Topics

moderated #vaccinations #vaccinations

Nelson Vergel

Look at pages 25 and 26 for these recommendations on what vaccines to get while you are aging with HIV

 All the best,

Nelson Vergel

On Oct 1, 2018, at 2:32 PM, OnlyMeIn303 <onlymein303@...> wrote:

My doc is suggesting two additional vaccinations beyond the influenza

She's suggesting the Shingles one Shingrix as well as the Meningitis one Meningococcal ACWY vaccine.
My t'cells are 680, undetectable and on Odefsey

Thanks in advance for any comment or direction from y'all

Theo Smart

These recommendations are dated though — they were last updated in 2014.

Consequently, they do not include any discussion of Shingrix whatsoever. In contrast to Zostervax, which was contra-indicated in people with impaired immunity because it was a live vaccine, Shingrix is a recombinant vaccine. This means there is no chance of it actually causing a zoster virus infection that it is supposed to prevent.

Consequently, it is now recommended for anyone over the age of 50 — except, oddly, people living with HIV. Still. But from what I can tell, there is no good reason for this other than a lack of data in our population. Are they worried that it might have inflammatory activity in people with chronic inflammation? Perhaps.

But shingles is worse.

Given how common and painful shingles is, I’m lobbying to get it from my doctor.

It is more expensive than Zostervax, which means it requires some negotiation to get payers to accept it as well.

On Oct 1, 2018, at 4:44 PM, Nelson Vergel <nelsonvergel@...> wrote:

Look at pages 25 and 26 for these recommendations on what vaccines to get while you are aging with HIV

 All the best,

Nelson Vergel

On Oct 1, 2018, at 2:32 PM, OnlyMeIn303 <onlymein303@...> wrote:

My doc is suggesting two additional vaccinations beyond the influenza

She's suggesting the Shingles one Shingrix as well as the Meningitis one Meningococcal ACWY vaccine.
My t'cells are 680, undetectable and on Odefsey

Thanks in advance for any comment or direction from y'all

Mike Theman

I’ve had both shots of the Shingrix.  The first shot hurt, made me ill for a day, and made my arm turn red.  But I had almost no reaction to the second shot in comparison.  I always tell people to get your first one on a Friday because you might feel sick the following day.

[...]

DREW SISSELMAN <sisselmand@...>

I had shingles in 2004. I kicked it fairly quickly (about 3 weeks). Got t he Zostervax a couple of years ago- not reaction. My HIV doc said the Meningitis Vax is not entirely necessary although my reg. doc suggested it. I’m 63.

On Oct 1, 2018, at 5:32 PM, Mike Theman via Groups.Io <mike_theman@...> wrote:

[...]

Infestdboy@...

This list of recommended vaccinations for ppl with HIV is a bit dated. It recommends no shingles vaccination, but the new vaccine,  Shingrix,  is killed virus and is safe for us.