[webdev] Web Design Update: August 16, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: August 16, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Aug 16, 2018, 6:35 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 08, August 16, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 08 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: DRUPAL.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: NAVIGATION.
10: TYPOGRAPHY.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Exploring WCAG 2.1 -  1.4.12 Text Spacing
By Becky Gibson.
"Our series on the new WCAG 2.1 Success Criteria continues
with another level AA criteria aimed at low vision, 1.4.12 Text Spacing…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-1412TextSpacing/

The Whats and Whys of WCAG 2.1
By Nathan Haines.
"…In this post I'd like to give a brief overview of what each
new recommendation is and why we should care about it…"
https://objectpartners.com/2018/08/09/the-whats-and-whys-of-wcag-2-1/

WCAG 2.1 Summary for Web Writers
By Dey Alexander.
"This summary is for web content managers, editors and writers.
It's limited to level A and AA guidelines relevant to content production.
 Organised in topics so you can skip things that aren' t relevant to your role…"
https://4syllables.com.au/articles/wcag-summary-writers/

Rethinking Accessibility: Role-Based Analysis of WCAG 2.0 (Video)
By Bill Tyler.
"Focusing on accessibility with developers after they deliver code
"feels wrong." It should. Analyzing WCAG success criteria reveals
many issues arise from decisions made by other roles well before
a line of code is written…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ovXWPxkA4c
Slides:
https://www.slideshare.net/BillTyler1/a11y-by-design-2018-rethinking-accessibility-20180508

Navigating Accessibility in Two Dimensions
By Sarah Higley.
"…In this two-part series, we first take a closer look at the challenges
 of displaying accessible map markers with the Google Maps API
and then propose some solutions…"
https://www.sitepen.com/blog/2018/08/08/navigating-accessibility-in-two-dimensions/

A Web of Anxiety: Accessibility for People with Anxiety and Panic Disorders [Part 1]
By David Swallow.
"…I talked with several people with anxiety and panic disorders about
aspects of user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design that
 contribute to feelings of anxiety and panic. Several themes emerged…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/08/a-web-of-anxiety-accessibility-for-people-with-anxiety-and-panic-disorders-part-1/

Technologic (Human Afterall): Accessibility Mix (Video)
By Léonie Watson.
"With a little help from Daft Punk, Léonie will explain accessibility mechanics
in the browser, why CSS isn't just about looking good, and what tools
you can use to get ahead of the game…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpjE_eecmY

How To Ask YouTubers To Caption Their Videos
By Rikki Poynter.
"…I've mentioned in a few videos what you can do, but here, I'll give you an
entire list of what you can do and where to do it…"
https://medium.com/@rikkipoynter/how-to-ask-youtubers-to-caption-their-videos-44306bee2a4a

Eleventh Circuit Dunks on Businesses With Websites
By Jennifer Rusie and David Raizman.
"…The court concluded that the alleged barriers on the website
 denied the plaintiff access to the services of the physical locations
 that are available online and permitted the case to move forward…"
https://ogletree.com/shared-content/content/blog/2018/august/eleventh-circuit-dunks-on-businesses-with-websites

BECU Shows ADA Disputes Don't Have to be Acrimonious
By Michael Bartlett.
"Website accessibility has become a hot-button issue for credit unions
over the last year - due in no small part to one law firm in California that
has generated hundreds of demand letters to CUs alleging violations of
the Americans With Disabilities Act, even though in many cases the
alleged plaintiff had no ability to join the credit union in question…"
https://www.cujournal.com/news/becu-shows-ada-disputes-dont-have-to-be-acrimonious

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Everything You Need To Know About Alignment In Flexbox
By Rachel Andrew.
"…we will take a look at the alignment properties, and how these work with Flexbox…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/08/flexbox-alignment/

Switch Font Color for Different Backgrounds with CSS
By Facundo Corradini.
"Ever get one of those, "I can do that with CSS!" moments while
watching someone flex their JavaScript muscles?…"
https://css-tricks.com/switch-font-color-for-different-backgrounds-with-css/

Changes on CSS Grid Layout in Percentages and Indefinite Height
By Manuel Rego Casasnovas.
"A s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶ long story on how percentage work on CSS in general and
in CSS Grid Layout row tracks and gutters particularly."
https://blogs.igalia.com/mrego/2018/08/10/changes-on-css-grid-layout-in-percentages-and-indefinite-height/

+03: COLOR.

End of the Rainbow? New Map Scale Is More Readable by People Who
Are Color Blind (Hat tip to Peter Angelos)
By Betsy Mason.
"The improved palette also avoids some of the problems existing
data visualization schemes pose for people with typical vision…"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/end-of-the-rainbow-new-map-scale-is-more-readable-by-people-who-are-color-blind/

The Possibilities of the color-adjust Property
By Eric Bailey.
"…There are two values for color-adjust: economy and exact.
A value of exact tells the browser it shouldn' t make adjustments
to the colors declared in the stylesheet…"
https://css-tricks.com/the-possibilities-of-the-color-adjust-property/

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

5 Common Rating Scales Explained
By Jeff Sauro.
"…Here are 15 scales, in roughly the order of most to least commonly used…"
https://measuringu.com/rating-scales/

+05: EVENTS.

UX Week 2018
August 21-24, 2018.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://uxweek.com/

Design + Diversity
August 23-25, 2018.
Saint Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
http://designplusdiversity.com/

Quick Start to Captioning
September 6, 2018.
Online
https://www.3playmedia.com/resources/webinars/webinar-registration-09-06-2018/

State of the Browser
September 8, 2018.
London, England, United Kingdom
https://2018.stateofthebrowser.com/

SmashingConf Freiburg
September 10-11, 2018.
Freiburg, Germany
https://smashingconf.com/freiburg-2018/

Developing Accessibility Training Strategies in Higher Ed
September 13, 2018.
Online
https://www.3playmedia.com/resources/webinars/webinar-registration-09-13-2018/

WavePHP
September 19-21, 2018.
San Diego, California, U.S.A.
http://wavephp.com/

+06: HTML.

Is Placeholder Text a Sufficient Accessible Label for Form Fields
By David MacDonald.
"In a mobile first world many websites use placeholder text to save space.
Let's test to see if its a good idea…"
http://davidmacd.com/blog/is-placeholder-accessible-label.html

Understanding Why Semantic HTML is Important, as Told by TypeScript.
By Mandy Michael.
HTML isn't just the foundation that we build our websites on
it plays a vital role in making our websites function as expected across
those platforms and technologies. If you use HTML to it's full potential
from the beginning, you're not just making the most out of built in features
you're making it more functional for people, bots, and for any tech, not just
now but in the future as well…"
https://medium.com/@mandy.michael/understanding-why-semantic-html-is-important-as-told-by-typescript-bd71ad41e6c4

Back to School - Semantic Markup Review
By Harshala Bhandari.
Reduce JS payloads with tree shaking.
"…The benefit of writing semantic HTML stems from what should be the
driving goal of any web page- the desire to communicate…"
https://webprofessionals.org/back-to-school-semantic-markup-review/

Draggable Attribute
By Paul J. Adam.
"This demo is to test screen reader support for the HTML draggable
 attribute and its usage with role=application and aria-grabbed…"
http://pauljadam.com/demos/draggable.html

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

A Little-known Fact About JavaScript Hoisting
By Louis Lazaris.
"At some point when reading about scope in JavaScript, you may
have come across the term hoisting…"
https://www.impressivewebs.com/javascript-hoisting-little-known-fact/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

Stop Building for San Francisco
By Ben Werdmüller.
"Overwhelmingly, our software is built by well-paid teams with huge
monitors and incredibly fast computers running on a high-bandwidth
 internet connection. We run MacBook Pros, we have cinema displays,
we carry iPhones. That's not what the rest of the world looks like…"
https://werd.io/2018/stop-building-for-san-francisco

+09: NAVIGATION.

Accessibility: Keyboard Navigation
By Susan Jean Robertson.
"…Today we' re going to dive into the world of making sure that
people can navigate your site using their keyboard…"
https://susanjeanrobertson.com/writing/accessibility-keyboard

+10: TYPOGRAPHY.

What is Typesetting?
By Tim Brown.
"Typesetting is the most important part of typography,
because most text is meant to be read, and typesetting involves
preparing text for reading.…"
https://alistapart.com/article/flexible-typesetting

+11: USABILITY.

Creating Usability Maturity Models for Large-Scale Projects
By Angela Huenerfauth and David Teller.
"…Usability maturity is our way to measure and track usability
evolution during product development so we know when our
products are ready to ship. This technique is especially useful
for managing large-scale, complex projects…"
http://uxpamagazine.org/creating-usability-maturity-models/

Designing Effective Infographics
By Lexie Martin.
"Information graphics translate data into a visual medium that
is easy to understand and engaging. Integrated visuals with text
and pictures that strengthen each other are the goal, but hard to
achieve."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/designing-effective-infographics/

Choice Overload is Harming Your Users (Video)
By Alita Joyce.
"Excessive product or service offerings can make it impossible
for users to make a decision. Alternatively, too many options can
also cause users to hastily make a decision and later regret their
choice."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/choice-overload-harms-users/

Dark Pattern Design - It's Downright Unethical & Irresponsible
By Ainsley Yeung.
"Dark patterns are tricks on a website or application that mislead
the users so they do something they have no intention to do…"
https://uxplanet.org/dark-pattern-design-its-downright-unethical-irresponsible-c2a3612a1640

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on
how to subscribe and please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the
 accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know
 if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier.
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Preview YouTube video Technologic (Human Afterall): Accessibility mix

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...