Topics

The Lost Synagogues of Manhattan

mervinr@...

Announcement has been made of the publication of the book “The Lost Synagogues of Manhattan” by Ellen Levitt.

Included is Congregation Masas Benjamin Anshe Podhajce/Congregation Rudeph Shalom Independent/ Podhajce.

To order, phone 1-800-286-8296.

The cost is $26.00  I have no connection with this and am sending it strictly for your information.

Jean Rosenbaum

P.S.  There is also information about this Congregation on the Podhajce website at

Carol Cohen

thank you.  Carol Cohen

On Nov 16, 2013, at 6:37 PM, mervinr@... wrote:

Announcement has been made of the publication of the book “The Lost Synagogues of Manhattan” by Ellen Levitt.

Included is Congregation Masas Benjamin Anshe Podhajce/Congregation Rudeph Shalom Independent/ Podhajce.

To order, phone 1-800-286-8296.

The cost is $26.00  I have no connection with this and am sending it strictly for your information.

Jean Rosenbaum

P.S.  There is also information about this Congregation on the Podhajce website at

elissa sampson

The Shul is also well documented in a new book by Gerard Wolfe: The Synagogues of New York's Lower East Side, a Retrospective and Contemporary view. The second edition (Fordham Press) was published in 2013. Pages 132-137 with photos. The book party was at the Tenement Museum.

Full disclosure: I helped on the research as did many others on the Lower East Side:)