Topics

Test Yahoo Podhajce Group > Groups.io Podhajce Group... Testing

Jerome Schatten

Greetings Podhajcers...

By now 79 of the 99 members of this group should have received a notice that I have moved the group from Yahoo Groups to Groups.IO. 20 email addresses bounced during the transition, and they, if they ever figure it out, those folks whose email has bounced will have to join the new group.

If you indeed received a notice, then you should be good to go. The URL of the new site is http://groups.io/g/podhajce/ It should allow you to send and receive messages just as before without changing your login name or password or anything else. The two interfaces, old and new look pretty much the same.

The main reason for switching to another provider for our discussion group is the miserable performance of Yahoo in protecting your data (and mine), and in general their new privacy policies which I could not in good conscience commit to, and by extension, commit you to.

For now, both portals should work. That is, if you post to, or read posts from http://groups.yahoo.com/podhajce/ OR http://groups.io/g/podhajce/  both should work and both should continue sending you mail. That said, after a while, the Yahoo group will not work because I will have not agreed to their privacy policy as a group owner.

So there you are... Hopefully, either the new group's website on-line help can answer you questions, or I can try.

The best to you all and let's hope for more Podhajce group activity in the future than in the last year <g>.

Jerome Schatten
Group Owner for groups.io/g/podhajce/ & groups.yahoo.com/podhajce/
iromicu@...

Magda Bogin

Good move!
Admire your stand.

Thank you and greetings.

Magda Bogin, Director

On May 26, 2018, at 1:39 AM, Jerome Schatten <iromicu@...> wrote:

[...]

Jill Rothwell

Thank you Jerome for your efforts. I was in Podhajce about 18 months ago when I visited three nearby hamlets of Laskivtsi, Mateushivka and Vivsya. My great grandfather, Samuel BIEDER started life as a goose herd in Laskivtsi and ended up running a large leased estate with distillery at Vivsya. Today these remote Ruthenian hamlets look poor, run down with few people and crumbling houses along both sides of a lumpy pot holed track which in winter would turn to mud. Any young have left for the cities, mechanisation is low with mainly horses and carts and a few Soviet era army vehicles. The land/steppe is very horizontal with rich black soil.
Few Jews would have lived in these hamlets but anyone with any connections here it would be great to connect.
Jill Bieder (Rothwell)
Auckland, New Zealand

Jerome Schatten

Hi Jill and good good to hear from you again!

Did you by any chance take any photos on your journey through the hamlets? If so, you can post them to the website. I’m not quite sure how that works with the new site, but I’ll take a few moments to find out. I’m sure others would be interested in such photos if you have them.

All the best,
jerome

On May 26, 2018, at 00:36, jillrothwell@... wrote:

Thank you Jerome for your efforts. I was in Podhajce about 18 months ago when I visited three nearby hamlets of Laskivtsi, Mateushivka and Vivsya. My great grandfather, Samuel BIEDER started life as a goose herd in Laskivtsi and ended up running a large leased estate with distillery at Vivsya. Today these remote Ruthenian hamlets look poor, run down with few people and crumbling houses along both sides of a lumpy pot holed track which in winter would turn to mud. Any young have left for the cities, mechanisation is low with mainly horses and carts and a few Soviet era army vehicles. The land/steppe is very horizontal with rich black soil.
Few Jews would have lived in these hamlets but anyone with any connections here it would be great to connect.
Jill Bieder (Rothwell)
Auckland, New Zealand

jerome schatten

Thanks Magda for letting us know there are still warm bodies interested in things Podhajce!
Best,
jerome

On May 25, 2018, at 23:05, Magda Bogin <director@...> wrote:

Good move!
Admire your stand.

Thank you and greetings.

Magda Bogin, Director
Under the Volcano

[...]

I’d be delighted to send some photos to the website. I’ll give it a go myself but I may need some help. I’ll let you know, Jill

Jean Rosenbaum

Thanks Jerome for continuing your service to Podhajce researchers for so many years.

Jean Rosenbaum

[...]

And thank you for starting the List in the first place, and your work in getting the Podhajce Yizkor book published, and, and….
Best,
jerome

On May 27, 2018, at 11:51, Jean Rosenbaum <jrosenbaum1417@...> wrote:

Thanks Jerome for continuing your service to Podhajce researchers for so many years.

Jean Rosenbaum

Randall Babtkis

YES, thank you Jerome for taking good care of us and for building a new link.

Like Jill, and some others here, I visited Podhajce in late 2016, along with my cousin Margaret Hellman of Copenhagen, and my wife, writer Carolyn Cooke. It was my second visit, though no easier to get around those rutted roads than in 2011. It seemed there were a few more cars, and a few less donkey carts slowing us down, but the infrastructure has not been improved since the Soviet era. Alex Dunai aldunai@... of Lviv was our driver/translator. In 2016 we drove a bit further to visit two more villages, Vyshnivchyk and Issakow, mentioned in family documents. Issakow possibly holds a key to the origins to my mother’s family name, Esecover.

Unlike Podhajce and Vyshnivchyk, Issakow was not really a Jewish populated village  – no Hebrew graveyard there. But we managed to hear, firsthand, at least one living memory of a next-door-neighbor presence: kids playing together in the open space between Jewish and non-Jewish houses, before the war.

Regarding Caryl Foster's question yesterday, my experience was that Ukraine is not an effortless (or uncomplicated) country to visit. We reached Podhajce, via an overnight train from Krakow, Poland, not far from to the beautiful and crumbling city of Lviv. Alex arranged a hotel there on my first trip in 2011, picked me up the next morning, and drove us to Podhajce. The drive lasted about two hours, each way. Carolyn noticed a detail I missed on my first drive with Alex – a baseball bat he carries in the back seat of his Mitsubishi Outlander.

Podhajce, like Issakow and Vyshnivchyk all emptied of Jewish life – those villages still exist! Hope to get back again one day soon.

Randall Babtkis

Caryl Foster <caryl_foster@...>

Thanks so much for the in sight Randall!!!!

On Monday, May 28, 2018 9:41 AM, Randall Babtkis <tsilent@...> wrote:

[...]

Ellen Epstein

Thanks for sending me the link to the new group.

I'm still trying to find out about my grandmother, Chane/Hannah Goldfleiss and her family from Podhajce.  I've encountered several emails and articles and think that her last name might have been anglicized to Goldfleiss from Goldflysch, Goldfleisch or Goldflisch.

I'm hoping that maybe someone in the group might have some knowledge with a family with the last name of Goldflysch, Goldfleisch or Goldflisch from Podhajce.

Thanks in advance for all of your help,
Ellen Epstein

On Sunday, May 27, 2018, 1:51:48 PM CDT, Jean Rosenbaum <jrosenbaum1417@...> wrote:

[...]

Randall, so interested to hear of your visit. Your Ruthenian towns sound similar to the hamlets we visited. We did our trip also with Alex Dunai and driven by Vassily. I put a bunch of images on this site, so hope these are visible.
Regards
Jill Rothwell
--
Jill Rothwell 34C Arney Crescent Remuera Auckland 1050 New Zealand E: jillrothwell@... T: +64 21655529

jerome schatten

Yes Jill your photos are visible and excellent - good work!
j.