[webdev] Web Design Update: August 9, 2018

David Dillard

*

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Aug 9, 2018, 6:58 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 07, August 9, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 07 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: DRUPAL.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
08: JAVASCRIPT.
09: MISCELLANEOUS.
10: NAVIGATION.
11: TOOLS.
12: USABILITY.
13: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 1.4.11 Non‑text Contrast
By Becky Gibson.
"…The contrast of icons and graphical objects is just as important as that of text.
Use sufficient contrast for all elements on the screen."
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-1411Contrast/

1.3.4 Orientation
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"…1.3.4 orientation wants authors not to create any content or functionality
that is restricted to one orientation…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/

Are You Ready for WCAG 2.1 Accessibility Guidelines?
By Jack Niland.
"Jack Niland from Spacecraft, Jadu's web agency partner takes us through
the new guidelines and how they may affect you and your website…"
https://www.jadu.net/blog/TheJaduBlog/post/391/are-you-ready-for-wcag-2.1-accessibility-guidelines

WCAG 2.1 and What the New Criteria Really Mean for Your Website
By Corbb O'Connor and Erin Jones.
"…the new version of W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, WCAG 2.1,
has been released for nearly two months. If you're reading this blog,
you could be asking yourself any number of questions…"
https://siteimprove.com/en-us/blog/wcag-21-and-what-the-new-criteria-really-means-for-your-website/

Why I Love WCAG (And You Should, Too!)
By Jessica Sanders.
"…The internet has given us the world. We're a global community.
And, as a global community, it'd be ideal if we could all access the same,
 necessary information. That's where WCAG comes in to play…"
https://brailleworks.com/why-i-love-wcag-and-you-should-too/

Understanding SC 1.4.2 Audio Control
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"Automatic playing content distracts users, especially cognitive,
screen reader users & will hinder in performing their tasks effectively…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-4-2-audio-control/

Accessible Comics
By Hampus Sethfors.
"…In this article we'll look at a case where a team has done great work
 to make their digital comic accessible to people with visual impairments…"
https://axesslab.com/accessible-comics/

'Never Assume Anything': The Golden Rules for Inclusive Design
By Ellen Tannam.
"Why should developers and designers have inclusivity
at the forefront of every project…"
https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/henny-swan-inclusive-design

TTML Profiles for Internet Media Subtitles and Captions 1.1
By Pierre Lemieux, Editor.
"This document was published by the Timed Text Working Group
as a Candidate Recommendation. This document is intended to become
a W3C Recommendation. Comments regarding this document are welcome…"
https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/CR-ttml-imsc1.1-20180726/

Website Accessibility Lawsuit Calls Foul on the Miami Heat
By Klein Moynihan Turco.
"…Andres Gomez, the Plaintiff named in the website accessibility lawsuit
against the Miami Heat, is alleging that, as a blind man, the Miami Heat's
online store does not provide him with full accessibility…"
http://www.kleinmoynihan.com/website-accessibility-lawsuit-calls-foul-on-the-miami-heat/

11th Circuit Determines Informational Websites
for Places of Public Accommodation Are Subject to ADA
By Robert S. Fine.
"…the 11th Circuit held 'the website is a service that facilitates the use
of Dunkin' Donuts shops which are places of public accommodation.
 And the ADA is clear that whatever goods and services Dunkin' Donuts
offers as a part of its place of public accommodation, it cannot discriminate
against people on the basis of a disability, even if those goods and services
are intangible.'…"
https://www.gtlaw.com/en/insights/2018/7/11th-circuit-determines-informational-websites-for-places

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Being Aware of Initial Values in Your CSS
By Louis Lazaris.
"In CSS, every property has what's referred to as an initial value.
 Sometimes this is called the default value, but the spec uses the term initial,
which I think is a slightly better term…"
https://www.impressivewebs.com/being-aware-of-initial-values-in-your-css/

Save Time With the CSS 'grid' Shorthand Property
By Ian Yates.
"In this tutorial we're going to look at the shorthand property grid
 which quickly deals with all of the above in a single statement…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/save-time-with-the-css-grid-shorthand-property--cms-31590

What Happens When You Create A Flexbox Flex Container?
By Rachel Andrew.
"In my ideal world, CSS Grid and Flexbox would have arrived together,
fully formed to make up a layout system for the web. Instead, however,
we got Flexbox first and, due to it being better at creating grid-type layouts
than floats, we ended up with a lot of Flexbox-based grid systems.
In fact, many of the places where people find Flexbox difficult or confusing
are really due to this attempt to make it a method for grid layout."
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/08/flexbox-display-flex-container/

CSS Properties Index
By Jens Oliver Meiert.
"A continuously updated list of all CSS properties…"
https://meiert.com/en/indices/css-properties/

+03: DRUPAL.

Caring About Webform Accessibility
By Jacob Rockowitz.
"At Design4Drupal in Boston, caring about accessibility became the central
theme for my presentation, titled 'Webform Accessibility'…"
https://www.jrockowitz.com/blog/caring-about-accessibility

Personalization & Accessibility with Drupal
By Mike Gifford.
"…'Fluid is an open, collaborative project to improve the user experience and
inclusiveness of open source software.'…I was convinced of its usefulness.
There was even an existing module for it in Drupal. Unfortunately,
the module was abandoned and hadn't kept up with either Drupal or the Fluid
project. We have now contributed code back to the community to address this
in both Drupal 7 and 8. We want to see this pattern be more widely
implemented on other sites…"
https://openconcept.ca/blog/mike/personalization-accessibility-drupal

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

15 Metrics for UX Benchmarking
By Jeff Sauro.
"A benchmark study tells you where a website, app, or product falls relative
to some meaningful comparison…"
https://measuringu.com/ux-benchmark-metrics/

+05: EVENTS.

A11Y Talks with Dennis Deacon
August 14, 2018.
Online
https://groups.drupal.org/node/534190

Accessible Presentations: How to Design and Deliver Content
for Diverse Audiences
August 21, 2018.
Online.
http://aem.cast.org/about/events/2018/08/design-and-deliver-content-diverse-audiences.html

Better By Design
August 23-24, 2018.
Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
https://betterbydesignconference.com/

Digging in to Inclusive Design with Derek Featherstone
August 28, 2018.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/253435305/

Inclusive Learning and Teaching Environments
Starts September 3, 2018.
Online
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/inclusive-learning-teaching/

Accessibility Camp Chicago 2018
September 8, 2018.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.a11ycampchi.org/

Online Video Accessibility
September 20, 2018.
Online
https://www.accessibilityonline.org/ada-tech/session/?id=110664

+06: HTML.

Enshrining Accessibility at Every Level
By Michiel Bijl.
"When I started to learn HTML, I began with basic elements like h1, p, div,
and button. I learned about semantics, creating sections with headings,
and styling elements with CSS. Unconsciously, I was laying a foundation
of knowledge on how to build accessible websites…"
https://moiety.me/thinks/enshrining-accessibility-at-every-level.html

Nutrition Cards for Accessible Components
By Dave Rupert.
"A11Y Nutrition Cards is an attempt to digest and simplify the accessibility
expectations when it comes to component authoring.
Based on the WAI ARIA Authoring Practices Guide…"
https://davatron5000.github.io/a11y-nutrition-cards/

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Ceci n'est pas une prototype
By Katherine Olvera.
"…A prototype is an internal communication tool, not a product.
This was always clear while designing physical products because
the final production medium was distant from the design tooling…"
https://www.viget.com/articles/ceci-nest-pas-une-prototype/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

Fixing Variable Scope Issues with ECMAScript 6
By Brandon Gregory.
"…But ECMAScript 6 introduced some new features to help give
developers more control of variable scope. Browser support is
pretty great and these features are ready to use for most developers
today. But which to choose? And what, exactly, do they do?…"
https://alistapart.com/article/fixing-variable-scope-issues-with-ecmascript-6

aria-colindex(property) Part 1
By Suman Damera.
"…When aria-colindex property is set on the cell container of the table
 then screen readers would understand column index of that cell and
 announces the column index accordingly…"
http://www.sumandamera.com/aria-colindexproperty_part1/

+09: MISCELLANEOUS.

WorldWideWeb: Summary
By Tim Berners-Lee.
"…On 6 August 1991 @timberners_lee first invited the public to participate
in the world wide web. 'The WWW project merges the techniques of
information retrieval and hypertext to make an easy but powerful global
information system.' He added: 'Try it'…"
https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/1991/08/art-6487.txt

Accessibility in Tech with Haben Girma
By Mark Mandel and Melanie Warrick.
"On this episode of the podcast we continue a conversation we started
 with Haben Girma, an advocate for equal rights for people with
 disabilities, regarding the value of tech accessibility. Melanie and Mark
talk with her about common challenges and best practices when
 considering accessibility in technology design and development…"
https://gcppodcast.com/post/episode-141-accessibility-in-tech/

Interview with Eric Meyer - Part 1
By Nicolas Steenhout.
"Eric talks about accessibility, of course, and semantics,
and frameworks, and more…"
https://a11yrules.com/podcast/e51-interview-with-eric-meyer-part-1/

Securing Web Sites Made Them Less Accessible
By Eric A. Meyer.
"…The drive to force every site on the web to HTTPS
has pushed the web further away from the next billion users-not to mention
a whole lot of the previous half-billion…I saw, first-hand, the negative
externality that was pushed onto people far, far away from our data
centers and our thoughts."
https://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2018/08/07/securing-sites-made-them-less-accessible/

The Bullshit Web
By Nick Heer.
"…An honest web is one in which the overwhelming majority of the code and
assets downloaded to a user's computer are used in a page's visual presentation,
with nearly all the remainder used to define the semantic structure and associated
metadata on the page. Bullshit - in the form of CPU-sucking surveillance,
 unnecessarily-interruptive elements, and behaviours that nobody responsible
for a website would themselves find appealing as a visitor - is unwelcome and
intolerable…"
https://pxlnv.com/blog/bullshit-web/

+10: NAVIGATION.

Removing Site Tracking
By Charlie Owen.
"In truth, Google Analytics has always been a bit of a childish self-validation crutch.
'Look how many visits I'm getting ma!' It doesn't really serve a purpose for me.
I design my site for everybody, so I don't need to track where people are coming from.
I design my site for every device, so I don't need to track OS and Browser.
I have zero interest in the awfully revealing demographic data that GA exposes.
I really have no need to see real-time data on visitors. It's all really for nothing…"
https://sonniesedge.co.uk/posts/removing-tracking

+11: TOOLS.

Specificity Visualizer
By Francesco Schwarz.
"A visual way to analyze the specificity of selectors in CSS."
https://isellsoap.github.io/specificity-visualizer/

+12: USABILITY.

Self-Service UX: 'Cards' Dashboards Must Be Highly Consistent and Appropriately Styled
By Edward Scott.
"Cards can be effective at improving the scannability of the dashboard,
as users should be able to quickly find the account feature they're looking
for by scanning card headers or prominent card content (e.g., 'Your Lists',
'Purchase History', etc.). During testing, however, 'Cards' dashboards
performed poorly when card content wasn't implemented
 with a very high level of consistency."
https://baymard.com/blog/cards-dashboard-layout

Keeping Digital Teams Happy Versus Keeping Customers Happy
By Gerry McGovern.
"…If you really want to deliver excellent customer experience, then measure
use and usefulness. Measure how easy it is for customers to find and use the
things they want to find and use."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/keeping-digital-team-happy-versus-keeping-customers-happy/

Intelligent Assistants: Creepy, Childish, or a Tool? Users'
Attitudes Toward Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri
By Page Laubheimer and Raluca Budiu.
"Users assume that assistants have a low level of competence for complex tasks and
find them to be socially awkward to interact with."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/voice-assistant-attitudes/

What is UX Strategy?
By Charlie Martin.
"As you can imagine, I get asked this question a lot. So, I thought I'd follow up my
recent webinar on this topic with an article (a 5-10 minute read) on what UX Strategy
is and how it can come together…"
https://www.nomensa.com/blog/2018/what-ux-strategy

5 Ways to Lower Your Sites Barrier to Entry
By Ezequiel Bruni.
"All sites have a barrier to entry. The lower you can make that barrier,
the most users you'll encourage to use your site, and the more successful
your endeavors. We look at five ways to reduce barriers to entry on websites…"
https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2018/07/5-ways-to-lower-your-sites-barrier-to-entry/

What Can Bike Sharing Apps Teach Us About Mobile On-boarding Design?
By Luke Wroblewski.
"Given the proliferation of bike/scooter sharing services these days,
I thought it would be interesting to compare the mobile app on-boarding
 experiences of the ones I could access. To do so, I went through the new
 customer flow for six of these services…"
https://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1995

Designing a Complex Table for Mobile Consumption
By Joe Caron.
"When faced with overwhelming content, focusing on user behavior
can help define the design approach…"
https://uxdesign.cc/designing-a-complex-table-for-mobile-consumption-nom-7472f7b11fe6

+13: XML.

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) 2
By W3C.
"This specification defines the features and syntax
for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) Version 2. SVG is a language based on XML
for describing two-dimensional vector and mixed vector/raster graphics…"
https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/CR-SVG2-20180807/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription.
For information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the
 accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know
 if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier.
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson