[webdev] Web Design Update: August 23, 2018

David Dillard

 [webdev] Web Design Update: August 23, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Aug 23, 2018, 7:20 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 09, August 23, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 09 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: TOOLS.
07: TYPOGRAPHY.
08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Multimedia Accessibility: I Hear What You See
By Aparna Pasi.
"If I ask one of my friends to watch a video closing his eyes and explain the info,
naturally, he/she would ask 'Are you out of mind'? I know it's weird to do so.
But every day people who are blind watch videos like that and it is not weird for them…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/multimedia-accessibility/

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 1.4.13 Content on Hover or Focus
By Becky Gibson.
"…1.4.13 Content on Hover or Focus is at level AA and primarily targets users with low vision.
People with cognitive disabilities and users with tremors or limited movement also benefit…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-1413ContentHoverFocus/

Your Website, Accessibility, and Why WCAG 2.1 Should Excite You
By Ed Neenan.
"…Without question, the new 2.1 guidelines are highly beneficial. At their core they set out to
significantly reduce accessibility issues across various impaired populations…"
https://www.saidigital.com/news-and-insights/your-website-accessibility-and-why-wcag-21-should-excite-you

The Easiest Way to Keep Your Web Apps Accessible: Just Use Text
By Jason Rodriguez.
"…By being more deliberate in our choices as developers, especially by favoring text and
thoughtful, semantic markup, we have the power to improve the lives of a lot of people.
So take some time to think about your applications and the techniques you use to build them…"
https://blog.logrocket.com/the-easiest-way-to-keep-your-web-apps-accessible-c2b57506cc2a

A Realistic Guide for Improving Web Accessibility
By Kristi Eaves-McLennan.
"Follow these five practical steps to make your institution's website more accessible…"
https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/call-action-marketing-and-communications-higher-education/realistic-guide-improving-web

What Is Transcription?
By Jaclyn Leduc.
"US adults spend 11 hours per day connected to media, and nearly 6 of those are spent
watching video…"
https://www.3playmedia.com/2018/08/17/what-is-transcription/

Challenges in Measuring Automatic Transcription Accuracy
By Jason Kincaid.
"…Ever wonder how Speech Recognition researchers evaluate the accuracy of their systems -
and why it's so tricky to test?…"
https://medium.com/descript/challenges-in-measuring-automatic-transcription-accuracy-f322bf5994f

Flowcharts & Concept Maps
By Penn State.
"A common type of technical diagram is a flowchart, concept map showing relationships between
different concepts. In many cases, the long description could be a list-based outline describing
different parts of the process…"
http://accessibility.psu.edu/images/flowcharts/

Dear PDF and PDF/UA Committee Members (PDF)
By Karen McCall.
"…As of the date of this letter, with PDF-2 published and PDF/UA 2 pending,
we've lost any ground that we had advanced in 2012 in the PDF file format…"
https://www.karlencommunications.com/adobe/PDF-ResignationLetterMcCallAugust2018.pdf

A Mid-Year Review of the Current State of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
By Joshua Briones and Nicole Ozeran.
"…mid-way through 2018 and nearly 685 federal ADA website accessibility lawsuits
have already been filed…"
https://www.bna.com/insight-midyear-review-n73014481764/

Apple Web Design Violates Law, Claims Blind Person
By Thomas Claburn.
"Incompatibility of apple.com with screen-readers said to harm the sight impaired…"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/21/apple_web_design_violates_law_claims_blind_person/

Apple Sued Over Claims Website is Inaccessible to Visually Impaired Users
By Malcolm Owen.
"Apple has become the target of a new lawsuit, one that claims the iPhone producer's
website is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by not being fully
accessible to blind or visually-impaired consumers, due to the way the website itself is
coded…It is also alleged the lack of compliance with WCAG 2.0 guidelines means
Apple has 'engaged in acts of intentional discrimination'…"
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/20/apple-sued-over-claims-website-is-inaccessible-to-visually-impaired-users

A New Class Action Lawsuit has been Filed Against Apple on Behalf of those that are
Legally Blind or Visually Impaired
By Jack Purcher.
"…Himelda Mendez filed a five count class action against Apple in the Southern District
of New York on behalf of herself and those that are legally blind or visually impaired.
The lawsuit was filed due to Apple's failure to design, construct, maintain, and operate
its website to be fully accessible to and independently usable…"
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2018/08/a-new-class-action-lawsuit-has-been-filed-against-apple-on-behalf-of-those-that-are-legally-blind-or-visually-impaired.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Easy and Responsive Modern CSS Grid Layout
By Ahmed Bouchefra.
"In this article, we'll show how to create a responsive modern CSS Grid layout,
demonstrating how to use fallback code for old browsers, how to add CSS Grid
progressively, and how to restructure the layout in small devices and center
elements using the alignment properties…"
https://www.sitepoint.com/easy-responsive-modern-css-grid-layout/

CSS Flow Layout
By Rachel Andrew.
"Normal Flow, or Flow Layout is the way that Block and Inline elements are
displayed on a page before any changes are made to their layout. The flow is
essentially a set of things that are all working together, and know about each
other in your layout. Once something is taken out of flow it works independently…"
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Flow_Layout

Practical CSS Scroll Snapping
By Max Kohler.
"CSS scroll snapping allows you to lock the viewport to certain elements
or locations after a user has finished scrolling…"
https://css-tricks.com/practical-css-scroll-snapping/

A Tale of Two Buttons
By James Nash.
"…I think embracing CSS's cascade can be a great way to encourage consistency
and simplicity in UIs. Rather than every new component being a free for all,
it trains both designers and developers to think in terms of aligning with and
re-using what they already have. Remember, every time you set a property in CSS
you are in fact overriding something (even if it's just the default user agent styles).
In other words, CSS code is mostly expressing exceptions to a default design…"
https://medium.com/buildit/a-tale-of-two-buttons-e63185aefd5f

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Practical Tips for Running a PURE Evaluation
By Jeff Sauro.
"In an earlier article, I described the PURE methodology. PURE stands
for Practical Usability Rating by Experts…"
https://measuringu.com/pure-tips/

+04: EVENTS.

Digging in to Inclusive Design with Derek Featherstone
August 28, 2018.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/253435305/
Live Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5Yh6vBNn8
Live Captions: http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=CDA

Including People with Disabilities in Design
August 30, 2018.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Tpi6f_7XRjuLOXUD-xQ2xA

Inclusive PDFs by Design
September 18, 2018.
Online
http://aem.cast.org/about/events/2018/09/inclusive-pdfs-by-design.html

Why Your Inaccessible Website Could Get You Sued & How To Prevent It
September 27, 2018.
Online
https://www.3playmedia.com/resources/webinars/webinar-registration-09-27-2018/

Accessibility Lawsuits, How to Handle Them; How to Avoid Them
October 1-2, 2018.
Washington, DC, U.S.A.
https://www.accessibility.legal/

ACCESS DC
October 2, 2018.
Washington, DC, U.S.A.
https://www.3playmedia.com/access-dc-2018/

Intro to Audio Description
October 4, 2018.
Online
https://www.3playmedia.com/resources/webinars/webinar-registration-10-04-2018/

Web Accessibility Testing Tools
October 9, 2018.
Online
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/08/maxability-webinar-october-2018-web-accessibility-testing-tools/

+05: HTML.

Getting to the Picture Element
By Jay Hoffmann.
"The story of how responsive images made its way into the browser doubles
as an inside look at the standards making process itself …"
https://thehistoryoftheweb.com/responsive-design-picture-element/

+06: TOOLS.

Accessibility Scanner App on Android
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Accessibility scanner is an accessibility testing tool available for Android devices…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2018/08/accessibility-scanner-app-on-android/

+07: TYPOGRAPHY.

Pixels vs Ems Commentary
By Alastair Campbell.
"An article from Evan Minto did the rounds on Medium a while ago: Pixels vs. Ems:
Users DO Change Font Size, and I posted a couple of comments  which I'd rather
didn't disappear so I'll summarise them here…"
https://alastairc.ac/2018/08/pixels-vs-ems-commentary/

Variable Fonts and Dyslexia
By Adrian Roselli.
"Dyslexia is not a black or white, on or off condition. Some with dyslexia report
different challenges than others, ranging from typefaces to page layout to other
factors…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2018/08/variable-fonts-and-dyslexia.html

+08: USABILITY.

Carousels on Mobile Devices
By Raluca Budiu.
"Carousels on touch screens are plagued by low discoverability and sequential
access, and not all designs implement swipe as a carousel control."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-carousels/

Prominence-Interpretation Theory
By Therese Fessenden.
"Prominence-interpretation theory helps determine what shapes users'
perceptions of a site's credibility."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/prominence-interpretation-theory/

How to Do User Research Within Constraints (Video)
By Rachel Krause.
"There will always be constraints that we have to work in, whether it's not having
enough time or not having dedicated researchers on our UX projects.
"This video offers tips on how to do user research without feeling stuck."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/user-research-within-constraints/

Beating Creative Blocks in UX Design Through Reframing (Video)
By Kate Moran.
"A method for getting unstuck from a design challenge. By reframing the problem,
you can find inspiration in unexpected places."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/beating-creative-blocks-reframing/

Why Redesigns Don't Make Users Happy
By Vitaly Dulenko.
"…Redesigns are changes and people don't like changes. People don't like them
for two reasons - changes require efforts to make and people don't know what to
expect from changes…"
https://uxplanet.org/why-redesigns-dont-make-users-happy-f1b29cc940ce

The Power of Three - How to Blend UX, Design and Content
By Lauren Ellis.
"…The Power of Three, however, includes a cross-discipline approach that combines
UX, design and content expertise. This way, each member of the team is bolstered by
the others' knowledge…"
https://www.nomensa.com/blog/2018/power-three-how-blend-ux-design-and-content

Complete Beginner's Guide to Interaction Design
By UX Booth.
"…This article serves as a good jumping off point for people interested in learning
more about Interaction Design. To that end, we'll briefly cover the history, guiding
principles, noteworthy contributors, and tools related to this fascinating discipline…"
http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/complete-beginners-guide-to-interaction-design/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription.
For information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the accessible
Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know if there is anything else
we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN guideline information please visit:
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson