Topics

Ukrainian American accused of Pidhaitsi war crimes

JK

This story reveals the fact that wartime Ukrainian auxiliaries participated in anti-Ukrainian terror as well:

jerome schatten

Jeff...

A very interesting post -- even more interesting is that the word 'Jew' or 'Jewish' appeared nowhere in the article that I could find. Even when discussing the Warsaw uprising... only 'civilians' were involved. So... once again, history is sanitized and the Jews have been re-categorised as mmm... 'civilians'.

Magnificent work by the Daily Mail -- Feh!

Jerome

JK

Hello,

Jews aren't mentioned because the Ukrainian auxiliaries clearly murdered Ukrainians (and presumably Poles) in the crime mentioned in the article.

By '43 the town's Jews were all dead, hiding, slave laborers* or had fled.

The significance of this article is that the Ukrainians have to once again tend with the historical
fact that their right-wing supporters during the war played an important role in supporting the kind of
Nazi terror that resulted in the death of thousands of their own people.

When I visited Pidhaitsi in 2000 and 2001, I was received warmly by the locals. Many attested to the decent prewar relations experienced
between the towns three minorities. My grandparents recall a similar attitude of acceptance.

A Ukrainian family in Pidhaitsi invited me to their house where they gave me a copy of the Righteous Gentile certificate they received
after appreciative Jewish Pidhaitsers petitioned Vad Yashem to award them the status. The family's elder lost her
mother (a Ms. Sikorski) after it was discovered that the woman had hid the Jewish Kessler boys (a Ukrainian neighbor informed on them).

There was sympathy and regret expressed to me.

It is also important to add that the Ukrainian fascists also murdered and expelled 100,000s of Poles and Czechs from the region, culminating in the crime known as Operation Vistula. That is why, apart from the synagog in Pidhaitsi, a Polish church remains in ruins, a testament to the large Polish community
that once lived in Galicia and Volhynia.

The synagogue of Pidhaitsi was recently cleaned and locked up, an improvement from when I last saw it (in 2000 it was left open, its floor covered in detritus). Someone replaced the roof sometime before 2000, which is promising (the Polish ruin, by comparison, has since lost what was left of its roof, this despite the fact that Poles w/Pidhaitsky roots visit the ruin every year).

I sent money to Meylakh Shekhet in Lviv and he managed to get most of the cemetery enclosed by a fence (to prevent animal grazing). I suspect he or some Chassidic organization re-sanctified the grave of that famous rabbi, figured here in a Ukrainian news piece:

Judging from the interview at the ned with a priest, it appears even the Ukrainian church is beginning to understand the significance of the town's Jewish culture...a promising step, if Ukraine is to join the EU they will have to resolve a couple of bad attitudes.

regards,
Jeff

*Local Pidhajcer, a Dr. Milch wrote about his slave labor experiences in a book.

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:37 PM, "romers@... [podhajce]" wrote:

Jeff...

A very interesting post -- even more interesting is that the word 'Jew' or 'Jewish' appeared nowhere in the article that I could find. Even when discussing the Warsaw uprising... only 'civilians' were involved. So... once again, history is sanitized and the Jews have been re-categorised as mmm... 'civilians'.

Magnificent work by the Daily Mail -- Feh!

Jerome

Cynthia Singer

My great uncle, Shea Walfish , was Dr Milch's brother in law. He was murdered on Yom Kippur.

Meylach Shekhet has been a tireless and most effective advocate for Jewish rights and Jewish life in the Western Ukraine. I treasure his friendship and hold him in the highest esteem.

Best,
Cynthia Singer

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:37 PM, "romers@... [podhajce]" <podhajce@...> wrote:

Jeff...

A very interesting post -- even more interesting is that the word 'Jew' or 'Jewish' appeared nowhere in the article that I could find. Even when discussing the Warsaw uprising... only 'civilians' were involved. So... once again, history is sanitized and the Jews have been re-categorised as mmm... 'civilians'.

Magnificent work by the Daily Mail -- Feh!

Jerome

FRPS

-------------------------------------------- On Sun, 10/5/14, JK jeffckellner@... [podhajce] <podhajce@...> wrote: Subject: Re: [podhajce] Re: Ukrainian American accused of Pidhaitsi war crimes To: podhajce@... Date: Sunday, October 5, 2014, 3:55 PM

Yes, those attitudes need a good look.
[Francine Shapiro]

Hello, Jews aren't mentioned because the Ukrainian auxiliaries clearly murdered Ukrainians (and presumably Poles) in the crime mentioned in the article. By '43 the town's Jews were all dead, hiding, slave laborers* or had fled. The significance of this article is that the Ukrainians have to once again tend with the historicalfact that their right-wing supporters during the war played an important role in supporting the kind ofNazi terror that resulted in the death of thousands of their own people. When I visited Pidhaitsi in 2000 and 2001, I was received warmly by the locals. Many attested to the decent prewar relations experienced between the towns three minorities. My grandparents recall a similar attitude of acceptance. A Ukrainian family in Pidhaitsi invited me to their house where they gave me a copy of the Righteous Gentile certificate they receivedafter appreciative Jewish Pidhaitsers petitioned Vad Yashem to award them the status. The family's elder lost hermother (a Ms. Sikorski) after it was discovered that the woman had hid the Jewish Kessler boys (a Ukrainian neighbor informed on them). There was sympathy and regret expressed to me. It is also important to add that the Ukrainian fascists also murdered and expelled 100,000s of Poles and Czechs from the region, culminating in the crime known as Operation Vistula. That is why, apart from the synagog in Pidhaitsi, a Polish church remains in ruins, a testament to the large Polish communitythat once lived in Galicia and Volhynia. The synagogue of Pidhaitsi was recently cleaned and locked up, an improvement from when I last saw it (in 2000 it was left open, its floor covered in detritus). Someone replaced the roof sometime before 2000, which is promising (the Polish ruin, by comparison, has since lost what was left of its roof, this despite the fact that Poles w/Pidhaitsky roots visit the ruin every year). I sent money to Meylakh Shekhet in Lviv and he managed to get most of the cemetery enclosed by a fence (to prevent animal grazing). I suspect he or some Chassidic organization re-sanctified the grave of that famous rabbi, figured here in a Ukrainian news piece: Найбільший єврейський цвинтар України знаходиться у Підгайцях на Тернопільщині Найбільший єврейський цвинтар України знаходиться...View on www.youtube.comPreview by Yahoo Judging from the interview at the ned with a priest, it appears even the Ukrainian church is beginning to understand the significance of the town's Jewish culture...a promising step, if Ukraine is to join the EU they will have to resolve a couple of bad attitudes. regards,Jeff *Local Pidhajcer, a Dr. Milch wrote about his slave labor experiences in a book.

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:37 PM, "romers@... [podhajce]" <podhajce@...> wrote: Jeff... A very interesting post -- even more interesting is that the word 'Jew' or 'Jewish' appeared nowhere in the article that I could find. Even when discussing the Warsaw uprising... only 'civilians' were involved. So... once again, history is sanitized and the Jews have been re-categorised as mmm... 'civilians'. Magnificent work by the Daily Mail -- Feh! Jerome

jerome schatten

Jeff...

I'm sorry, but I must still disagree with you about the 'significance' of this article.

Just because the article starts recounting the events starting in 1943, that doesn't allow the author to escape prior history -- the history of the Jews in Podhajce who were all but eliminated prior to 1943. Indeed, you can bet that the same swine who were complicit in 1943 were complicit in 1941 and 1942 as well.  Without historical context, this published narrative is simply a story about the Nazi who lives next door.

It would not have take much for the author to have provided some additional context around these events. I find the lack thereof to be purposefully offensive.  To me the article is yet another example of the sanitizing of history; not for what it says, but for what it fails to say.  Specifically, substituting the word 'citizen' for the word 'Jew' regarding the Warsaw 'uprising', seems a throwback to Soviet times.

I am not unfamiliar with the large number of Ukrainians awarded the title of 'Righteous' by Yad Vashem; or by the expressions of sorrow proffered by locals to visitors; or those who had actively put their own lives at risk helping Jews during their darkest days. Indeed I am cautiously optimistic that things are improving, especially as regards the attitudes of the young.

It is not surprising to me that Nazis still live among us and that locals aided them; I would argue that this is not the 'significance' of the article. The significance is in the article's thinly veiled attempt to rewrite history.

With respect,
Jerome Schatten

On 14-10-05 06:55 AM, JK jeffckellner@... [podhajce] wrote:

[...]

Were the Singers from Pidhaitsi? I met a man from San Francisco named Singer and he was my grandfather's exact double. Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: "Cynthia L Singer CLS316@... [podhajce]" Sent: 05/10/2014, 6:41 PM To: podhajce@... Subject: Re: [podhajce] Re: Ukrainian American accused of Pidhaitsi war crimes My great uncle, Shea Walfish , was Dr Milch's brother in law. He was murdered on Yom Kippur. Meylach Shekhet has been a tireless and most effective advocate for Jewish rights and Jewish life in the Western Ukraine. I treasure his friendship and hold him in the highest esteem. Best, Cynthia Singer >

JK

Of course the article should have mentioned Jews but unfortunately there is no evidence that Karkoc is tied to the murder of Jews. But I agree with you that he was most likely guilty of this crime. He was not a Pidhaitser (once he enlisted, he was stationed there).

Because this is a criminal investigation, its important to have evidence...so the journalist cannot accuse Karkoc of participating in the Shoah. But there is evidence he killed Christians and that is good enough for me. I hope his citizenship is revoked.

Its good to point out that we see a trickle of Ukrainian fascists being prosecuted because they are not covered by the amnesty laws that protect most medium/low level German war criminals. Low level German officers who participated in killing 1000s, even 10,000s of people got away with short prison sentences or even no punishment at all. But those who lied on their way to the West still can.

Just a clarification. The Warsaw Uprising that Karkoc was involved in was the latter one, the (mostly Catholic) Polish rebellion that saw the destruction of the entire city, the victims were mostly Catholic Poles. The Jewish uprising took place earlier and concentrated around the Jewish neighborhood, which is why the author doesn't mention Jews.

The current war in east Ukraine is clear evidence that the Ukrainians are still struggling with their fascist past. The Ukrainian Right is currently popular in west Ukraine, and they have played a troubling role in Maidan and now, in the new gov't...not sure Washington knows who there dealing with, the US is trying to soften their intentions.

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:50 PM, "Jerome Schatten romers@... [podhajce]" wrote:

[...]

no Jeff..They were Walfish