+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 17, October 18, 2018.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 17, October 18, 2018.

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Oct 18, 2018, 8:42 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 17, October 18, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 17 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: BOOKS.
03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: TOOLS.
10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

WCAG 2.1 Is Here - What's In It For You?
By Jonathan Hassell.
"WCAG 2.1 has now been published. Many people are talking about what’s
in it. But the more important question is: what’s in it for you?…"
https://www.hassellinclusion.com/blog/wcag-2-1-whats-in-it-for-you/

1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"…ensure that an autocomplete attribute is specified wherever
appropriate and have a value that represents the label…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/10/1-3-5-identify-input-purpose/

Understanding SC 1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"This success criterion requires that content presented on the page
must be meaningful during navigation to all users…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-3-2-meaningful-sequence/

Designing for Cognitive Differences
By Brandon Gregory.
"Accessible design is often reduced to adding alt text and avoiding
colors imperceptible by colorblindness. While physical differences are
an important component of accessible design, cognitive differences are
often ignored entirely. Brandon Gregory considers three common
types-inattention, anxiety, and depression-and how they impact their
users, patterns that trigger those conditions, and how designers can
be more conscientious when design for them."
https://alistapart.com/article/designing-for-cognitive-differences

3 Simple Tips to Improve Keyboard Accessibility
By Lindsey Kopacz.
"I wanted to write a blog post about one of my favorite accessibility
topics - keyboard accessibility…"
https://www.a11ywithlindsey.com/blog/3-simple-tips-improve-keyboard-accessibility/

Be Better: Accessibility
By Ben Callahan.
"In this edition of the 'Be Better' newsletter series, Ben explores
how responsive web design is accessible web design…"
https://seesparkbox.com/foundry/website_accessibility_through_responsive_web_design

Transcripts: Third Time's a Charm
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"For anyone working directly with customers, you know many of the best
suggestions for improving your product or service come from customer
requests…"
https://www.lireo.com/transcripts-third-times-a-charm/

The No. 1 Thing You're Getting Wrong About Inclusive Design
By Kat Holmes.
"…An important distinction is that accessibility is an attribute,
while inclusive design is a method. While practicing inclusive design
should make a product more accessible, it's not a process for meeting
all accessibility standards…Universal design is one-size-fits-all.
Inclusive design is one-size-fits-one…"
https://www.fastcompany.com/90243282/the-no-1-thing-youre-getting-wrong-about-inclusive-design

Accessibility is Not What You Think
By Paul Boag.
"Accessibility is not just about meeting the needs of the disabled or
catering for edge cases. Accessibility impacts everybody…"
https://boagworld.com/accessibility/accessibility-is-not-what-you-think/

Inclusive Design 24 #ID24 (Videos)
The full October 2018 playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn7dsvRdQEfEnBxpVztmJ8KCKNJ_P-hR6

DIY Accessibility Brunch 'n' Learn: WCAG 2.1 (Video)
By Amy Drayer.
Amy's October 8 presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33pqYHq1I08

A11yTO
By Steve Faulkner.
Steve's #a11yTO Conference 2018 presentation.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1L9oyYPwqTIsxex5jf1WXwSPKMsM0m81_kEY_6djRsr8/edit?usp=sharing

Google Slides Automatically Captions Your Presentations
By Jon Fingas.
"…While it's unclear how accurate the system will be in practice
(YouTube's live captions aren't always on the mark), it should be a
vital tool for making presentations more accessible…"
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/08/google-slides-automatically-captions-your-presentations/

Winn-Dixie Urges Court to Reverse Landmark ADA Website Ruling
By Raychel Lean.
"Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. on Oct. 4 asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for
the Eleventh Circuit to reverse a key 2017 ruling involving the rights
of blind internet users, paving the way for a host of similar website
accessibility lawsuits…"
https://www.law.com/dailybusinessreview/2018/10/08/winn-dixie-urges-court-to-reverse-landmark-ada-website-ruling/

+02: BOOKS.

Holmes, Kat. Mismatch: How Inclusion Shapes Design. MIT Press, 2018.

Silver, Adam. Form Design Patterns. Smashing Magazine. 2018.

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Cracking A/B Testing in Your Product
By Sarthak Handa.
"Lessons from the journey of increasing in-app conversions by 1.6
times in 2.5 months using A/B testing for 'Travel Triangle' App…"
https://hackernoon.com/cracking-a-b-testing-in-your-product-e63b5897d359

A Deep Dive into Surveys: Open Ended Vs. Closed-Ended
By Chattermill.
"…When creating excellent online surveys, it's critical you make
proper use of both question types and know exactly when to use each
one across customer touchpoints and behaviors…"
https://usabilla.com/blog/a-deep-dive-into-surveys-open-ended-vs-closed-ended/

Predicting UX Metrics with the PURE Method
By Jeff Sauro.
"pure-featureThe PURE (Practical Usability Rating by Experts) method
is an analytic technique that identifies potential problems users may
encounter with an interface…"
https://measuringu.com/ux-metrics-pure/

A Very Informal Look at Gutenberg Accessibility
By Joni Halabi.
"…It appears the Gutenberg did think about some accessibility
features, but it is very clear that no complete accessibility testing
was performed. The points of frustration for me in this short
experiment where…"
https://thatdevgirl.com/blog/a-very-informal-look-at-gutenberg-accessibility

Building Fast and Reliable Web Applications
By Frank van Gemeren.
"Continuously testing trivago at scale…"
https://tech.trivago.com/2018/10/12/building-fast-and-reliable-web-applications/

+04: EVENTS.

Diving into Digital Accessibility: UX Design
October 24, 2018.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/255407802/
Online Live Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV24j43m5kA
Live Captions: http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=CDA

Applying Accessibility Heuristics to a Wireframe: Part 1
November 8, 2018.
Online
https://accessibility.deque.com/applying-accessibility-heuristics-to-a-wireframe

eAccessibility with David Berman
November 29, 2018.
Online
https://davidberman.com/2018-november-29-accessibility-course-online/

Government IT Symposium
December 4-6, 2018.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://www.mngts.org/itsym/

Accessible Learning Conference
East Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
December 6-7, 2018.
http://www.accessiblelearning.org/

PDF Techniques Accessibility Summit
December 10-11, 2018.
Edinburgh, Scotland
https://www.pdfa.org/event/pdf-techniques-accessibility-summit/

+05: HTML.

Why Don't We Add a <lovely> Element to HTML?
By Bruce Lawson.
"…HTML should add only elements that either expose functionality that
would be pretty much meaningless otherwise (e.g. <canvas>) or that
provide semantics that help repurpose for Web browsing uses…So what
can we do? Luckily, HTML already has a little-known element you can
use to wrap data to make it machine readable…"
https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2018/why-so-hard-to-add-new-html-elements/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

State of Accessibility in Dynamic Web Content (WebAIM Thread)
By Brandon Keith Biggs.
"With React and JSX widgets being adopted by so many companies, there
needs to be a concerted effort to make the new interfaces accessible
to screen readers…Currently there are no users…"
https://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread?thread=8963

Creating Accessible React Apps
By Scott Vinkle.
The following are my notes and links for my #a11yTOConf 2018
live-coding demo on 'Creating accessible React apps'…"
https://gist.github.com/svinkle/4adbfee72a203ff3bc39204de75d97d7

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

WordPress, Accessibility, and Gutenberg
By Joe Dolson.
"…If the time frame for the release of 5.0 is held to, it is almost a
guarantee that the first release of Gutenberg in WordPress will not be
accessible…"
https://www.joedolson.com/2018/10/wordpress-accessibility-and-gutenberg/

+08: TOOLS.

REVENGE.CSS.
By Heydon Pickering.
"Revenge.css is a CSS bookmarklet that reports bad html using pseudo
content. If the page you use it with has malformed links, deprecated
attributes, <div>s inside inline elements, inaccessible buttons, badly
nested sections or other errors, you'll see some ugly, pink errors
written in nobody's favourite font: Comic Sans…"
http://heydonworks.com/revenge_css_bookmarklet/

Contraste
"Contraste is a simple app for checking the accessibility of text
against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)…" (macOS)
https://contrasteapp.com/

+09: USABILITY.

Technology Myths and Urban Legends
By Kate Moran and Kim Flaherty.
"When users don't clearly understand how systems function, they
develop unique (and often incorrect) theories to explain their
experiences."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/technology-myths/

Natural Mappings and Stimulus-Response Compatibility in User Interface Design
By Katie Sherwin.
"Designs that quickly convey relationships between the user input and
the result often use natural mappings or have a high stimulus-response
compatibility."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/natural-mappings/

Why Chunking Content is Important (Video)
By  Kate Moran.
"Chunking makes content easier to comprehend and remember. Chunking
text help users understand the relationship between content elements
and information hierarchy."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/chunking/

Hard Costs of Third-Party Scripts
By Dave Rupert.
"I'm interested in the User Experience costs of third-party scripts…"
https://daverupert.com/2018/10/hard-costs-of-third-party-scripts/

MODALZ MODALZ MODALZ. We Use Too Many Damn Modals
By Adrian Egger.
"Modals are the crutch of the inarticulate designer and developer…"
https://modalzmodalzmodalz.com/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Attachments area
Preview YouTube video DIY Accessibility Brunch ‘n’ Learn: WCAG 2.1

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...