Topics

Surnames in Podhajce

gwhaken

It has been a long time since I posted so I am repeating my info. From the LDS Podhajce film I found Jutta Hacken married to Yechil David Loewe. They had two children, Isaak Loeb b. 1876 died at age 2 and Sara Gittel born 1879 and died at 5 months. The record did tell me that Jutta's mother Shaindel Leah Hacken was the midwife. Shaindel Leah Buchwald was married to Moishe Mendel Hacken and they lived in Vishnevchik which was very close to Podhajce. Many of the Hackens lived in the area. Always glad to share what I have found.
Georgia

Cynthia Singer

Hi all,
My name is Cindy Lacher Singer.
My maternal grandfather, Menachim Mendel Walfish was from Verbiv, and his brother,my uncle, was Shea Walfish (Wolfisch) who lived and perished in Podhajce (or more likely Berezhany) on Yom Kippur 1941. He was married to Babcia Milch.  Family lore was that he survived in the woods along with a son, returned to claim his home, and was then murdered. However, upon reading Dr. Bernard Milch's "Can Heavn Be Void" and his testimonies, I learned that Shea (his brother-in-law)was killed in Berezhany.  It is one of those mysteries of fate that my daughter and I were in Berezgany in 1996We and met a man who was willing to talk to us about the War. Later that day he assembled his entire family and told them for the first time what he had witnessed as a young boy. He spoke of how the ground moved for days and the blood flowed. We did record this but he was unwillng to provide permission to publish it. Now, I can hardly believe that I saw where, and heard from an eyewitness, about the probable slaughter of my uncle.

Other family were GGF Ohring and  Chaim Muhlstock (from Glina).

Any further information is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am just now reading "Together and Apart in Brzezany" by Simon Redlich. It covers the period 1919-1945. Some of my curiosity pertains to what "war" my grandfather was enlisted by the Poles and endrd up in Siberia as a POW around 1920 or so. He returned to Glina (home of my grandmother  Yidis Muhlstock Walfish, where my mother was born. They also lived in Pomurin and in Peremyshliany.

On my paternal side, my Grandmother was Anna Paget from Bibrka. My grandfather was Isadore Lacher from Chororov ( or nearby).

My last visit was in 1998. However, i am in frequent contact with Meylach Schocket. Some of you also have this pleasure of knowing him. I am hoping to raise money so that the Jewish Cemetery in Glina ( Glinianny) will be protected from privatization. We worked  on getting the Bibrka mass grave protected as well.

I welcome another visit- with your group if that can be arranged.

All the best.
Cindy Lacher Singer
Westport, CT

On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:39 AM, "gwhaken" <gwhaken@...> wrote:

It has been a long time since I posted so I am repeating my info. From the LDS Podhajce film I found Jutta Hacken married to Yechil David Loewe. They had two children, Isaak Loeb b. 1876 died at age 2 and Sara Gittel born 1879 and died at 5 months. The record did tell me that Jutta's mother Shaindel Leah Hacken was the midwife. Shaindel Leah Buchwald was married to Moishe Mendel Hacken and they lived in Vishnevchik which was very close to Podhajce. Many of the Hackens lived in the area. Always glad to share what I have found.
Georgia

elissa sampson

I also highly recommend both the video footage and the book "Together and Apart in Brzezany" by Simon Redlich. These two communities histories have been intertwined for a long time and the War brought them abruptly together.

I am from the Stanton Street Shul, a.k.a., B'nai Jacob, Anshei Brzezan, which is about a five minutes walk from the remaining Podhacjer Shul here in the Lower East Side (see below). My name is Elissa Sampson, and I'm from the Kellner and Citron families in Podhacje. I, and one other immigrant from Podhacje, Abbie Roth who had left in the 1920s as a child, davened at the Brzezaner shul.

This is a photo of the Podhacjer Shul's Yinglish gate (the building is now a residence with apartments). It was built in 1926, a relatively late date for a Lower East Side Shul.

[...]

Didn't know there is video footage for the book.

My mother Bella Walfish Lacher lived with her parents Max and Ida Walfish at 66 willett St and their knish store, M.Walfish was at 237 Stanton St.
I remember going to shul a few doors away from the house on Willett Street but don't remember the name. I remember the frescoes and remember sitting upstairs.

Warmest regards,
Cindy

[...]

STEPHEN BAUMRIND

Hi Elissa,
My great-grandfather Rabbi Sholom Baumrind and his son Rabbi Harold Baumrind were connected in one of the Podhajce synagogues in New York. It was sold and the funds transferred to create a synagogue in Israel. Could this be the synagogue you mention?
Rabbi Sholom Baumrind came to this country in the late 1880s and I assume his father Mordecai and grandfather Rabbi Moshe Baruch Besin are buried in Podhajce. I wish there were a was to find out more about them than just names on my great=grandfather's tombstone.
Thanks for your post.
Capt. Stephen Baumrind, USCGR-RET

[...]

Cynthia et al,

The Brzezan discussion that is in video footage was from an interview that was made a few years ago in which Redlich was asked about his childhood after writing his book. I saw it because I was interested in the last Jewish film made in Poland right after the war. He was interviewed since he was in that film since he went to school in the orphanage that is featured in Unzere Kinder (Our Children, by Shumacher and Dzigan).

You are right about the Lower East Side. That's the place 180 Stanton Street. The Stanton Street Shul, a.k.a., Bnai Jacob, Anshei Brzezan, which can be read about at stantonstshul.com/  It is now trying to raise the money to keep the building going since its walls are a mix of 1840 and 1913, and in bad shape. The Jewish zodiac drawings (mazelos) are still there, although they are also in bad shape.

Willet Street has only the Bialystoker shul left; most of the street got chopped off by urban "renewal."

[...]

Stephen et al,

If your family's shul was sold around 1990, it is the building that you see below at 108 E. 1st Street, off of Houston Street. How that happened is its own story.

There is another, older synagogue Lower East Side building which I can research. I think that Jean posted on it a while back and it may have been sold much further back, since I don't remember it as part of a "living" community.

[...]

Elissa,
The Synagogue I referred to is Massas Binyomin Anshei Podhajce in Maalot Dafna, Jerusalem and was dedicated April 20, 1992.

From: Elissa Sampson
To: "podhajce@..."
Cc: CINDY ; Meylakh Sheykhet Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:25 PM

[...]

Yes. That is the same story then and the photo I sent is of that building. "The building, located at 108 East First Street was built in 1926 as a synagogue for Congregation Masas Benjamin." Around 1990, the then rabbi sold the building and moved to Jerusalem. So it seems that the money may have gone into creating another shul and for whatever reason he apparently kept the original Podhajcer name, which is interesting since when he ran the building here he had called it Beth Yitchok. When it became an apartment building, the beautiful interior was destroyed although the exterior is intact. See: http://www.panmodern.com/synagoguespace.html

There were also the Podhajcer Young Men's Benevolent Association shul  I see from YIVO/Joint records also that the Young Men's Benevolent Association was still active in 1939.

There were other shuls connected to the town in the Lower East Side such as the First United Podhaycer (see below).

26Rivington Street Podgaitsy, Ukraine First United Podhaycer

I also see from past group emails that Jean Rosenbaum documented some of these other shuls including "The Podhajcer Rabbi Schulem Lilienfeld Association"

[...]

Stephen, Hi.
The reason I’m reaching out to you is because my surname is also Baumrind and I would like to find out if we are related. You seem to know the Baumrind’s family History and since it’s not such a common name, I’d be eager to find out more.

STEPHEN BAUMRIND

Hi Moshe.

Perhaps, if you can give me as much of your lineage as possible (Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather, etc.) I'll be able to see if your group fits with mine. It would also help to know where your family lived in the 1800s, and where you live now.

There are several Moshe Baumrinds in my family also.

Regards,

Stephen

On Sunday, March 3, 2019, 10:45:27 AM EST, Moshe Baumrind <Moshebaumrind@...> wrote:

Stephen, Hi.
The reason I’m reaching out to you is because my surname is also Baumrind and I would like to find out if we are related. You seem to know the Baumrind’s family History and since it’s not such a common name, I’d be eager to find out more.

Carol Cohen

the only names I have are Waldmann, Konrad and Teitelbaum.  CG Waldman Cohen

On Mar 3, 2019, at 7:06 PM, STEPHEN BAUMRIND via Groups.Io <sjbaumrind@...> wrote:

Hi Moshe.

Perhaps, if you can give me as much of your lineage as possible (Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather, etc.) I'll be able to see if your group fits with mine. It would also help to know where your family lived in the 1800s, and where you live now.

There are several Moshe Baumrinds in my family also.

Regards,

Stephen

On Sunday, March 3, 2019, 10:45:27 AM EST, Moshe Baumrind <Moshebaumrind@...> wrote:

Stephen, Hi.
The reason I’m reaching out to you is because my surname is also Baumrind and I would like to find out if we are related. You seem to know the Baumrind’s family History and since it’s not such a common name, I’d be eager to find out more.

teknimart

I do not recall the original post but a Teitelbaum was in the wedding party of my greatgrandparents - leib gang and sarah feld or felk.
I think were are related to teiltelbaum as I recall the name from my childhood.

renee gang

Carol Cohen

the Teitelbaums first settled in Philadelphia.  the oldest son wasDr, Michael, second son, SAM) was physicist in White Sands, NM and the third son was Adolph who live most of his life in dallas, TX.  He died last year at the age of 99.  His mother’s maiden name was Konrad.  cg

On Mar 8, 2019, at 10:31 AM, teknimart via Groups.Io <Teknimart@...> wrote:

I do not recall the original post but a Teitelbaum was in the wedding party of my greatgrandparents - leib gang and sarah feld or felk.
I think were are related to teiltelbaum as I recall the name from my childhood.

renee gang

Christopherdroid101@...

Stephen, I came across your comments about Shulem Baumrind while researching his Congregation Massas Benjamin. I have been looking into the my family history recently. I'm Tim's son, Valerie's grandson, Elliot's great grandson, Max's 2nd great grandson, and Shulem is my 3rd great grandfather.
Would you be able to help me fill in the gaps in my knowledge about Shulem and his family?

STEPHEN BAUMRIND

Hello Christopher,
Your Grandmother Valerie was a great favorite of mine, and my first cousin. Uncle Elliot and my father Harold were brothers.
Their father Max was the son of Rabbi Shulem Baumrind, grandson of Mordechai Baumrind, and great grandson of Rabbi Moshe
Baruch Bezin. When I was 12 Max told me I was the 7th oldest son. Since I've given you the 6 generations I know, I'm still
looking for that 7th oldest son (Rabbi Moshe Baruch Bezin's father). If, in your searches, you find him, please let me know.
Hope this helps.
Captain Stephen J.Baumrind, USCGR=RET (the full title). Your Mom called me Steve.

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 7:44:16 PM EDT, <Christopherdroid101@...> wrote:

Stephen, I came across your comments about Shulem Baumrind while researching his Congregation Massas Benjamin. I have been looking into the my family history recently. I'm Tim's son, Valerie's grandson, Elliot's great grandson, Max's 2nd great grandson, and Shulem is my 3rd great grandfather.
Would you be able to help me fill in the gaps in my knowledge about Shulem and his family?

Jean Rosenbaum

Christopher--Are you familiar with the website
www.kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Podhajce  ?  There is information about Congregation Massas Benjamin there.

To make any additions, please contact the webmaster Jerome Schatten at

Sincerely,
Jean Rosenbaum

good_old_reliable

Jean,

Chag sameach to you and all.  I am using this non-work day to do some long-overdue catch up, including all-things Podhajce.  Your email below prompted me to follow the link, and to the page about Congregations Massas Benjamin.  On that page I found the following about the shul:

The cornerstone says:
In memory of the brothers Shimon and Yisroel, sons of Moshe Einshtases (ad menucha, i.e., to his eternal rest), an offering on behalf of their mother, Golda Einshtases, 1926.

This info is news to me, important to me, and sent shivers down my spine:  Shimon ("Zygmunt" or "Sigmund") Einstoss was my great uncle. Yisroel ("Sruel" or "Irving") Einstoss (known by Greenberg, Golda's maiden name, as required by then-applicable-in-Podhajce Austro-Hungarian law), was my maternal grandfather.  Both of them were machers in the smoked fish industry, which I imagine was how they had the means to contribute to the construction of the shul.

This group continues to be a blessing.

Jon

Christopher--Are you familiar with the website
www.kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Podhajce  ?  There is information about Congregation Massas Benjamin there.

To make any additions, please contact the webmaster Jerome Schatten at

Sincerely,
Jean Rosenbaum

Jean Rosenbaum

Jon--that is really exciting.  I almost didn't respond to the original letter.  Now I am so glad that I did.

Jean