www.bram.us/2019/01/18/building-better-forms-by-not-taking-away-affordances/

The Dangers of Overpersonalization
By Kim Flaherty and Kate Moran.
"Too much personalization leads to homogeneous experiences for users
and can generate content fatigue and lack of diversity."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/overpersonalization/

What Parallax Lacks
By Katie Sherwin.
"Parallax-scrolling effects add visual interest, but they often create
usability issues, such as content that is slow to load or hard to
read. Consider if the benefits are worth the cost."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/parallax-usability/

Gamification in the User Experience (Video)
"Gamification is the usage of game mechanics in non-game contexts,
such as mainstream UX design. The most successful implementations of
gamification begin with a learner-centered mindset."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/gamification-user-experience/

The Web is a Pattern of Human Behavior
By Gerry McGovern.
"… Life on the Web is a mix of the fake and the real, just like life
has always been. And there are common patterns everywhere."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/2779-2/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson